Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wonder how many of the people unhappy about V11 are really trolls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So you wonder, but don't want anyone to respond. Seems like you want a validation of your thoughts.

One is very free to join here or any other automotive site. People that do as you suggest tend to get found out quick. They also tend to have a few posts and they are probably snickering away in their own little world. For that I would say that there seems to be more than FUD people out there. I mean the ones I know myself included have rolled with the changes. Yet this time it is different.

Last edited:
Since this appears to be a genuine question, here is my opinion (as a regular user, not a moderator) on your question.

I honestly dont think that very many of the posts are people who join "just" to spread negativity regarding Tesla. While that happens in some cases, I dont think thats the case here.

What I DO think is happening, however, is "mob mentality". Once a subject (especially a negative one) gains traction, there is a tendency in group think for people to say "yeah me too! and... and.... and!!!!"

Its much easier to make a "mob" online than in person, but its the same thing as people carrying "torches and pitchforks" in olden times. Its just online and easier to organize now.

In fact, many of the "spread negativity" type people are those who try to ignite this "mob mentality" aspect. It usually only takes a few people to do this (get people stirred up). Couple all this with the fact that teslas CEO is a very polarizing figure, AND that some people have "money" involved in tesla stock so have an incentive to either drive down, or try to drive up, the stock, and you have a ready made recipe for this type of thing.

This doesnt even count the people who join forums and like to troll in general, or as they would likely characterize it "keep the conversation going". These people are trolls but not necessarily trying to do anything but just get people riled up / talking. TMC has plenty of those too.

Throw all that together, and its pretty easy to "incite a mob" here on a hot button topic.

Thats my opinion on it anyway.

Human Nature: We want change and something new until we get it. Then we hate the unknown and learning curve the change brings. Then we learn it and adapt, plus it is updated and gains practical improvements and it then becomes the standard. In a year or two when v12 comes out it will be a repeat of the same crying "I want v11 back. It was sooooo much better".

And then there are those who legitimately feel as though their $50k vehicle has been destroyed. Not because of an inability to adapt to change... but because v11 is genuinely much worse than its predecessor.

My car still drives.. so that part's okay. But a big part of a Tesla is the screen and UI. These things aren't just about entertainment, but necessary for safe operation of the vehicle.

Version 11 is bad. I wouldn't even call it subjective. It's mind-blowing that someone thought it was good to banish important safety controls from the bottom and replace them with "your choice of 5 entertainment icons".

I've defended Tesla's choices many times. Now I'm starting to think that whatever employees are in a department at any given time have complete unmanaged control, and right now the folks working on the frontend are young, inexperienced, and haven't the foresight to consider all of the drivers that don't live in California's climate.

And then there are those who legitimately feel as though their $50k vehicle has been destroyed. Not because of an inability to adapt to change... but because v11 is genuinely much worse than its predecessor.

My car still drives.. so that part's okay. But a big part of a Tesla is the screen and UI. These things aren't just about entertainment, but necessary for safe operation of the vehicle.

Version 11 is bad. I wouldn't even call it subjective. It's mind-blowing that someone thought it was good to banish important safety controls from the bottom and replace them with "your choice of 5 entertainment icons".

I've defended Tesla's choices many times. Now I'm starting to think that whatever employees are in a department at any given time have complete unmanaged control, and right now the folks working on the frontend are young, inexperienced, and haven't the foresight to consider all of the drivers that don't live in California's climate.
This. And it's not a "learning curve" issue, it's a real step back in ease of functionality. I've put on 4000 miles since the update. I've learned the UI, and it still blows.

I'm not a troll. I've done more than my part preaching the greatness of Tesla to anyone who will listen. My counter to the question of this thread is...

I wonder how many of the people happy about V11 are really TSLA stockholders?​

Destroyed? This might be an example of the sort of hyperbole that caused the OP to speculate about trolls. Are you actually saying that feeling that the vehicles were "destroyed" is legitimate or are you really just trying to say that they're being sincere?

Personally, I think that there's a chunk of people who make a hobby out of pointing out the foibles in their "favorite" toys. I've seen it in some of the other non-vehicular online communities I frequent. They buy something wanting it to be the best of the best of the best and get royally pissed when it falls short and take pleasure in sharing their disappointment with the world. Personally, I see my MYLR as the EV peer of my old BMW X1, or perhaps an X3. Definitely not the peer of a 5 or 6-series.

While folks might have certain expectations of a $60-70K vehicle, if you check the Monroney sticker, it's a $35K vehicle with 20-30K worth of options. Viewed through that prism, we bought a $35K car with nearly the same amount in upgrades. Based on what got upgraded and what didn't, it's harder for me to bemoan any deficits relative to "other $60K vehicles". Most of the behaviors and features that people gripe about are well beyond what I'd expect from a vehicle whose base configuration is $35K.

Specific to V11, it's a major change and lots of interactions have been disrupted. That said, I'd bet that a lot of folks currently playing the safety card regarding things getting moved off the default display were previously dismissive of people who suggested that the Tesla's lack of physical controls was inherently unsafe. I'm not saying that V11 wasn't a step back for those interactions but I'd also argue that voice commands for those functions are still available and allow for eyes-on-road activation, at least for the functions that a driver would need to perform while moving.

I get the fact that a lot of people view V11 as a step back. I'd even acknowledge those sentiments as legitimate. ;) There are definitely some changes that I find to be a regression. However, at the end of the day, I need to be cognizant of the fact that I'm not going to like every change that comes with an evolving platform. Some things I'll adjust to and even embrace while others will have me continuing to grumble. In general, I'll do my grumbling in private because doing so publicly is about as likely to make things better as
4593531893_f67a757fa1.jpg

If I bought any other vehicle, and sometime afterwards the manufacturer snuck into my car and moved many of the dash controls into the glovebox, I'd be just as mad.

I'm vocal about it because I believe Tesla employees do read these forums. How else can a disgruntled owner voice their opinions? Tesla doesn't seem to have an official way of providing feedback.

This isn't like buying a car and then complaining about it. I've owned my car for a year and the entire dash was just replaced with a high school senior's first project without my permission.

Before the rebuttals saying "you gave your permission when you installed the update", Tesla didn't ask before pushing the update if they could move every single control around and in worse places.

V11 made some things I routinely do while driving more difficult to accomplish. I don’t have a problem with a lot of the UI changes, or the fact that some things I personally don’t agree with were changed. That kind of thing happens in updates and normally there’s some sort of balance. Eg, we’ll that’s unfortunate, but this over here is pretty cool. But for me V11 stepped over the line by moving too many of the routine/critical controls & icons off the main screen. There was a vision with a lack of understanding applied in the ui.

And then there’s the color scheme of the nighttime map. Moving various driving controls off the main screen was/is annoying, but nighttime map is busted.

I don’t get all post disregarding the criticism or not thinking it’s a real problem. I love my M3. It’s the best car I’ve owned and Tesla did that. I would buy it again. But that doesn’t mean they’re infallible or that when they make a mistake people shouldn’t call them on it. I’d like them to build better products and they can’t do that if people don’t tell them when they need to make adjustments.

Let's cut everyone a lot of slack. We're stressed out over the pandemic, climate change, and other goings on in the world.

Our forum communication patterns could be better although it'd take more time and verbosity.

It's normal for people who easily use a UI to not understand why other people can't, but that comes out in forums as disbelief and pushes people having trouble to get more vocal. It's not good for UI designers to assume everyone is like themselves.

In these software-update threads we're trying to accomplish multiple aims:
  • Find out what changed and learn how to use it. (The release notes and owner's manual are inadequate.)
  • Find out what the bugs and usability bugs are and decide when to update.
  • Get feedback to Tesla, who acts like every owner is a beta tester but without a feedback channel.
  • Some group therapy. It's frustrating, maddening, and worrisome that Tesla releases yet another update without fixing the readability problems that Elon promised to fix a year ago, but they had time for several more toys and games.
The world's best EVs could easily have a good touch screen UI if they'd just bring in experienced designers and usability testers.

I bought the car even with concerns about touch screen safety, and recently had to drive mountain passes in rain and snow. I need my "not tech savvy" spouse to share the driving on road trips, and want the world to switch to these cars, so it's not OK to say they're only for people with high video game skillz. I'd buy an accessory that added some manual controls like wipers and recirc (not the actions that S3XY Buttons yet support).

Destroyed? This might be an example of the sort of hyperbole that caused the OP to speculate about trolls. Are you actually saying that feeling that the vehicles were "destroyed" is legitimate or are you really just trying to say that they're being sincere?

Not hyperbole. The car is primarily for transportation, and that part still works. However, almost *all* of it's secondary functions have become at minimum a nuisance to use, but in extreme cases dangerous.
  • Climate was altered to not warm the driver the same way as it used to. The passenger HVAC used to stay off when there was no one in the seat. Now they both blow. Two days ago my passenger HVAC was blowing, but not animated on the screen... I reached over and it was *BLOWING COLD AIR*. Climate was not in "split" mode. Mine was warm, the other one was ice cold air. It was below freezing outside.
  • Auto climate used to just control the fan speed based on the desired temperature, but now it also decides where the air blows. Somehow, someone thought the car would know whether I want the air blowing on my feet or in front of my. Surprise, surprise... it's almost always wrong. This means in order to use my heat, I have to turn auto *off*... which means now I have to manually control the fan speed. It's a *lot* more screen interaction and hassle.
  • The buttons for defrosters and seat heaters now require you to turn on climate. Then the buttons are in the middle of the screen instead of anchored at the bottom. This requires much more time and visual attention than necessary... while I'm driving 60mph. What used to be a single button press now takes two taps on the climate (one to enable, one to open), then I have to look over at the screen and tap the button. Since it's not anchored to the bottom, my hand is hovering in front of the screen. If I need to touch the button multiple times (like seat heaters or switching defrost from warm to cold), that usually implies looking over at it several times (once again, because my hand isn't anchored to the bottom).
  • "Swiping everywhere" is just silly. Is there added value to swiping? Many of the swipe targets don't work well... if you swipe below the top line of many of the windows, the window doesn't slide down... some *inner* window moves instead. The close buttons were better. Try swiping to get the radio window to its 1 inch height position... it has almost zero "snap" tolerance, so it's incredibly difficult to get it back into position. Goofing with this while driving is incredibly frustrating.
  • The new icons are really bad. The monochrome icons were minimalist, highly identifiable, high contrast, and made the interface look expensive. The new ones are poorly representative and look cheap. And instead of many functions available quickly, we now have only 5 and a bunch of dead space. Yay "customize your shortcuts"... as long as it's one of SIX DIFFERENT MUSIC icons or games, toys, and the browser. None of the important ones though. Dig through menus for those. Don't die while menuing. Whereas previously the bottom bar was really useful and important, it now provides little value.
  • RECENTLY USED?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Do I even need to comment on this?
  • Charge port door issues?!? What were they touching that broke this? It's worked fine for a year. Please explain what they were trying to improve to have broken this.
  • Navigation search results are a smaller font. It's become challenging for me to see them. Too much time spent looking at the screen, on the verge of squinting.
  • Text messages are a smaller font. Can't read them safely anymore. Don't bother. I texted out successfully, but the response never made it to the car. It made it to my phone though. This is a major regression on a feature I used to use *all the time*. I consider the feature no longer available.
  • Driver profiles, WiFi / LTE / Dashcam... hidden.
  • Battery percentage estimates at destination and return to starting point... hidden.
I'm sure there are more things I'm forgetting.

Last edited:
The contrast issues on the dark map were improved in 2021.44.30 (or at least they were improved for me, and the other people who have posted about it).
They broke something and now they are improving it :) May be they should roll back to V10. We have “legacy” cars anyway so no improvements like the ones that came to 2018 M3, for example. At least give us back the interface that, more or less, worked and leave it at that.

Today, for the first time I got a “Watch the road” warning from the significant other while I was trying to adjust the back seat warmers. V11 is that bad!

I have many complaints about the v11 UI, but let me put two representative ones below, and you can judge if they are legitimate or just trolling:
  • The UI visuals are not up to my standard. The car icon on the lower right is the old flat mono color but the app icons in the lower middle are 3D full color ones. I'm a software developer and if people in my team (tries to) release something like this, they will be roasted by me for not attending the details. Saying this mixed icon style being amateur is probably an offence to the many good amateurs out there.
  • The removal of many one click/one swipe access to functionalities can potentially impact driving safety. Here is my own scenario - I was driving on a winding downhill mountain road at below freezing temperature after a ski trip. The road had no road lights and it was after sunset. The climate out there was changing fast. I found the windshield started to fog up, and I need to turn on the defroster. In the old UI I could just slide my finger along the bottom edge of the touch screen and tap the button that I knew the position by muscle memory. In the new UI, I had to bring up the climate control view, then float my finger in the middle of the screen hoping I could tap the right spot. So I had to remove my eyes from the road to do this (while I was on a winding dark mountain road). The road was single lane so I had no option to pull over and do it. The cell signal was also spotty on that road so voice commands did not really work.

I think we're in a bad situation because V11 contains two pretty different things: A new UI, and a re-thinking of what should be visible to the driver constantly. I see the first as just another skin to present information... different icons/ colors/placements/groupings. This type of thing as well as customizability could have been done independently of the rethinking which led to the removal of a lot of features. This has been compounded together and has seemingly made a lot of people angry.
People are typically reluctant to change but receiving just the new UI look might have been accepted. Removal of features from main interface is IMO the major irritant and is what raises so much passion in people posting here about it.
EDIT: So no, I don't think they're trolls...

I think they made a bunch of stupid decisions with V11. While annoyed, I am planning on living with the changes until Tesla either changes them back or changes them to something else.

My expectation is that Tesla has picked up on the negative feedback and will make updates. Hoping it happens sooner than later.

Reactions: Sporty