Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wonder how many of the people unhappy about V11 are really trolls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never use Sentry mode, it’s not something that interests me tbh. Car is insured, I’ve paid thousands over the years and never claimed, there’s more than enough cctv in UK to catch most damage and any it doesn’t then the the insurance can pay. Anything that drains the battery is turned off in my car lol
The biggest contribution to getting long range is our warm winters in the South of France....that and I drive like an old man..

Here’s a suggestion going forward, maybe Tesla should seek out SELECT owners to receive a “BETA” version of any MAJOR SW UPDATE and see what they think. That could probably lay to rest many of the complaints if owners have had a chance to preview it.

I'd rather Tesla do usability tests on each incremental change with a variety of drivers in real-world challenging situations (not sitting at a computer simulation). This is Usability 101, and it's ever more important for safety-critical UIs.

See, that’s why it is Subjective. For me, having the phone on the top screen is much more important than defrosters or seat heaters.

Ah. Now I understand. I'd express this as design factors that vary with different drivers' needs. They're still objectively testable.

Reactions: Paul-K and Boza
I suspect though Tesla did do a whole lot of testing with various user groups prior to v11... it was just very different to those on TMC.
(Which by its nature as a forum will focus young-middle age, male and techy.)

As Tesla goes more mainstream, it's attracting an increasingly mainstream customer, older and less tech focussed.

Think about what your parents or grandparents might say about V10.

I can easily see key parts of feedback being:
- too much information on the main screen, just show me what I need to drive
- buttons (for sentry/ defrost) too small
- too complex - why isn't everything under controls, it's all over the place (eg. Sentry, tyre pressure, Wifi etc)

The Swipe Cards in particular, while useful, was absolutely horrible UI.
Where else in Android or Apple would you swipe on a random part of the screen (with no visual target or icon) to bring up a feature. Yes you might swipe to flip an entire window, but never an individual part.

Human Nature: We want change and something new until we get it. Then we hate the unknown and learning curve the change brings. Then we learn it and adapt, plus it is updated and gains practical improvements and it then becomes the standard. In a year or two when v12 comes out it will be a repeat of the same crying "I want v11 back. It was sooooo much better".
NAH!

I suspect though Tesla did do a whole lot of testing with various user groups prior to v11... it was just very different to those on TMC.
(Which by its nature as a forum will focus young-middle age, male and techy.)

As Tesla goes more mainstream, it's attracting an increasingly mainstream customer, older and less tech focussed.

Think about what your parents or grandparents might say about V10.

I can easily see key parts of feedback being:
- too much information on the main screen, just show me what I need to drive
- buttons (for sentry/ defrost) too small
- too complex - why isn't everything under controls, it's all over the place (eg. Sentry, tyre pressure, Wifi etc)

The Swipe Cards in particular, while useful, was absolutely horrible UI.
Where else in Android or Apple would you swipe on a random part of the screen (with no visual target or icon) to bring up a feature. Yes you might swipe to flip an entire window, but never an individual part.
I can honestly say my 75yr old mother would never buy a Tesla ever …. she struggles with her smartphone, isn’t interested in acceleration and would never trust a car to drive itself ever🤣

• Funny
Reactions: rjpjnk
Slide up about an inch into the white to about halfway, and your thumb is on top of the buttons
Ummm…no. That’s one of the problems with V11. Touch screens are already suboptimal for controls in a car because they have no tactile feedback. You simply can’t operate them blind like you can physical controls. The Model Y at least has anogther strike against it because the suspension is so harsh it’s impossible to hold your arm still. the edge of the screen at least has a solid reference. The middle of the screen has no reference and is far more difficult to hit and take far more concentration.

This was acutely evident for me a week ago when I drove our Forester. I instantly noticed how much easier it was to use the controls - most of them I could use without even taking my eyes off the road.
The phone is easier to access now.
That’s another problem with V11. The stuff you shouldn’t be using (games, toybox, phone) are easier to access and the stuff you need is harder to access.

and no one is able to use voice commands because it will wake their sleeping passengers ?
It was discussed ad nauseam. Compared to the manual interface:
- VC need cell coverage. Which means they are not available exactly when you need them (e.g. twisty mountain road)
- VC are slower than manual controls. Sometimes, time to activate a function is critical (e.g. defogger)
- VC have little logic or system behind them. “Enable child lock” works as expected; “Disable child lock” does nothing.
- VC are not officially documented by Tesla and keep changing
- Unless the phrase is _exact_ it does not work (see the time criticality above)
- VC voice recognition does not always work well and often misinterpreted (see the time criticality above)
- VC do not work when there is an active call
- Novelty wears out quickly when there are passengers in the car (“Quiet now! Dad needs to talk to the car!”)

They are nice gimmick and useful is some cases (e.g. sending messages, dial, etc.) but not a replacement for critical systems control interface.

TLDR. I propose we merge, or create a whole new thread, where all v11 gripes can be posted. We can even sticky it.

This sub-forum has unfortunately been transformed into a b1tch and whine echo chamber.
I sort of agree, and suggested the same, but new issues keep popping up with v11, so someone should edit a long list of not only differences, but actual malfunction, and fixes, and keep a first post as up to date as possible. Just today someone mentioned lagging screen and re-booting 2x in one trip. Stuff is messed up, needs to be documented. Seems like Tesla is not on top of it, could be a good cheat sheet for them? (or maybe not, since so much depends on exact builds?). What a cluster.

TLDR. I propose we merge, or create a whole new thread, where all v11 gripes can be posted. We can even sticky it.

This sub-forum has unfortunately been transformed into a b1tch and whine echo chamber.
I feel like part of the problem is that people keep giving non-solutions like "you can just use voice commands" and other things that have been rehashed ad nauseam. the title of this thread even says 'everyone complaining is just a troll.'

I feel like part of the problem is that people keep giving non-solutions like "you can just use voice commands" and other things that have been rehashed ad nauseam. the title of this thread even says 'everyone complaining is just a troll.'
Yeah. There are a couple threads that get closer in the first post. There needs to be 3 threads, all pinned, and all discussion directed to those threads. All new threads deleted or merged (if actually new issues)

1. Design differences, sort of a guide (exists).

2. Bugs and extreme bad design choices (disappearing compass, windows covering windows and blocking functions, missing total trip time in nav...)

3. Hardware malfunctions: heat pump, rear seat heaters, repeated screen reboots, laggy backup camera...)

Would take several people to manage and keep a first post updated on each thread. All complaints/reports should include exact model, month and year of build date, and exact software version with issue.

I've seen this kind of tracking in other owner's car forums when major issues pop up. That's one reason we're here, right? To fill in with crowd based solutions when the company can't keep up.

Or we can all just keep bitching randomly.