Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wouldnt buy a Model 3 again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note)

this is a note that I will aggressively shut down all "Elon" talk in this thread. We have other threads here where people can talk about that, and if people want to do that, go do it in those threads. These comments so far are inside other perfectly fine posts, but since I am not going to go through and just delete elon comments, I suggest leaving any mention elon, politics etc for those dedicated threads.

Eventually Tesla will need/want to make this configurable, as people age their eye sight gets worse. This seems like a basic ‘Accessibility‘ feature and its long overdue; there should be 3 font sizes to choose from S/M/L
Maybe. In general this is a good idea...however, if someone struggles to read the screen as is, there is a serious question to if their eyesight is safe to drive. DMVs typically require passing an eye test which is normally only done every 5 to 10 years in the US. In some cases longer.

All to say, cars have different visual accesabity considerations than regular computers should have.

I have to agree with the point with reliability! The first car I actually PAID for was a brand new 1989 Toyota Supra Turbo....how I miss that car! EXTREMELY reliable and performance (at the time) was fun!

So I have to comment on your points:

1. Now granted we haven't owned our 2022 M3LR for now going on 4k miles but we haven't had an issue aside from the random driver's side window not fully sealing when driving ... aka it goes up but doesn't "seat" to the rubber so the noise is an annoyance. Making a svc appt after the holidays.
2. Why is Elon Musk "off his rocker as a human being"? Confused
3. I agree to a point. We looked at a Kia EV6 STRONGLY but with the upcharges back in May the price was pretty dang close to our M3LR so we went with our M3LR.
Awesome! I also had a mkiii supra turbo back in highschool and early college. Two-tone black/burgundy paint job lol. So much fun. I even blew the ubiquitous 7mgte head gasket! 🤪

1) My car gets used harder than I think the average M3 driver and as I said, it's an early 2019, so doesn't benefit from some of the improvements your 2022 has. Mine rattles like the dickens (dash, seat belt cover, door/window interface, speaker grilles, trunk plastics) over anything but a perfectly smooth road surface and has a loud "thunk" emanating from he rear end over the harsher bumps. Just noisy, rattly, unsettled and very cheap feeling. I know all cars have some of these problems, but this is pretty bad. I've owned scores of cars, many of them genuine sub-$1500 sh**boxes, and my m3 is down there with the worst of them in terms of chassis/road NVH (obviously taking the drivetrain out of the equation).
2) No comment per moderator note :eek:
3) No doubt Tesla still has the best bang/$ when it comes to range and performance specs. But there is something to be said for a car built by a company that has been building cars for decades or over a century. I personally don't want my EV to scream "look at me, I'm different!" I also prefer a more traditional user interface in terms of controls, handles, buttons, etc. Of course, it's not just tesla that's trying out various wacky design ideas these days. This to me is part of why the BMW i4 is attractive. It's visibly hard to tell apart from a regular 3 or 4 series.

Last edited:
(moderator note)

this is a note that I will aggressively shut down all "Elon" talk in this thread. We have other threads here where people can talk about that, and if people want to do that, go do it in those threads. These comments so far are inside other perfectly fine posts, but since I am not going to go through and just delete elon comments, I suggest leaving any mention elon, politics etc for those dedicated threads.
In the other threads those moderators are shutting down talk of buying other cars due to Elon. If it’s the official position of this forum that we can’t express a distaste of the company, then just say so.

In the other threads those moderators are shutting down talk of buying other cars due to Elon. If it’s the official position of this forum that we can’t express a distaste of the company, then just say so.

If you look around TMC you will see plenty of threads of distaste for tesla that still exist, so this very obviously is not that. "Elon" talk can go in the "Elon" threads.

Thats the last of it in this thread.

Last edited:
You realize that the Model 3 has...err...special wheels that contact the curb before the tire's sidewalls do, unlike every other car I've driven? In every other car, you had to hit the curb REALLY hard to damage the wheels. In the Model 3? Just touching the curb at 0.1 mph will damage them. Expecting a human driver to be perfect every time is just stupid especially when it costs $160 to repair the damage each time from a minor mistake.
My 235/45R-18 VREDESTEIN QUATRAC PRO XL tires hit the curb before the wheel.

Reactions: house9 and STS-134
Awesome! I also had a mkiii supra turbo back in highschool and early college. Two-tone black/burgundy paint job lol. So much fun. I even blew the ubiquitous 7mgte head gasket! 🤪

1) My car gets used harder than I think the average M3 driver and as I said, it's an early 2019, so doesn't benefit from some of the improvements your 2022 has. Mine rattles like the dickens (dash, seat belt cover, door/window interface, speaker grilles, trunk plastics) over anything but a perfectly smooth road surface and has a loud "thunk" emanating from he rear end over the harsher bumps. Just noisy, rattly, unsettled and very cheap feeling. I know all cars have some of these problems, but this is pretty bad. I've owned scores of cars, many of them genuine sub-$1500 sh**boxes, and my m3 is down there with the worst of them in terms of chassis/road NVH (obviously taking the drivetrain out of the equation).
2) No comment per moderator note :eek:
3) No doubt Tesla still has the best bang/$ when it comes to range and performance specs. But there is something to be said for a car built by a company that has been building cars for decades or over a century. I personally don't want my EV to scream "look at me, I'm different!" I also prefer a more traditional user interface in terms of controls, handles, buttons, etc. Of course, it's not just tesla that's trying out various wacky design ideas these days. This to me is part of why the BMW i4 is attractive. It's visibly hard to tell apart from a regular 3 or 4 series.
OHHHHH NO! The Supra was, entirely honest, one of the BEST CAR I and my Wife has owned!

1. I hear you on the rattles and noises. I am HYPER sensitive to them to the point where I make my wife figure out where a noise is coming from. We havent had that issue "yet" with our 2022 M3LR.
2. Thanks!
3. I will differ......remember when Hyundai came to the market......EVERY one in school said they stunk. Look at them now! I do believe and think Tesla has a super model for future car purchases. Think about this.....someone (won't mention a name or company) decided to install a network of electric charging stations across the nation! I, for one, looked at this prior to our purchase and was a HUGE decision.

I would never dissuade a person from purchasing a NEW Tesla M3LR. Our car has been terrific and with home charging it is a no brainer for us. Was it expensive....HELL YES! But we do really love it. (coming from a "track rat" and "petrol head".......

There are some very nice features about this car but there is a lot wrong. To paraphrase Elizabeth Barret Browning let me count the ways. The letters, symbols and numbers on the home screen are too small particularly on the map; there is no parking assist (in contrast to every high quality car available in the 21st century); the latest software update disabled my garage door opener; and I could go on but I will dump this as soon as a good electric sedan is available that doesn't cost the moon. Does any one believe the Tesla engineers read the many gripes on this forum and ever think of responding in a positive way to correct the many issues?
Every car has things I'd quibble with. If it were perfect, I'd never have to buy another car!

Is the info on the display too small? Yes. Clearly, the Tesla software developers didn't follow the HIG, Human Interface Guidelines, but, it's improved in the 4yrs I've had it. Not a deal breaker for me.

Park assist? It's slow, but they're all quite slow, and I never use them, because I can park better and faster.

Software update? Well, having a software update via wifi is better than having to go to the dealer to have it updated.

Read this forum? Nope. Of course not. Why would they?

Reactions: ColoradoMike
I suppose why your original post was deleted, I think so, is it is better served in another section on the forum.

I TOTALLY respect your reasons for "getting rid" of you vehicle.
Problem is the other section won’t let you discuss it either. Neither side wants to hear it. Unfortunately driving a Tesla feels like wearing a red hat now. And I really don’t like red hats for certain reasons.