Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would really like to see percentage of how many of used cars are sold privately here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to see how many used Tesla`s are actually selling (SOLD) trough this or other "local" websites.

And for what price.

While uninformed and uneducated car shoppers were buying a lot of used Tesla`s in past years i don`t think that is case now anymore during COVID days.

I can see almost every seller wants to make money back on their mods, while ignoring that mods only will bring value of their car down.

And that`s the reason why they are selling it privately, dealership or Tesla would even refuse to buy their car with certain mods installed.

Also , we know Tesla is doing upgrades almost every 2-3 months now,, so explain me why your one year old MY with 7k miles, without FSD ,double panels and all other recent upgrades is worth 55k non negotiable?

I spent some time in past calling people for MS, using FB local Tesla groups or Autotrader.

Their price was almost always more then what Tesla was selling online including 4 years warranty and FSD included (at that time).
But Tesla owners wouldn`t listen, and after they see that you actually know something about Tesla cars they stop talking to you.

I would really like to see percentage of how many of this used cars are sold privately, i see more and more people opting to sell them to Carvana or Vroom with way less then what they were asking privately.

Last edited:
Based on what I've seen trade in back to Tesla seems to be the going trend when it comes to pricing. It's difficult to justify buying a used car for a few thousand less than new when you have no or less warranty than the new model and don't know the true history of the vehicle.

I suppose historically it's been the lack of inventory that has driven price, however look st the latest numbers released for Q4. More M3 and MY produced than sold. It was over 10k more. As they continue to produce you should see used pricing get more in line with other manufacturers.

I've always seen Tesla as a tech play more than an auto manufacturer so if you play the wait game you'll get more tech the longer you wait at a better price point. Just look at the S and X lines and pricing compared to where they were 3 years ago.

This is true. If you do a search on Autotrader or Cars.com you will find a few private party listings but all are asking above what is being offered via Tesla's new car inventory (albeit 2020 editions). Tesla's inventory has the advantage of the car being warrantied for the full 4 years from when you purchase, and never titled before. The disadvantage for me is that all the cars I like are in Cali or some other far off location.

It might take a few weeks for this fact to settle in with the private party folks.

It is like Corvette owners bragging there cars are worth more than others but doesn't sell anywhere closer to what they think

Even in this forums or Facebook I see few sellers listing there car 5-10K more than used Tesla inventory vehicles .Not sure if they really want to sell the car or just showoff there cars are worth that much.

Reactions: TespaceX
I think some people have unrealistically high asking prices, at least initially, but I have also seen high asking prices drop a fair amount over time as reality starts to set and they become more knowledgeable of the market.

At the same time, some buyers are indeed willing to pay a “premium” for a used car that they can see and drive before committing to and/or is offered with a 7 day return policy, etc. There are also buyers less attuned to the overall market and don't realize they may be overpaying, etc.

Compared to what Tesla is pricing their new and used vehicles, people are asking too much for private party IMO.

Also, as someone mentioned above, Tesla vehicles have come down in price A LOT over just a few years. Even without tax credits, a brand new fully loaded S/X with FSD cost $30K+ less than it did just a couple years ago (and it specs out much better).

Many people selling used privately can’t get over that kind of depreciation.

It's about convenience. Say if people are offered 60k from Carvana/Vroom, they would want to have at least 65k-67k to entertain private sale.

Personally, it's not worth the hassle for me to meet up with a potential buyer with a lot of risks involved: buyer changing mind, scamming, robbing, etc.

So they'll list as high as possible to see if anyone bite, if not, they'll just give it to the big online reseller for a piece of mind.

Teslas market pricing is as rapidly changing as the software and hardware in their cars. I'm watching this pricing unfolding in the third party dealer Pre-owned market where valuations sometimes make absolutely no sense. Watching how vehicles are priced and how they sell you can clearly see inefficiencies and how dealers price pre-owned Teslas. You can also see these inefficiencies and how buyers value Tesla's. This can result in vehicles purchased at incredibly bad deals for the buyer and occasionally very good deals. The key in life is to be on the right side of the deal. I do think Tesla strategy overall has the effect of inducing buyers to simply place an order online and buy a new one from Tesla.
Today I had three separate dealers trying to sell their pre-owned model S.
When shopping for a Tesla pre-owned reading every one of these threads is critical because there is so much specialized information in here that can save you thousands of dollars and avoid overpaying and being eaten alive by depreciation that's unnecessary. By definition unnecessary depreciation occurs when you overpay for a pre-owned vehicle.

I think some people have unrealistically high asking prices, at least initially, but I have also seen high asking prices drop a fair amount over time as reality starts to set and they become more knowledgeable of the market.

At the same time, some buyers are indeed willing to pay a “premium” for a used car that they can see and drive before committing to and/or is offered with a 7 day return policy, etc. There are also buyers less attuned to the overall market and don't realize they may be overpaying, etc.