TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I80 Charge Desert in Nevada.

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by Evbwcaer, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

I am from the Mid-West, but I was looking at the possibility of driving my S home rather than having it delivered.

I found the void between Reno and SLC on Plugshare....this being the land of the Gigafactory to boot.

Not one plug to share for over 500 miles of interstate?!

Has anyone from the area tried to get local business to get some Destination HPWC's?

Wendover, Elko, Winnemucca?

HPWC's in these towns would still be nice when Superchargers hit so you could range charge while sleeping or eating a long meal.

I know there is not a lot out there, been through a few times, just surprised me.

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

If you pick it up you will have to pay CA sales tax. You don't want to do that$$$$ I have lobbied the state to allow individuals to pick up their vehicles with a temporary tag. This has fallen on deaf ears.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

That is crazy. Charge people $500 for temp tags or something. They'll likely spend money on hotels and restaurants anyway. That's all money CA is losing out on.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Yep, my augument exactly! I suggested $200 for 30 days renewable 1 time. It's more than they get if the car is shipped out of state!

5. Evbwcaer

Evbwcaer Member

Or how about zero because they will have to pay sales tax in their home state? Or...maybe pay for the car at your local non-CA service center and then go get it, so the transaction takes place in a different state...arguably.