TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I wonder if Tesla is really moving as swiftly as possible.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Garlan Garner, Jul 21, 2016.

?

Is the production of the Model 3 moving as quickly as it can?

1. Yes

90.5%
  2. No

9.5%
  1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

I found it interesting that Elon said that his day to day job is Space X and that he works as the Chairman of Tesla "On the Side".

I wonder what would happen with the production of the M3 if the tables were turned where his day to day job was Tesla.

Look at the first sentence here:

Elon Musk reveals Tesla Master Plan Part 2: Solar, Pickup and Ride Share

2. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

The Tesla engineering team works more than full-time for Tesla. I'm confident they would tell you that they get more than enough 'Elon-input'. :)

• Like x 9
    • Funny x 6
    • Love x 1
  3. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

As of last year his schedule was
    • Sunday: Travel if necessary. Spend time at Bel Air mansion.
    • Monday: Work at SpaceX in Hawthorne. Take private jet to Silicon Valley. Crash at a friend's place.
    • Tuesday: Work at Tesla's offices in Palo Alto and/or factory in Fremont.
    • Wednesday: Work at Tesla's offices in Palo Alto and/or factory in Fremont.
    • Thursday: Fly back to Los Angeles. Work at SpaceX.
    • Friday: Work at SpaceX.
    • Saturday: Work at SpaceX and/or spend time with five young sons he shares custody with first wife Justine (has them four days each week).
    I think two Elon days might be worth more than five of my work days...

Also keep in mind he regularly puts in 100 hour work weeks

• Funny x 2
    • Informative x 1
  4. CmdrThor

CmdrThor Member

To be honest if Elon focused more on Tesla it might even slow Model 3 down. Remember, perfect is the enemy of good.

• Like x 4
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. Trips

Trips Member

He said that 10 years ago when he thought Tesla would fail. Now it is the opposite.

Most CEO's don't reveal as much as he does. No one should be upset that a bonus statement (that will not effect their car production) was late.

• Informative x 1
  6. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

They said the design is done. So on track.

7. xav-

xav- Member

I agree that there should be more priotization. He's too much all over the place. You have to pick your battles.

• Dislike x 2
    • Like x 1
  8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Considering he's accomplished the following for Tesla in just ten years, I'm not too concerned about his focus. :)

From Ten years ago tonight (7/19/2006) ...

• Like x 12
  9. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

• Like x 1
  10. Garlan Garner

• Like x 1
  11. Garlan Garner

The primary thing that concerns me is that a year from now.......I still won't have my car. I'll still be sitting here typing in this forum.

I keep hearing Tesla talk about the word "accelerated". I mean...pencils are down....right? What in the world is going to take another year to do? Vacation time? I'm thinking....you already know how to make a car. How difficult would it be to duplicate the process for another version? Unless an fully revamped production process has emerged into it's own project. To which, I'm not very interested in.

Anywho...... I suppose I'll be here typing and driving ICE a year from now.

MS is just too expensive - else I would have purchased one already.

12. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

When they say the word accelerated what they mean is instead of hitting the goal of 500,000 cars per year in 2020 they've moved up the timeline to 2018.

The Model 3 was always scheduled for the end of 2017 and that hasn't changed. They have to set up a manufacturing line, create/configure all the manufacturing machinery (the machines that build machines), get suppliers to make the new parts they've designed, etc. All of this takes significant time. Elon thinks this could possibly be done in the time it takes to incubate a human (~9 months) and then time for validation etc. The accelerated schedule is simply a change in scale in a shorter amount of time.

13. McHoffa

McHoffa Member

They've got the build up the factory for scale production, and they've got to build some for crash testing and road testing internally. All of their suppliers have less than one year now to have full scale production ready for their parts.

Sure, if they wanted to make one at a time like the Roadster, they could start tomorrow probably, but that won't give you a $35k car.

That's why Chevy unveiled the Bolt prototype in January 2015, then unveiled the production version in January of this year, and still won't have them in people's hands until the end of this year.

I'm with you though. If I had cash to blow, I would already have a Model S or X ordered, but I'd only barely be able to afford a base model with no options. Not worth it to me when the same money could possibly get me a fully loaded Model 3 PxxD next year, with upgraded autopilot hardware.

• Like x 1
  14. msnow

msnow Active Member

I'm sure there's a lot to do going from prototype to a production car. They have trouble now meeting estimates just with the S and X and the M3 is much more volume. They need additional and more efficient manufacturing, charging infrastructure build out, more Service Centers and on and on. It wouldn't surprise me if this goes well into 2018.

15. Mark C

Mark C Member

I sure hope it isn't going as fast as possible, but more like as fast as practical. Too much "hubris" and not enough something(?) created a mess when the Model X first deliveries were made.

I'd rather they take enough time and do it great than build it mediocre as swiftly as possible. I believe that there are quite a lot of us who are stretching to afford a Model 3 and for it to be a continuous headache would be a huge let-down.

• Like x 3
  16. Garlan Garner

I would have to agree.

I suppose another thing that is making the clock appear to tick slow is the fact that I rushed to give them my $1k. And without having the knowledge of a production engineer.....It appears that they are not rushing in return. That's a tiny bit frustrating. I wish I had more inside info as to whats making a billion dollar company appear slow and "late" on stuff. I'm trying to say this without criticizing them or stretching the truth - just noting some truths. I love how Elon jokes about it. Almost every speech he gives...he laughs when making a promise....its almost accepted by everyone as a semi-almost promise. Well, the investors don't seem to care. I own 19 shares myself....so maybe I should get on board with all of the other investors and not care also.

Although I am keeping with seeing deliveries in 4Q next year....I don't have a lot of confidence it will happen. Well anyway, no need for me to get bent out of shape about it. They aren't going to adjust anything for little-old-me.

I was hoping that my 1000th post would be more upbeat than this - however, here we are.

• Like x 2
  17. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I wouldn't say they've been late on anything related to the Model 3 yet. Do you remember when there were rumors they might not have had a working Model 3 prototype for the reveal part 1? ...and yet they delivered. They next (impossible) deadline is July 1st 2017. We don't expect them to make that, but if the star align and suppliers are up to snuff then who knows.

Just to put this into perspective, I've been waiting for the Model 3 since 2006 when Tesla first announced the Roadster!!!

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  18. Garlan Garner

Very good information folks. I'm learning a lot.

19. 22522

22522 Member

As fast as their operational model will let them go.

20. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

Building the machines that build the machines is what takes the time. One does not tool a factory to triple or quadruple production rates with an entirely new car with new technology overnight.

Dan

• Like x 3