Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I80 -- NYC to Ann Arbor Michigan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to become a Supercharger nudge every time I have a most recent kid get ready to go away to college, and I know tesla loves watching me spend their supercharger money, but....
OK, Now we are looking at University of Michigan in Ann Arbor near Detroit for my youngest kid, traveling from White Plains, NY (i.e., NYC). DO I feel like shlepping by car to see the school or my kid if he goes there? Maybe once or twice -- but i like being able to know I can do it. We all got the Binghamton supercharger taken seriously, now I am ready for I80.
To get from White Plaisn to Ann Arbor, EVTripplanner routes me through upstate NY and canada to do it, for 718 miles and 10:39 driving hours. Google maps has me taking I80 for a pretty straight shot, for 9:30 with normal traffic, and 637 miles. HOWEVER, when you look at the map, I80 is a giant Supercharger desert through Pennsylvania -- nothing from Tannersville in the Poconos to Macedonia near Cleveland (sound like a war zone). that is 357 miles and 5:27 hours of pure Supercharger-bare territory. Bellefonte PA, right near State college (at 142 miles from tannersville) would be a good first step, but why hasn't Tesla developed I80? I80 is a major, major highway. Does anyone have any intel on this, or surmise they know? Is it regulatory?

I drive from the Hudson valley to Pittsburgh a few times a year so i am quite aware of this gap. There are chademo chargers in state college and Harrisburg. State college allows for the i80 route, and Harrisburg fills in the PA turnpike route, which is a few more miles, but not significantly longer driving time.

Obviously these are no replacement for a proper supercharger, but the trip is possible, even before Allentown and Tannersville came on. I really hope Tesla addresses both routes before next winter.

I drive from the Hudson valley to Pittsburgh a few times a year so i am quite aware of this gap. There are chademo chargers in state college and Harrisburg. State college allows for the i80 route, and Harrisburg fills in the PA turnpike route, which is a few more miles, but not significantly longer driving time.

Obviously these are no replacement for a proper supercharger, but the trip is possible, even before Allentown and Tannersville came on. I really hope Tesla addresses both routes before next winter.

I dunno, but looking at the Supercharger page on the Tesla web site, it looks like some superchargers grow in PA in 2016. So when they appear, maybe it will help. But it looks like they are already planned.

sorry for hijacking this thread, but how much time to do u spend at the ChAdeMo adapter in Harrisburg when going from Hudson Valley to Pittsburgh and where is your prefered ChAdeMo station?

I have been dreaming of taking a Model S from NYC to Pittsburgh since Spring 2012 when I 1st heard about the Model S.

sorry for hijacking this thread, but how much time to do u spend at the ChAdeMo adapter in Harrisburg when going from Hudson Valley to Pittsburgh and where is your prefered ChAdeMo station?

I have been dreaming of taking a Model S from NYC to Pittsburgh since Spring 2012 when I 1st heard about the Model S.

Last time we went through there it took about an hour to 90 minutes at that charger (6054 Carlisle Pike Mechanicsburg PA). There is a nice restaurant next door named Black n Bleu so we ate lunch while we waited.

The Allentown SC wasn't built yet though. Doing the trip today, I would hit allentown until my charge rate dropped to <40kw (80% or so?), so I'll call that 208 rated miles. Then I'd use 118 RM driving to Harrisburg, leaving me with 90. I need 189 RM to get to somerset from there, so add 120 RM @ the chademo charger. 290 wh/rated mile tells me I need to add 34800 wh (34.8kwh). The chademo charger is 40kw, so figure 52 minutes.

All figures based on exterior temp of 32F, Cabin temp of 76F, 800 lb payload, speed multiplier of 1.1.