Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wish the Model 3 had the new Model S steering wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've had a similar wheel since 2018. I liked it so much I currently have a carbon fiber one that I got after the white one Like not having a binnacle it took about a week to get use to. For parking lot turns it took a couple weeks but that could easily be improved with a software update. The extra view greatly exceeds any negatives and I do not think of it unless someone asks or points.

It's up to Tesla to use its persuasion power that it's safe to take your eyes off the road to peck for the correct flat icon to do essential operations in driving because, with Robtaxi, you won't even need a driver to drive in the first place.

It's pretty clear to me Elon believes Robotaxi is The Only Way which means there will be some percentage of folks that will stop buing/not buy a Tesla. Not that it matter much, but I'm leaning that way now since I enjoy driving my own car and don't find some of these incremental changes to be attractive, engaging or safe. Just me

Reactions: Dolemite
A witness who tweeted on 03/18/2021 took pictures of the newly refreshed Model S on the delivery truck and in one picture, the rounded steering wheel is still there. I like it that way, but it's quite confusing: Which version is the official production that consumers pay for? The yoke web version or the rounded steering wheel real-life version?

"Mark @CodingMark
Four leaf clover
JACKPOT!!!
Fire
Refreshed S and Plaid S spotted on truck leaving Fremont Factory!
Exploding head
Couldn’t see any yokes
Cooking
"

EwyNo8kVgAM12Sv[1].jpg

A witness who tweeted on 03/18/2021 took pictures of the newly refreshed Model S on the delivery truck and in one picture, the rounded steering wheel is still there. I like it that way, but it's quite confusing: Which version is the official production that consumers pay for? The yoke web version or the rounded steering wheel real-life version?

"Mark @CodingMark
Four leaf clover
JACKPOT!!!
Fire
Refreshed S and Plaid S spotted on truck leaving Fremont Factory!
Exploding head
Couldn’t see any yokes
Cooking
"

View attachment 646172

The yoke to get people talking about it. The round one for people to get into it.

Reactions: drtimhill
Is it even possible to drive with a steering wheel like this?...
Yes, it is possible. See the testimony for driving the yoke steering wheel in the Knight Rider.

Racecar driver Randy Pobst has lots of experience with it.

I felt this was some kind of prototype thing and will come with a regular circle steering wheel for final product.

I don't see it is understood as a prototype because when you order it, you got all the pictures of the yoke steering and all the explanation of why you paid for it.

Still haven't seen a youtube video of the final product of this new interior.

True! That's why consumers need to know where they can rely on so they can know what they are buying for.

When the early SUV Model X came out, the website had pictures that the rear seats were not foldable. If consumers thought an SUV must have foldable rear seats and bought it based on the website disclosure, they would be very surprised.

Without a youtube video, how do you know what you get except for the pictures and their descriptions?

Reactions: smogne41 and Phlier
Mines not a yoke, it's made of carbon fiber/leather, but it feels way better than stock, very grippy and looks great with my white interior 👍underrated upgrade IMO.

The stock one just feels "cheap" and economy to me compared to other M cars and AMGs I've sat in.

Not to mention with the flat bottom its even easier to rest your hand on corner of the wheel on autopilot.

I might replace the CF Tesla logo with a white one.

Attachments

• 20210311_110548.jpg
    20210311_110548.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Mines not a yoke, it's made of carbon fiber/leather, but it feels way better than stock, very grippy and looks great with my white interior 👍underrated upgrade IMO.

The stock one just feels "cheap" and economy to me compared to other M cars and AMGs I've sat in.

Not to mention with the flat bottom its even easier to rest your hand on corner of the wheel on autopilot.

I might replace the CF Tesla logo with a white one.
Like that wheel a lot, if you don't mind where did you get it - from VQcarbonCustoms? Any thoughts on the quality?

Like that wheel a lot, if you don't mind where did you get it - from VQcarbonCustoms? Any thoughts on the quality?
Yup, VQcarbon, here is the link
Seller stated this was the 1st Tesla one they've done but it looks amazing, quality materials and stitching... don't notice any visible flaws. Here is a closer picture during the day to give you a better idea.

They did increase the price a little since I bought but it's still well priced with the competition.

Attachments

• 20210311_164002.jpg
    20210311_164002.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: KenC
Thanks. I didn't notice until I could zoom in the picture for the icons:

09 o'clock position: Left turn
10 o'clock position: Right turn
11 o'clock position: Headlight
13 o'clock position: Horn
14 o'clock position: Wipers
15 o'clock position: Microphone

So instead of pushing on the center of the steering wheel, maybe I could push on the 13 o'clock position for the Horn. Or maybe I'll just leisurely scroll the scrolling wheel until the correct icon lights up then push on that scrolling wheel.

Sounds like too many steps just to become a whistleblower!
Can someone 'splain what 13, 14 and 15 o'clock is?

• Funny
Reactions: drtimhill
Can someone 'splain what 13, 14 and 15 o'clock is?

My bad! My brain screwed up! I got the wrong terminology. In the military, the clock goes to 13 hundred hours for 1PM, then after that, 14 hundred hours for 2PM. Somehow I messed up and thought about 13 hundred hours (when I have never in the military) instead of just a plain number 1 for 1AM and 1PM...