Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I WON! Thanks to this forum!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's crazy. You will pay for it, you will (presumably) pay for the electicity, since you are renting. The HOA is fine with it, but the owner gave you problems?! As I see it you just increased the value of his or her property, expanded the pool of renters they can get, and they gave you problems?! As long as the permitting and inspection is fine, they should be thanking you for doing this.

Reactions: ModelX and AMPd

What changed? Did someone else convince him? Did you find something new to say that changed his mind? Did he just give in to a repeated request with nothing different in the last attempt?

I had the impression it was this:

I referred him to the California law that prevents condo owners from not allowing EV owners to install charging equipment.

As a former apartment manager, I find that apartment owners and managers get tired of the myriad endless laws that imply, declare or dictate this or that (often contradictory or nonsensical), and the general approach we would take in management before we did the due diligence for looking up legal interpretations and such was to initially attempt the opening of negotiating a friendly outcome with the (potential or actual) tenants regarding any issues. Keeping this in mind, I think a good first approach for a tenant/titled occupant with a potential landlord would be to approach with the figurative stick and carrot at the same time. I'm painting a picture in my mind of a friendly smiling face of a tenant with a closed titled binder of laws in one arm and a friendly gesture in the other hand, perhaps the rent check, or something the landlord enjoys, and make offers, such as "I would love to put up a nice looking (or if the landlord prefers, menacing looking or mean looking) aperture for my EV plug with associated electrical connections all to code, and I'll pay for it", etc. If the landlord becomes alarmed that such a demanding odd reformatting of the actual structure of his property is being requested by one of its transient customers (you) (to which the reflexive reaction would mandatorily be NO since it would impede their ability to carry their loan, liability insurance, permits with the city with which they have a complicated relationship already, god knows what type of tax and engineering worms, the potential of opening up of hidden unseen as-built situations that might cause a chain reaction of bankrupting violations tallied by regulators, etc.), then you can open the bookmarked highlighted text of the code and say "... and therefore I wouldn't have to bring this to the next level to ask for my legal rights as dictated by this law" and not really make a big deal about it beyond that, because the landlord will know that if you come with both carrot and stick, that the stick means a lot, and they will take it very seriously. You leave them the bookmarked copy of legal text for them to keep (with proper excerpting, bibliography, formality, etc.), and the carrot, and essentially they'll skim the law, reconcile the law with their own references to make sure you didn't fabricate the law, and then look at your carrot with enthusiasm. Remember, the landlord will still look at this like a negotiation (and have a lot of things they'd like to do conservatively to avoid trouble, such as hire an electrician that can do per code, dot i's, cross t's, safely, good work, and not rock the boat and cause trouble to rear its head so to speak --- who knows what kind of transformer reassessments this could trigger by the utility, or digging or rebuilding costs in the thousands of dollars), so it's best if you continue to make the process compatible with this (negotiating) approach, but at this point I think they will be much more open to the process overall. Just one suggestion.

Last edited: