Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would like economy mode for my mdl 3-my thoughts/config

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well actually the T3's full name is Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat Tesla Model Three.
and it's a redhead?

No one else in the history of mankind has ever referred to Tesla Models as TS, TX or T3 besides those two users.

Actually I've seen a handful outside the forums. Mostly non-native English speakers and trolls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
I keep my weight around 170 lbs by walking 10 miles a day while I work.

View attachment 186992
You must walk real slow. If I were to walk constantly over the course of a work day, I'd cover way more than ten miles... I'm currently suffering from yet another form of pestilence the kids brought home... It's way too hard to breathe when being interrupted by explosive coughing. Otherwise I'd be doing at least six-to-eight miles per day in the morning. But yeah, I've been considering pushing it to two sessions, before dawn and after dusk, so as to get 12-to-15 miles done per day.

Two smaller motors vs. one larger motor so if making the motors smaller and using them more efficiently leads, as it does, to 8 miles greater range, perhaps even smaller motors that can only accelerate the car to 60mph in 8 seconds vs. 5 would yield 20 miles of greater range.

Most T3 buyers would go for the greater range.
I think that Elon Musk believes most people will buy the Model ☰ with dual motors, regardless of the battery pack capacity. Making the car slower to 60 MPH will NOT give you 20 miles of range. Wind resistance and rolling resistance have a much greater affect on range than acceleration ability. But you would certainly sell a lot fewer cars that were 0-to-60 MPH in 8 seconds than you would those that manage it in 5 seconds, or 3, or less. The word we are looking for here is 'compelling'. Elon wants Tesla Motors cars to compel people to consider, and then purchase -- not get ill, and then dismiss. If you could prove that slower acceleration in electric cars made a significant difference, perhaps improving range by 20% or 30%, then you'd have a valid argument. But when the drivetrain is already 90% to 95% efficient, that just isn't going to happen. If driving slower made a 90% efficient drivetrain suddenly 120% efficient? Then you'd be making a great point.

I think that Elon Musk believes most people will buy the Model ☰ with dual motors, regardless of the battery pack capacity. Making the car slower to 60 MPH will NOT give you 20 miles of range. Wind resistance and rolling resistance have a much greater affect on range than acceleration ability.

Wind resistance and rolling resistance are pretty much constants as far as increasing range in Teslas and other EV's. Tesla's wind resistance is 0.26 and wind resistance is speed dependent so the slower you drive and the greater percentage of your driving is "city" driving, the less effect it has on range.

So the range increase in Teslas will be about weight/size, battery capacity and motor efficiency.

You must walk real slow. If I were to walk constantly over the course of a work day, I'd cover way more than ten miles...

There's a limit to how fast you can walk while also being able to work on the computer, and that limit varies depending upon what you're doing:
  • 2.3 MPH while coding as I have minimal need for trackball* accuracy. Any faster and typing starts to suffer.
  • 3.0 MPH while researching, any faster and it becomes difficult to read
  • 0.0 MPH while working on the user interface as I cannot accurately arrange controls on the form/window while walking
The treadmill desk maxes out at 4 MPH, but it's not feasible to work at that speed. If I didn't make my 10 miles by the end of the work day, which happens on occasion, I'll make it up by watch videos while walking between 3 and 4 MPH.

If anybody's interested, I've posted a few blog entries about my treadmill desk.

* trackball works way better than a mouse for the treadmill desk. It's easy to accidentally move the mouse while clicking a button; while with a trackball you can move the pointer, then lift your hand off the ball while pushing a button, which eliminates the accidental pointer movement.

So the range increase in Teslas will be about weight/size, battery capacity and motor efficiency.
Overall efficiency improvement from a component is a product of that component's fractional improvement * it's fractional energy use in the entire car.

So e.g,
Say the motors improve from 95 to 96% efficiency, equal to a 20% improvement
And the motors are 10% of overall energy consumption,
Then the car efficiency improves by 0.2*0.1 = 2%

Over 200 miles that would give another 4 miles of range.
If Tesla pulled out that kind of gain once, or maybe even twice, fantastic.
Do not expect any further gains of this type this generation.

EM addressed this exact point by the way, when he said it is a vastly smarter use of engineering talent to optimize a factory rather than a component.

Back to components for a moment: one component can effect others and the cumulative can be significant. E.g, if dual motors improves overall car handling and traction enough to use LRR tyres, then you end up with overall efficiency gains of upwards of 5%

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage
E.g, if dual motors improves overall car handling and traction enough to use LRR tyres, then you end up with overall efficiency gains of upwards of 5%

AWD adds little other than traction in snow and ice. On an EV it allows smaller motors and only using them as needed which cuts energy use and increases range. For EV's, the main range extender is going to be lighter batteries that hold more energy.