Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I would strongly recommend against trying out SiriusXM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Something under 7,000 complaints for a company with 26 million subscribers. Not bad if you ask me.

However, the OP lost me at "the service is as bad as they said" when followed up by "I tried it for a day".

There is no other place I'm going to get all that commercial-free music REGARDLESS of how the cellular coverage is (and I drive on back roads enough that it makes a difference). Every ball game from every sport (throw in hockey as well), comedy, news, traffic... Even the in-house stations that DO have commercials (like MLB Network Radio) have far less than terrestrial radio's endless shilling of car dealerships, furniture stores and restaurants. Only the "audio of the national video" feeds are overloaded with commercials (like Fox News and CNN radio).

Oh - and it doesn't impact any cellular data caps either.

That's not to say things have been PERFECT. A couple of stations I liked have gone away and the Sirius/XM merge seems to have cut fidelity on some of the channels (but some songs still sound great while others are more flat - even on the same channel). If I drive in Canada (I'm 200 miles south of the border) I still have my radio.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh - and about cancellation.. I used to have several radios on my account. Called to cancel a couple of them and had NO hassles whatsoever beyond the "How about we offer you a deal?" line that I expected. Maybe because I'd told them one of the radios was stolen - that might have had an effect. But the only thing I notice is that, every few months, they send me something via snail-mail offering a deal to reconnect my radios or to tell me about their latest "free preview" offer.

Never experienced rogue billing, but I didn't even bother to activate the service in the S. We've had sirius, and the model S has XM. They're one company, so it SHOULDN'T have been a problem, but their CS is so bad I didn't even bother out of pure fear of what the process might involve. Plus, slacker works great for when I want music not on my phone or USB stick.

To the OP though, one thing I'd suggest is to never ignore something and let it go to billing an expired card. It's just lazy and irresponsible and tends to lead to issues IMO.

You're very young. Someday when we meet I'll explain it to you. It will benefit you greatly.

+1, Al!

I had SiriusXM in my A4, mostly for sports and news but the kids liked the hit stations. I've been using slacker and NPR in my Model S but after six months of little use finally sold the A4 to my Audi dealer two weeks ago. I had over a year left on a three year subscription so called today to transfer it to the MS - figured I'd use it up and likely not renew. But surprisingly when they looked up my account they had already cancelled the subscription and credited my Amex for the unused portion, I can see how they had to decouple it from the A4's radio so the next owner could subscribe (or maybe Audi pre-owned includes a free trial) but surprised SiriusXM didn't try to get me to transfer it to another car or make me jump through hoops for the refund, especially after reading the OP's post. I guess dealers have a lot more clout than consumers.

I asked about a free trial on the Tesla but they don't offer it. So I'm now SiriusXM-free.

Last edited:
Something under 7,000 complaints for a company with 26 million subscribers. Not bad if you ask me.

However, the OP lost me at "the service is as bad as they said" when followed up by "I tried it for a day".

I used to have XM service for years, and stopped in 2005 when I changed cars. So it's not like it was my first foray into the service. I'm approximately familiar with their content as well.

The bigger issue to me was the quality, which you can discern after 10 seconds. It's just slightly better than an audio cassette (which my 2005 car also supported - but that era has come and gone). Sure, I have some unique content that I only have on tape - am I going to invest in a cassette player to play it? No - I'd rather just listen to something else.

Anyway, there are lots of thread on here about XM quality and content. That wasn't my point. If SiriusXM was a nice easy-going company to deal with, then I would still recommend - sure, try it out for the first month - maybe there is something you like, even though I didn't.

There bigger problem I have is with their customer service, rather than their technology or content.

Last edited:
Crossposted, as I just found this thread:

I just got this email to the same email address I use for my Tesla Motors account:

Thank you for updating the information related to your SiriusXM account *****7421. Updates were made to one or more of the following:

- Username / Password
- Contact Information (i.e., address, phone number)
- Payment Information (i.e., credit card on file)
- Security Questions

If you did not request this change, please call Listener Care at 1-866-659-3965 or Chat Now with a member of our support team.

To manage your account online, visit siriusxm.com/myaccount.

The link is "http://email.siriusxm.com/a/hBTs*******************-gwa/account" behind that "my account" text, I inserted *s in case there is something personal inside it anyway.

Is this spam or fishing? I don't remember ever signing up for SiriusXM, in fact, I am quite sure I never did. Also, I don't think it works in Hong Kong anyway.

When I dial up SiriusXM online and go to

Forgot PasswordSiriusXM Radio

it says

We did not find your Username in our records. Please try again, or call Listener Care at 888-601-6271 and we'll help sort this out.

The only way I could imagine something about this is if TM for some reason, and without my consent, signed me up to SiriusXM. Is the internet radio in the Model S from SiriusXM?

Has anyone else tried something similar?

I had a free year of XM with my Cadillac and renewed for one year. When that year was up I decided not to renew. I told them, but they proceeded to charge the credit card they had on file anyway. Not only that, the credit card had expired, but the charges still went through. I called my bank and they said they let it go through because they thought it was probably just an oversight. I was pissed. What's the point of credit cards expiring if they still continue to work?!? So now I'm pissed at both XM and my bank.

When I traded the Cadillac on the Model S I still had a few months of XM left so I called them to flip it over to the new car. They never informed me that there was a (I think) $30 charge to do this which again went through on my card :cursing:

Well, I practically had to threaten XM to let it lapse when that term was up. I spent 15 or 20 minute arguing with them on the phone, and it was interesting to see how low their price got as the conversation went on and on.

At the end of the day, the XM radio is not horrible, but they must be hemorrhaging customers hence the strong-arm tactics to keep people signed up.