Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IAA Frankfurt Tesla press conference on Tuesday September 10th at 9:20 (Hall 5.0 B36)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And it's still a bit depressing looking at the eastern europe part. I'm fairly close to finalizing my order (still haggling with 3 insurance companies) and will have to live without any Tesla presence and will have to dream about superchargers for quite a while yet. But at least they're coming to most of EU meaning that in 2+ years time maybe we can expect also the rollout towards the east. At least I hope they'll extend to Finland and then start to come down through Estonia etc ;)

Not really. There are several really big routes missing. For example the big German A7. And there are no connections from south germany or switzerland into france...

But I guess it all comes down to exactly where they put the superchargers.
You will always disappoint somebody when placing a SuperCharger.

They can't install them on ALL routes within one year. It's not like they promised us a SuperCharger on every route within 18 months or so. Give them some time to roll them all out.

Amsterdam to Munich is 827 km.

How many Supercharger locations will there be realised between Amsterdam and Munich?

How much will the distance be (on average) inbetween 2 Supercharger locations along the route Amsterdam - Munich (keep in mind that it's a one of the most well travelled routes in Europe)?

If the average distance inbetween 2 Supercharger locations is about 160 km (100 miles), there will have to be realised at least 4 Supercharger locations inbetween the route Amsterdam - Munich.

You will always disappoint somebody when placing a SuperCharger.

They can't install them on ALL routes within one year. It's not like they promised us a SuperCharger on every route within 18 months or so. Give them some time to roll them all out.

I'm actually quite pleased since the coverage of the parts of Sweden that I care about are nicely covered... :)

And when I take a second look at that map it doesn't really makes sense. Example: If they place one in geneva, why is a route west from there not drawn...
So it all comes down to the exact locations...

Disappointing Press Conference. Was a bit late because of being at BMW, hence sub-par audience spot for A/V. No announcement of AWD S, the X prototype wasn't even on the show floor (was in Geneva). Why no top executives at IAA? Straubel wasn't there either. Blankenship supposedly is in China. It got kinda quiet about him, didn't it? Ready to jump ship again? Benz, I asked about the East Coast delay, but question was dodged (just opened one in TX and FL).

Disappointing Press Conference. Was a bit late because of being at BMW, hence sub-par audience spot for A/V. No announcement of AWD S, the X prototype wasn't even on the show floor (was in Geneva). Why no top executives at IAA? Straubel wasn't there either. Blankenship supposedly is in China. It got kinda quiet about him, didn't it? Ready to jump ship again? Benz, I asked about the East Coast delay, but question was dodged (just opened one in TX and FL).

That's a lot of cynicism in one post, especially when speculating about George Blankenship. If you would follow this forum a bit you would know that he is alive and kicking, and busy in Asia. I prefer him working behind the scenes to get things done instead of wasting his time on public appearances around the world and all the travelling involved. Same goes for other execs.

Yeah sorry. IAA isn't a boon docks event, though. No executives, no excitement, playing a video from the SuperCharger opening in Norway somehow didn't cut it. In comparison to Geneva this year a larger press audience attended. However much less was said.

Anyway, thanks for reporting it to us.

Our new friend AQQU has already mentioned: "Why no top executives at IAA?"

And that is a good question, as the IAA in Frankfurt is one of the 3 most prestigeous Auto Shows (Detroit, Tokyo).

Tesla Motors needs all the attention it can get. Specially now Tesla has stood up and is now learning how to walk (and later how to run).

In case anyone missed it, the press release microsite: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/62419-tesla-motors-supercharging-IAA-european-expansion

heraldonline.com's coverage of the press release (basically the exact same thing, in case the link above dies): http://www.heraldonline.com/2013/09/10/5192452/tesla-motors-presents-supercharging.html

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in case anyone missed it, Tesla promises new stores and service centres in the following locations by the end of 2013:

"Hamburg, Düsseldorf, Stuttgart, Berlin, Paris, Cote d'Azur/Provence, Stavanger, Vienna, Amsterdam, Basel, Geneva, Rotterdam, Arnhem, Stockholm and London."

- - - Updated - - -

Plus, the supercharger on-site at IAA went online today. Any idea if it's a temporary supercharger or a permanent one for Germany?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the Model S 85 variant is apparently rated to 500km range under the NEDC according to the release

I have a feeling it might be permanent? There was a rumour there would be one at the Airport of Frankfurt, so this might be the one?

But we would just have to wait to see if it is.

I'm gonna guess they either keep it alive, or the move it somewhere nearby (within frankfurt) because the winter 2013 layout DEFINITELY confirms that frankfurt is getting a supercharger so why not now? :) Awesome news!