Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would never purchase a tesla again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The company I work for has had to rebuild 3 engines, replace 2 completely, and replace/rebuild 4 transmissions on our fleet of 2019 Silverado’s. Are we disappointed that this happened? Sure we are, but we are out of warranty and it’s just the nature of out of warranty cost. Any vehicle can get expensive to repair once your out of warranty. Tesla is no different, it actually might be a bit better since the lack of thousands of extra engine related parts.

Don’t want to deal with expensive repair bills? The answer is simple, only own a car while it’s under warranty. Any “luxury” brand especially can get stupid expensive to fix out of warranty.
Am I reading this right? The Silverado lasted only 3 years before needing complete new engines!

How many miles are on the 2013 P85 would be relevant. This OP may have more sympathy if he had say 80k miles. I'd this is complaining about a 9 year old car with 200k plus miles then seems somewhat more acceptable of a needed repair. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Also curious on the miles of the Silverado?

Don’t want to deal with expensive repair bills? The answer is simple, only own a car while it’s under warranty. Any “luxury” brand especially can get stupid expensive to fix out of warranty.
Sure, you can avoid paying repair bills by always owning cars that are under warranty, but then you end up paying depreciation costs.

OP is living in a fantasy land, complaining about both depreciation and repairs. I just assume that every car I ever buy will become worthless AND require repairs at some point. Unless it's a collector's item but then you can't drive it daily.

Sure, you can avoid paying repair bills by always owning cars that are under warranty, but then you end up paying depreciation costs.

OP is living in a fantasy land, complaining about both depreciation and repairs. I just assume that every car I ever buy will become worthless AND require repairs at some point. Unless it's a collector's item but then you can't drive it daily.
Exactly. Only middle ground that might help a tiny bit is an extended warranty, however that’s really more in the traditional ICE world.

average your maintenance costs over your 9 years of ownership. including this expensive repair. is it really much different than any other luxury sports sedan in the same price range when viewed in such a manner? I don’t think so. so, you’re upset at the lumpiness of the maintenance cost? come on.

You have to put it in context. If it was a $30K car that was worth maybe $6K after 9 years that needed a $3K transmission. It would be 50% of the value for the repair. Many would junk it.

Where your $100K car that is worth maybe $30k needs an $8K repair after 9 years and 26% of its value. I don’t think you are in that bad a shape.

It will cost more to keep a $100K going than a $30K car. And you’d probably be in worse shape if it were many other $100K cars.

I’d suck it up, repair it and trade it in or sell it, quickly.

Exactly. Only middle ground that might help a tiny bit is an extended warranty, however that’s really more in the traditional ICE world.
Not true. I bought an extended warranty for my used 2017 S75 I bought last year from a company called X-Care. I am covered for most items for the next 10 years and 100,000 miles with a $100 deductible. I just used it the other day for the first time for a steering wheel issue. It couldn't have been easier.

Called them with the issue, they opened the claim. I made the appointment with Tesla. They fixed it. Tesla charged my payment method on my Tesla account. I forwarded the paid invoice to X-Care and they cut me a check for the non deductible portion.

The warranty also transfers to anyone I sell and can be cancelled at any time for a pro-rated refund.

Basically when I bought the car I figured in the price of the extended warranty in to the overall car price and still decided it was a much better deal than buying new.

Not true. I bought an extended warranty for my used 2017 S75 I bought last year from a company called X-Care. I am covered for most items for the next 10 years and 100,000 miles with a $100 deductible. I just used it the other day for the first time for a steering wheel issue. It couldn't have been easier.

Called them with the issue, they opened the claim. I made the appointment with Tesla. They fixed it. Tesla charged my payment method on my Tesla account. I forwarded the paid invoice to X-Care and they cut me a check for the non deductible portion.

The warranty also transfers to anyone I sell and can be cancelled at any time for a pro-rated refund.

Basically when I bought the car I figured in the price of the extended warranty in to the overall car price and still decided it was a much better deal than buying new.
My statement was not an absolute as stated by the “more so” portion. So the “not true” part is a little rude. Can you get an extended warranty for an ev? Yes absolutely. But there is not the million different fly by night companies offering it, nor is every used car dealers “preferred partner” offering it.

My statement was not an absolute as stated by the “more so” portion. So the “not true” part is a little rude. Can you get an extended warranty for an ev? Yes absolutely. But there is not the million different fly by night companies offering it, nor is every used car dealers “preferred partner” offering it.
Wasn't trying to be rude, sorry you inferred that.

Reactions: zoomer0056
This is not a knock on the OP or anyone in general, but a mistake many people make is buying that 100k dollar car and not accounting for repairs/expenses. I understand the frustration of an 8k repair don't get me wrong, but things can and will happen to vehicles and generally the repair costs ramp up with the cost of the vehicle. $100 and up oil changes are not uncommon on cars in this price range, nor are expensive brake jobs, expensive general maintenance, or major repairs........eg. You bought the M3 performance because it was fast, then it comes time to replace those tires and your surprised it costs 1500-2k for a set of tires.............its the nature of the beast.

This is not a knock on the OP or anyone in general, but a mistake many people make is buying that 100k dollar car and not accounting for repairs/expenses. I understand the frustration of an 8k repair don't get me wrong, but things can and will happen to vehicles and generally the repair costs ramp up with the cost of the vehicle. $100 and up oil changes are not uncommon on cars in this price range, nor are expensive brake jobs, expensive general maintenance, or major repairs........eg. You bought the M3 performance because it was fast, then it comes time to replace those tires and your surprised it costs 1500-2k for a set of tires.............its the nature of the beast.
When I had Audi Q7 TDI my oil changes were more than 200 dollars. Low profile tires on 21” Yeap had to replace after 18k miles which were 1.6k

Reactions: SO16 and cgell
I purchased a 2013 Model S P90 brand new. I have taken excellent care of and have not driven it too hard. I've had the normal issues several door handles not presenting and other small miscellaneous issues. My first large maintenance issue was my screen went out and that was 3k. Other than that pretty happy. My batteries seem good but concerned if they do go bad I hear the cost is around 24k. I just had a drivetrain error and the dealer is telling me 8k. This seems outrageous and based on what the car is worth it's almost needs to be a parts car. I would probably invest in the drive train but worried if next year if I get the batteries need to be replaced notice. Its pretty sad you spend over 100k and now the car is almost worthless. If i did decide to fix it, it will take months before the parts are available. Does anyone know the best way to get rid of a tesla with a drivetrain light issue?
Stormy, sorry to hear of your problems on your Model S. The first thing that came to mind is there are many options that you can look into. What do you do when a Doctor tells you that you have to have surgery? You get a second opinion. Same goes with car ownership. You benefit is there are many used MS out in the wild with several shops that could do most any repair on your model S. I thought Tesla was swapping out screens for something like $1,500 that dealt with the onboard storage freeze up. I know of two shops here in Houston that work on Tesla's and one use to advertise the MCU screen repairs at a reasonable price.
For your drivetrain error, it may be just a matter purchasing a used drivetrain, and have a local shop or tech swap it out. You can also consider electrify garage and WK057 in Hickory NC. I understand they are far from your location but sometimes their services can be so reasonable that a car carrier to and from with repair may only be half the price of what Tesla offers. The rear drive system are often what people purchase to do most simple EV conversions. I would think they are readily available. Best of luck in your repair.
Another thought would be to reach out to these shops and see if they are interested on purchasing your vehicle the way it is and use the proceeds to purchase a newer vehicle.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Oh forgot to add.
I reread your post and you mention you have taken excellent care and not driven it too hard.
I've read this before compared to people that have driven their older MS with less care. The drivetrain is a failing part and many have had it replaced under warranty during their warranty period. Many that didn't, usually end up having the replacement out of warranty.
Another thought. See if Tesla will meet you half way with the repair price.

I purchased a 2013 Model S P90 brand new. I have taken excellent care of and have not driven it too hard. I've had the normal issues several door handles not presenting and other small miscellaneous issues. My first large maintenance issue was my screen went out and that was 3k. Other than that pretty happy. My batteries seem good but concerned if they do go bad I hear the cost is around 24k. I just had a drivetrain error and the dealer is telling me 8k.

Electrified Garage​

West Palm Beach, FL
West Palm Beach Service Request

[email protected]
772-842-3306
7190 Devons Road
West Palm Beach, FL 33404

Opening Hours​

Monday8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Tuesday8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Wednesday8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday8:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday8:00 am – 5:00 pm
SaturdayClosed
SundayClosed

Reactions: SCharged
Definitely can't recommend Electrified Garage for any battery related issues, given they don't seem to have accepted that modules/cells can't be replaced in a pack.

But if you're in Florida and need a drive unit replacement, they're probably capable and can probably beat Tesla's pricing. Not much to mess up there as long as you have the right tools.

We can also look into service for you at our shop in NC, if you like, but I don't think we can beat your quote from Tesla after freight and such, mainly because it's a performance rear unit and we sell those for other projects as well.

For issues with the battery, don't worry about the crazy replacement costs. We can almost always beat Tesla, especially for folks on the east coast. If you end up keeping the car, might look into our service plan which can save you a ton on that if it fails.