Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I wouldnt buy a Model 3 again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose why your original post was deleted, I think so, is it is better served in another section on the forum.

I TOTALLY respect your reasons for "getting rid" of you vehicle.

I actually do too, even though it may appear thats not what I am saying. I can see why anyone would have that opinion. I am just trying not to have discussion on that topic take over everything, as any discussion on that topic normally does.

• Love
Reactions: ColoradoMike
Problem is the other section won’t let you discuss it either. Neither side wants to hear it. Unfortunately driving a Tesla feels like wearing a red hat now. And I really don’t like red hats for certain reasons.
Write to the Tesla board. They do have a fiduciary duty to their shareholders and if you're dumping your vehicle on the used car market because you don't like red hats, that's not good for Tesla. And I think that's relevant even if you own 0 shares of TSLA because it affects everyone else who does own shares. If a change of leadership by the board would affect your decision to get rid of the car, give them an idea of what your timeline is for getting rid of it and if nothing happens by that time, follow up by sending them the receipts from your sale transaction.

I have had a Tesla Model 3 Performance since Jan 2020. I would say, it is not a car for everyone. Better yet, it is not an experience for everyone. Tesla want to position themselves among the "premium brands". Depending on how you interpret "premium", they may or may not have made it there.

They definitely aimed their strategy towards the more tech-geared folks, who possibly would have had less previous experience with established "premium" brands. Even just the size of the icons on the screen tells you that much (and they further reduced it last year!). I think they chose their target group really well, since it is also the group of people more likely to "make sacrifices" and "adapt", since early EV adoption is largely a matter of "adapting".

With every iteration of the software they keep moving controls and data around. That's how you continuously improve things in previously uncharted waters (such as a car controlled entirely though a screen). That's not how things were done in the car world up until then, and not without reason. Mostly because a car is a fast moving object with potential to make real damage, not a smartphone you hold while sitting on the bus.

So you'll have the, let's say, geekier people waiting for new updates and stuff to be shifted around, for some new features to be introduced and some older ones to be broken, in order to experience that feeling of "discovery". Do you folks remember the stone age of smart-ish phones? How exciting every update/new model was, with radical changes in design and improvements in software?

The rest of people, who possibly had more experience with buying and living with "premium" cars, do not enjoy the same things as the first group. Tesla does offer less for this group, in my opinion. Firstly, because of the product "early EV" and its intrinsic limitations. But also in regard to the experience around it.

My brother is three years older than me and had virtually no experience of "premium" cars before buying his Model 3 online and receiving it delivered to his office. You should have seen him, happy as a bunny. No chitchat, no often pretty incompetent and/or slimy sales people, no delays. To be fair, no room for error, because error is human and there was no human contact there. Apart from the truck driver who delivered the car, but that was a funny page of this book.

If I think back to my own, more human-based buying experience of my own Model 3, I feel ugly sensations.
It was downright awful, to the point of having the sales child (maybe 5 years younger than me) have a fit in front of me and start scream around that he would cancel my order because I am not a "Tesla person", after I gently pointed out that he ****ed up and lied to me. Nothing especially important either, he had promised me a test drive of the 3P in particular (as in not an LR or SR+, since I had the P on order) weeks in advance, forgot/did not put it in their IT-systems, gave the car away hours before my test drive was scheduled, did not notify me and got lost in a net of absurd lies as to the why this was happening. He had me get to the Center on public transportation just to have the aforementioned fit in front of me.

My impressions that I was not part of the target group Tesla aimed at were confirmed when I was told that guy was one of the best sales people they had. Never a problem before he met me. My feel is that the brand knows best who is going to have the best experience of their "early EVs" and their focus on that target group is very narrow. From this perspective, other "premium" brands are... more including, so to speak.

Sorry for the long text, which is probably more of a recap for myself than a post worth reading.
To each their own. All I can say is that after 48 years of driving, including high-end Volvos and BMW's, I have never been happy with a ca than I am with my 2020 M3LR. I will never go back to ICE cars and I haven't seen a BEV car that impresses me as much as my Tesla.

...I watch the curbs, I don't spend a lot of time with the map( have alternatives)
There are some very nice features about this car but there is a lot wrong. To paraphrase Elizabeth Barret Browning let me count the ways. The letters, symbols and numbers on the home screen are too small particularly on the map; there is no parking assist (in contrast to every high quality car available in the 21st century); the latest software update disabled my garage door opener; and I could go on but I will dump this as soon as a good electric sedan is available that doesn't cost the moon. Does any one believe the Tesla engineers read the many gripes on this forum and ever think of responding in a positive way to correct the many issues?
I learned how easy it was to curb the wheels, also learned how to fix the crubing I did to our M3. I keep curbs in mind when parking. Never had a problem with the maps. I did have problems with windows opening..but an OTA fixed it. I guess I love driving the car so much that I tend to overlook minor problems. Love driving it!

Thank you for your comment. I have other cars (Lexus and Toyota) and the map shows the names of the roads in clearly visible type. And actually the names of roads are clearer on my iPhone app.
Wow, Toyota and Lexus truly have the worst nav systems in any automobile. The interface is crap compared to Tesla, which I have found to be one of the easiest to use. We obviously have differences of opinion as to what makes a good nav system.

Awesome! I also had a mkiii supra turbo back in highschool and early college. Two-tone black/burgundy paint job lol. So much fun. I even blew the ubiquitous 7mgte head gasket! 🤪

1) My car gets used harder than I think the average M3 driver and as I said, it's an early 2019, so doesn't benefit from some of the improvements your 2022 has. Mine rattles like the dickens (dash, seat belt cover, door/window interface, speaker grilles, trunk plastics) over anything but a perfectly smooth road surface and has a loud "thunk" emanating from he rear end over the harsher bumps. Just noisy, rattly, unsettled and very cheap feeling. I know all cars have some of these problems, but this is pretty bad. I've owned scores of cars, many of them genuine sub-$1500 sh**boxes, and my m3 is down there with the worst of them in terms of chassis/road NVH (obviously taking the drivetrain out of the equation).
2) No comment per moderator note :eek:
3) No doubt Tesla still has the best bang/$ when it comes to range and performance specs. But there is something to be said for a car built by a company that has been building cars for decades or over a century. I personally don't want my EV to scream "look at me, I'm different!" I also prefer a more traditional user interface in terms of controls, handles, buttons, etc. Of course, it's not just tesla that's trying out various wacky design ideas these days. This to me is part of why the BMW i4 is attractive. It's visibly hard to tell apart from a regular 3 or 4 series.
I just ditched a 2018 M3 for a 2023 M3. The 2023 is sooooo much quieter inside. WAY less road noise and is better all around.

Those three reasons don't seem too important to me (hard to read text, insufficient parking assist, and a glitch with the garage interface). I wouldn't be surprised if the OP changes his mind in the future.

Regarding the text, for stuff I need for driving, speed, limit, etc., it's fine for me. For other things I must shift my head and use the lower lens in the bifocals. That works.

Once the initial Tesla shock and awe disappears, you start to see its flaws. I think overall, the pros outweigh its cons... But I agree, the font on the screen can be hard to see at times. The user interface has been going downhill over the past couple years. The lack of CarPlay or android auto is stupid. The horrible auto wiper and auto headlights BS is also frustrating. The lack of a simple cruise control feature is stupid. I can continue with its faults, but we all know them.

On the plus side, the supercharging network is nice. All other nice features seem to be related to EVs and not necessarily a tesla thing.

I just got the holiday update which I look forward to every year. Its such a nice surprise to get new things on a yearly basis. This is the only car i've ever owned that gets better over time.

Also, my 12V battery is failing...i got the message after I updated to the holiday update. The app took me to scheduling and i have a mobile service coming soon to change out the battery. Plus I added an air filter change for $56 at the same time. Such a great experience over a traditional car. Never going back.

Honestly there are some cool stuff that you only experience currently by having a Tesla. Even submitting a service request through the app is different. Usually, you have to bring your car in to the dealership unless you want to deal with finding random shops after shifting through a bunch of Yelp reviews that usually takes you to the cuts of some mission street. Once there, you gotta wait and see what the potential damage is before they hit you with a bunch of rando services that you might or even might not need but is there. This is probably the part that I can live without, even though I've dealt with a bunch of service ticket submission in my 1 month old car.

Reactions: thesmokingman
@PACEMD I literally spit my OJ out! I too have a Yota! Mine is a 2019 TRD OR Tacoma and the "infotainment" system is horrid! You are 110% correct when you say that Toyota hasn't kept up pace with tech. Hell I HATE our 2017 Porsche Macan S infotainment. I really do love our 2022 M3LR....as my wife calls it a "fancy iPad carrier.... ;)

Like you I purchased the Tacoma for its durability and modification ease. Not only that it just simply runs and runs and runs and runs... LOL!

Now I will say with the tires, armor, roof rack and cases, etc.....it is a sucking hole for watching my dollars go to the pump. AVG 17 mpg on a good day. Would I trade it or sell it.....sh!t NO! Love it.

So to the OP. I would DEFINITELY purchase a Model 3 again! My wife loves it and she stinks at the Tech stuff. She just gets in and drives. Premium Connectivity is her favorite feature and if she is in the mood for a song she presses the right scroll wheel and says "Play *whatever* and it works!

Now what I would LOVE is to be able to integrate WAZE. Maybe next year...we can only hope!
I have a 2014 T4R Trail Premium (same as ORP now), and yes, the UI hasn't changed since at least that year. Looks like it would have been cutting edge back around 2000, but wow, so sad now.

Wheel scrapped during parking...

toss car into river.

If I forget about my car's acceleration, handling, audio system, snappy navigation, voice commands, charging network, autopilot, FSD (yes I use it and love it), and reliability, I might consider getting another car. :) On a serious note. The car is far form perfect, but I find it hard to get another car that can trump the overall features of my M3, especially since I know how to park.

Reactions: RipVanFinkle