Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wonder how many of the people unhappy about V11 are really trolls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im not upset. Took less than 10 mins of exploring and familiarization after the update, then maybe 2 days to become fluid and proficient.

The only thing id like to see is the turn signal camera moved from the bottom to the top of the screen.

Iā€™m glad youā€™re not upset. But, it doesnā€™t make me feel better. I might be wrong, but I imagine you:

* Donā€™t have a second driver who uses the car (displaying the driver profile at the top of the screen avoided a ā€œsurpriseā€ when the driving features are different (the auto selection based on phone key is not 100% reliable)

* Donā€™t use heated seats much or ever

* Donā€™t have a need for rear defog much

* Donā€™t care to observe your efficiency periodically while driving.

Any one of these is an item I donā€™t imagine I should need to argue is important to many if not most drivers.

Well, there is one thing, fortunately, that we can all agree on. And that is the fact that everyone here except me is either a troll or just straight-up wrong. Sadly I'm the only one honest enough to admit this, even though we all agree. A high percentage of the replies here on TMC are from robots, not even humans. Many others are just in it for the money, on the payrolls of George Soros, the dead Sheldon Adelson, the Koch brothers, Bezos, Gates, Jobs, and of course Musk. The remainder are either cognitively impaired, just not able to assimilate and process information in any known reliable manner, or human versions of Marvin the robot, depressed, unhappy, angry, and paranoid. Sad really........

• Funny
Reactions: OxBrew
Well, there is one thing, fortunately, that we can all agree on. And that is the fact that everyone here except me is either a troll or just straight-up wrong. Sadly I'm the only one honest enough to admit this, even though we all agree. A high percentage of the replies here on TMC are from robots, not even humans. Many others are just in it for the money, on the payrolls of George Soros, the dead Sheldon Adelson, the Koch brothers, Bezos, Gates, Jobs, and of course Musk. The remainder are either cognitively impaired, just not able to assimilate and process information in any known reliable manner, or human versions of Marvin the robot, depressed, unhappy, angry, and paranoid. Sad really........
...I have this horrible pain in all the diodes down my left side...

• Funny
Reactions: Sporty and PACEMD
I really dislike this new version. It certainly takes the joy out of cruising in your Tesla. Trying to keep your eyes on the road, whilst manoeuvring your sights to hit the right control is downright distracting and dangerous. I can not understand why we now have a slide bar ( in a moving vehicle- the ride is not that smooth) for AC fan! .. and we regularly have to check if there is an update to download by moving to from the display screen. The whole control thing is now clumsy and immature! Fed up Model 3 owner-sorry but if these ā€˜updatesā€™ keep coming-Iā€™ll be looking elsewhere for my next EV.

Reactions: Boza
I really dislike this new version. It certainly takes the joy out of cruising in your Tesla. Trying to keep your eyes on the road, whilst manoeuvring your sights to hit the right control is downright distracting and dangerous. I can not understand why we now have a slide bar ( in a moving vehicle- the ride is not that smooth) for AC fan! .. and we regularly have to check if there is an update to download by moving to from the display screen. The whole control thing is now clumsy and immature! Fed up Model 3 owner-sorry but if these ā€˜updatesā€™ keep coming-Iā€™ll be looking elsewhere for my next EV.

I really don't understand this feedback. What controls do you need to interact with (while going downhill), and how are they worse under v11? AC slide bars? In my old M3, I used to catch the bottom lip of the screen with one finger, to stabilize my hand, so I could touch the screen with my thumb, and move it solidly right/left -- if that makes sense?

I sometimes also used voice commands to alter the temperature. Easy. If I'm going downhill or in some kind of white knuckle situation, I'd absolutely just use voice commands -- or put adjusting AC on hold until after the situation passes. That applies to *any* car. And most other cars have pretty crappy voice control, so any Tesla has an advantage there, either v10 or v11.

Also don't understand the download checking point. The app tells you when there's a software update to install.

There are definitely some puzzling and frustrating UX bits to v11, but they really don't seem to amount to the level of world-ending, product-killing drama as some people here seem to suggest.

All IMO, of course. YMMV, etc.

Reactions: Bouba
I really don't understand this feedback. What controls do you need to interact with (while going downhill), and how are they worse under v11? AC slide bars? In my old M3, I used to catch the bottom lip of the screen with one finger, to stabilize my hand, so I could touch the screen with my thumb, and move it solidly right/left -- if that makes sense?

I sometimes also used voice commands to alter the temperature. Easy. If I'm going downhill or in some kind of white knuckle situation, I'd absolutely just use voice commands -- or put adjusting AC on hold until after the situation passes. That applies to *any* car. And most other cars have pretty crappy voice control, so any Tesla has an advantage there, either v10 or v11.

Also don't understand the download checking point. The app tells you when there's a software update to install.

There are definitely some puzzling and frustrating UX bits to v11, but they really don't seem to amount to the level of world-ending, product-killing drama as some people here seem to suggest.

All IMO, of course. YMMV, etc.
Oh, my apologies if you donā€™t understand my feedback? I am not a troll. I may have misunderstood this feed. Iā€™m an older person, who may not be capable?(however, I am amazed to get through life to this age really-having operated far more sophisticated systems than this car has etc)
Iā€™m obviously not that Tesla tech savvy- if you hadnā€™t already guessed that.
Maybe itā€™s just not my type of car- Iā€™ll stick to driving a desk computer !.. which I can navigate.
Just voicing my frustration at getting an overnight update and no instruction that the settings would change dramatically. Iā€™d like to know that after an update, when going to work the next morning - I donā€™t have to sit and work out where all the previous settings are. No worries-Iā€™ll Google it. No bad intended.

Oh, my apologies if you donā€™t understand my feedback? I am not a troll. I may have misunderstood this feed. Iā€™m an older person, who may not be capable?(however, I am amazed to get through life to this age really-having operated far more sophisticated systems than this car has etc)
Iā€™m obviously not that Tesla tech savvy- if you hadnā€™t already guessed that.
Maybe itā€™s just not my type of car- Iā€™ll stick to driving a desk computer !.. which I can navigate.
Just voicing my frustration at getting an overnight update and no instruction that the settings would change dramatically. Iā€™d like to know that after an update, when going to work the next morning - I donā€™t have to sit and work out where all the previous settings are. No worries-Iā€™ll Google it. No bad intended.
Fair enough. No harm intended.

I should also add that the car I just bought (refresh Model S) basically has been shipping with v11 since its release about a year ago. So I was very familiar with it, even before purchase. And when v11 formally arrived, it really didn't change that much -- just added the light show thing, and a few other small features.

I can understand that it would be quite a surprise if you were not expecting it. Tesla should do a better job with major updates, I agree.

...But I do fully embrace iteration and enjoy seeing our cars evolve over time, to the extent possible. On balance, that's great progress, even if the ride is occasionally bumpy.

Last edited:
Reactions: rjpjnk
The transition from v10 to V11 is hardly an ā€œevolutionā€ from a driverā€™s point of view. Basic functionality is more difficult:
- before, the front defoggers was easily accessible (one tap) and the status was visible at a glance. Now, it is 3 taps and require taking eyes off the road for about a second or more
- before, the rear defogger was easily accessible (one tap) and the status was easily visible with a glance, which is important because it has a time off and it turns by itself. Now, it requires 4 taps to engage or to even check the status - and that involves turning on/off an irrelevant system (HVAC).
- the situation is similar with the seat warmers - from a single tap to 4 taps, including turning on/off the irrelevant HVAC.
- the night mode of the map makes the secondary streets invisible - their dark grey color is too close to the background.
- there are other issues - some more objective (e.g. swipe requires more attention than tap); other are more subjective (the entertainment organization is somewhat confusing).
- there are bugs that hopefully will be resolved soon. E.g. camera lag/stuttering, podcasts not playing, etc.

If we follow Elonā€™s philosophy that every input is an error then V11 is more ā€œerroneousā€ than V10 because it requires more input/engagement with the driver, which, arguably, makes it for worse/more dangerous driving experience.

NB: for a lot of reasons discussed before, voice commands are not a substitute for the visual interface deficiencies.

The main issue with v11 is the winter experience, it really became much worse.

During the winter you need the seat heating, defogging, defrosting etc all the time and sometimes really urgently when you canā€™t take your eyes off the road. Accessing these controls is now WAY slower and takes your eyes off the road exactly when it should not be happening.

Itā€™s really mind boggling that they made these actually relevant things harder and the nonsense easier (accessing the entertainment functions).

Reactions: Sporty and smogne41
- before, the front defoggers was easily accessible (one tap) and the status was visible at a glance. Now, it is 3 taps and require taking eyes off the road for about a second or more
How do you get to 3?

It's either:
1) Tap the AC setting value (e.g. HI, LO, or whatever temp value is the target)
2) Tap the defroster button

Or, keeping eyes on the road 100%, it's:
1) Tap the mic button on your wheel/yoke
2) Say "Turn on/off front/rear defroster"

I am going to skip the voice command suggestion - it has been discussed ad nauseam why that does not work. Hint: needs network; no system; misunderstanding; interferes with ongoing calls; etc.

Starting with fogged windshield and HVAC off:
- One tap to turn on the HVAC
- Second tap to bring up the HVAC menu
- Taking eyes off the road, looking for the defogger button
- Third tap to activate the defogger.

The seat warmers are even worse:
- One tap to activate the HVAC (completely irrelevant system - obviously that was designed by a software kid who has zero understanding of hardware)
- Second tap to bring up the HVAC menu. Why seat warmers are in the HVAC menu? While we are at that why donā€™t we add the windows opening buttons there?
- Third tap to activate the seat warmer. Why we have two icons for the front seat warmers? Probably, to add one more distracting decision while the driverā€™s eyes are off the road.
- Fourth tap to turn off the system we were not interested in the first place (HVAC).

I have a feeling that the UI head designer name is Franz Kafka.

Did V10 have the Off-Road Assist feature? Probably it did but I don't remember. I sure do like it fwiw. I noticed yesterday that when I turn it on the power and regeneration become nearly 50/50 front to back (TesLax). With it off power is mostly rear and regen is mostly front. Feels so much better in snow/ice.

Did V10 have the Off-Road Assist feature? Probably it did but I don't remember. I sure do like it fwiw. I noticed yesterday that when I turn it on the power and regeneration become nearly 50/50 front to back (TesLax). With it off power is mostly rear and regen is mostly front. Feels so much better in snow/ice.
Hmmm, I do not remember ā€œOff-roadā€. The only one I could think of is ā€œSlip startā€ which tunes down the traction control. I have never looked at the car with TesLax while it was on but donā€™t expect the behavior you describe.

Where is the ā€œOff Roadā€ option in V11 hidden? Under ā€œNavigationā€? :)