Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would appreciate your help deciding on a home charging situation with which power cord(s)/adaptor(s) to buy.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok folks, I would appreciate your help deciding on a home charging situation with which power cord(s)/adaptor(s) to buy.

Current house has 240v 30A plug in the garage. I would like to ensure that the money spent is future proof. At some point I may either swap to a 50A in my current house or if/when I move to a new house and have a 50A installed.

My choices are:

Option 1:
Getting the Gen 2 mobile connector bundle, which comes with the 110 adaptor. Then I will purchase the 14-30 adaptor with the same order.

For future proof, if I then have a 50A plug to use, i just buy the 14-50 adaptor later on.

Roughly $320 startup cost.

Option 2:
Purchase the corded mobile connector. And then buy a dog bone 50A->30A

Roughly $575 startup cost.

So my real question is, given the above.. Why would anyone buy the more expensive corded mobile connector, when the mobile connector kit is far less and gives you more plug options?

Is the corded mobile connector a newer generation and the 50A speed is faster than the 50A speed of the mobile connector kit? Other than that, aside from cost, i see no reason to go the more expensive route.

Thanks for reading.

Ah, a lot of good questions, but it seems you have made some assumptions that I wouldn't concur with.
Roughly $320 startup cost.
On your option 1, that cable comes with the car--you don't need to buy it. So you have greatly overinflated the price. Just pay the $35 to get the 14-30 adapter. I've been using nothing but the original mobile charging cable that came with my car for over 7 years now. It stays hanging up in my garage, and I never bought anything else.

Option 2:
Purchase the corded mobile connector. And then buy a dog bone 50A->30A
Well, DEFINITELY don't do that. The plug type that is attached tells the car how much current to pull, and if you use an external pigtail thing to flip the plug type, it's still going to try to draw 40A from that 30A circuit, and that is a Bad Thing (TM). You can set the current lower on the car's screen, but that has been known to frequently get forgotten in software updates and such, and it may revert back to 40A, so it's just not a good idea.

So my real question is, given the above.. Why would anyone buy the more expensive corded mobile connector, when the mobile connector kit is far less and gives you more plug options?

Is the corded mobile connector a newer generation and the 50A speed is faster than the 50A speed of the mobile connector kit? Other than that, aside from cost, i see no reason to go the more expensive route.
Here's what that actually is, and I wish Tesla explained this better on their website. You guessed newer, but it's actually older. The original cables (Gen1) that came with the cars starting in 2012 were capable of passing a max of 40A through them. That Corded Mobile Cable came out during that time, and is based directly on that one, but with the 14-50 plug permanently attached, which is a bit more secure and less likely to have problems with resistance in the swappable plug connection, hot spots, melting, etc. which did show up some with those 1st gen mobile connectors.

So when the Model 3 came out in about 2018, Tesla switched over to the 2nd generation cable, which only maxes out at 32A, so that's why there is a price difference there. The more expensive one can do 40A.

So now we get to my recommendations, which is neither of your two options. I never recommend buying another of the same thing the car already comes with.

Option 1: Don't buy anything extra. Just get the 14-30 plug you need and use the cord the car comes with. That should be fine.
Option 2: If you really do feel you need to buy something else, I would recommend a wall connector instead of an extra mobile cable.

Upvote 0
Ah, a lot of good questions, but it seems you have made some assumptions that I wouldn't concur with.

On your option 1, that cable comes with the car--you don't need to buy it. So you have greatly overinflated the price. Just pay the $35 to get the 14-30 adapter. I've been using nothing but the original mobile charging cable that came with my car for over 7 years now. It stays hanging up in my garage, and I never bought anything else.

Well, DEFINITELY don't do that. The plug type that is attached tells the car how much current to pull, and if you use an external pigtail thing to flip the plug type, it's still going to try to draw 40A from that 30A circuit, and that is a Bad Thing (TM). You can set the current lower on the car's screen, but that has been known to frequently get forgotten in software updates and such, and it may revert back to 40A, so it's just not a good idea.

Here's what that actually is, and I wish Tesla explained this better on their website. You guessed newer, but it's actually older. The original cables (Gen1) that came with the cars starting in 2012 were capable of passing a max of 40A through them. That Corded Mobile Cable came out during that time, and is based directly on that one, but with the 14-50 plug permanently attached, which is a bit more secure and less likely to have problems with resistance in the swappable plug connection, hot spots, melting, etc. which did show up some with those 1st gen mobile connectors.

So when the Model 3 came out in about 2018, Tesla switched over to the 2nd generation cable, which only maxes out at 32A, so that's why there is a price difference there. The more expensive one can do 40A.

So now we get to my recommendations, which is neither of your two options. I never recommend buying another of the same thing the car already comes with.

Option 1: Don't buy anything extra. Just get the 14-30 plug you need and use the cord the car comes with. That should be fine.
Option 2: If you really do feel you need to buy something else, I would recommend a wall connector instead of an extra mobile cable.
Rocky_H, Thank you so much for your informative reply.

I hear what you are saying about not needing two power cords. I’m the type of person that doesn’t want to unplug the car and from the wall to throw it in my trunk every day. I will not drive the car without the power cord in it. So I will definitely be purchasing a 2nd power cord.

I did know about having to set the power lower on the car screen. I did NOT think about it getting reset with software updates and the like. So THANK YOU for pointing that out.

You used the phrase “wall connector”. I always interpreted that as the permanent connection at the wall without a plug. I cannot go that option. My current house is rented, so at some point I will move to another place. So I need plug ends for “future proof” and least amount of money spent.

So based on your post, I will go ahead and go with option 1 with the 14-30, and then buy a 14-50 adaptor later if/when needed.

Based on my requirements, do you agree with this? Again, I appreciate your feedback.

Last question. With the mobile connector and the swappable plug adaptors. If using the 14-30, do I still need to set the lower power in the car, or does this Gen 2 mobile connector handle the correct power and I dont need to do anything?

Upvote 0
I will not drive the car without the power cord in it. So I will definitely be purchasing a 2nd power cord.

Last question. With the mobile connector and the swappable plug adaptors. If using the 14-30, do I still need to set the lower power in the car, or does this Gen 2 mobile connector handle the correct power and I dont need to do anything?

Do you also carry a gas pump with you in your gas-powered car? :)

The plug adapter you use signals the car with the correct amount of power to draw.

Upvote 0
Do you also carry a gas pump with you in your gas-powered car? :)

The plug adapter you use signals the car with the correct amount of power to draw.
LMAO, I figured someone would razz me about wanting the cord in the car. It gives me peace to know I have many more options to find a place to plug in.. Eg RV site etc.. if I get into trouble.

@gfunkdave Thanks for answering my question. :)

Upvote 0
I’m the type of person that doesn’t want to unplug the car and from the wall to throw it in my trunk every day.
Well...then don't. I only unplug mine maybe once a year. Even when I'm going on trips, if it's along main interstates and decent sized cities, there just isn't a place I could be out of range of charging stations.
I will not drive the car without the power cord in it. So I will definitely be purchasing a 2nd power cord.
Well, all right. That does give some people peace of mind if they are really going to be worried, so that has some value. But really, it's probably unnecessary.
You used the phrase “wall connector”. I always interpreted that as the permanent connection at the wall without a plug. I cannot go that option. My current house is rented, so at some point I will move to another place. So I need plug ends for “future proof” and least amount of money spent.
Ah, renting. So the 14-30 outlet is just already there, so you don't want to make any change at all. That still really shouldn't be a big change if you wanted to do the wall connector, as long as you are allowed to do basic hanging things on walls, like put in screws to hang pictures and things like that. The wall connector device can be configured to run on many levels of circuit, including that existing 30A line, and it might be pretty simple to unscrew that outlet and attach the wall connector right there over the place the outlet was, as long as there is a little slack in the wires. But yeah, just plugging in something is simpler, so no problem.

No, you don't need to manually dial that in if you're just simply using the swappable Tesla plugs. It's a pretty nifty system, where each of those interchangeable adapters for the charging cord has a chip in it that sends the signal of the proper number of amps for that plug type, so that's all handled. The issue would be with that original idea you mentioned where you use another external adapter to convert it to something else. The cable doesn't have a way to detect that to know to change the amp signal for that.

Upvote 0
LMAO, I figured someone would razz me about wanting the cord in the car. It gives me peace to know I have many more options to find a place to plug in.. Eg RV site etc.. if I get into trouble.

@gfunkdave Thanks for answering my question. :)

That's what I thought so I went ahead and purchased a separate solution namely a Tesla wall connector for my garage to enable me to keep the mobile connector in the car for a rainy day. Well it's been about four and a half years and 116,000 + miles of driving including four trips across the United States, and I have never needed the mobile connector once. I have used it twice both times were at home just to take it out to make sure it still worked. But the good news is is you can always sell it when you find out you don't need it.

Carrying your J1772 adapter is recommended that will be more useful than having your mobile connector in the car, you may use that occasionally.

Upvote 0
Thank you for the replies everyone! This site is always so helpful! I’m going with the 2nd mobile connector with the correct adaptors.

@SpudLime honestly, this feels like a waste of $$ buying a second mobile connector, but do what you feel is best. I'm not sure how much you drive in a typical day (excluding road trips), but as long as you're able to top up over night chances are pretty high that you will rarely if ever need to charge while out--and if you are, you'll be covered by an available Tesla Supercharger (for level 3 DC fast charging) or 3rd party level 2 charger using your included J1772 adapter. If you were dangerously close to running out of electrons and your only choice was to plug the mobile connector into a regular socket somewhere, you're going to be waiting quite a while before you can get back on the road. If you're away from home (again excluding road trips), a L2 or L3 option is probably within range and going to get you topped up enough much, much quicker.

For road trips it may be another story (depending on where you are travelling) so I could see unplugging from home and taking the mobile connector with you for peace of mind then, but again you'd be better using just about any other option to get back on the road.

Upvote 0