Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IAA Frankfurt Tesla press conference on Tuesday September 10th at 9:20 (Hall 5.0 B36)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm gonna guess they either keep it alive, or the move it somewhere nearby (within frankfurt) because the winter 2013 layout DEFINITELY confirms that frankfurt is getting a supercharger so why not now? :) Awesome news!

I don't think that they are going to move it. But indeed Frankfurt seems to be on the blue route from Amsterdam to Munich. And that would mean that Germany has it's first Supercharger, right?

The ideal location for Frankfurt would be:

Steigenberger Airport Hotel Frankfurt

North of Autobahn 3 and Federal Highway 43 and opposite of Frankfurt Airport Terminal 2.

This location is less than 5 min away from either direction of Autobahn 5 and 7, which is the bussiest Autobahn crosssing in Germany named Frankfurter Kreuz.

Best Regards

My Tesla brothers in Europe, their map is a good thing. In the US, they showed a bunch of grey dots for SC locations. A dot covered a very large area and led to endless speculation. The European map shows that they are learning - routes make more sense than locations for a number of reasons. Perhaps the biggest for Tesla is that negotiating for rights to place a SuperCharger is very complicated and tipping your hand makes it harder. Also, it makes it clear that longer distance travel is the purpose (not always clear in the US). A lesson from the North American SC build-out - don't expect precise timing. Winter 2013 isn't an exact thing even if the dictionary says otherwise.

Another important point. There will never be SCs for every route. Even every major route. I think it's unreasonable to expect that. In the US and Canada, Tesla (and other EV) owners have banded together to drive installation of good chargers (higher current) than the government backed groups (pathetic chargers). In Canada, Sun Country Highway has installed over 1000 high amp level 2 chargers through private donations. In Washington State, there is a current effort to do the same on a smaller scale. Lots of ad-hoc groups are putting chargers in desired locations. There are groups that are pressuring major resorts, hotels and shopping centers for HAL2 chargers. I hope you are all aren't waiting for Tesla and doing similar things.

One final note, at least the European SC map has routes to all the great wine growing regions. What more do you need? Life is good!

In Germany, we have a decent network of 22kW Typ2 (32A three-phase) charger already up and working. Next Friday, my wife and me will travel 600km from home to "val gardena" attending the "Eco Dolomites" We will have a nice dinner in Füssen (well know for the castle "Neu Schwanstein") while charging 2 1/2h at 22kW.

My Tesla brothers in Europe, their map is a good thing. In the US, they showed a bunch of grey dots for SC locations. A dot covered a very large area and led to endless speculation. The European map shows that they are learning - routes make more sense than locations for a number of reasons. Perhaps the biggest for Tesla is that negotiating for rights to place a SuperCharger is very complicated and tipping your hand makes it harder. Also, it makes it clear that longer distance travel is the purpose (not always clear in the US). A lesson from the North American SC build-out - don't expect precise timing. Winter 2013 isn't an exact thing even if the dictionary says otherwise.

Another important point. There will never be SCs for every route. Even every major route. I think it's unreasonable to expect that. In the US and Canada, Tesla (and other EV) owners have banded together to drive installation of good chargers (higher current) than the government backed groups (pathetic chargers). In Canada, Sun Country Highway has installed over 1000 high amp level 2 chargers through private donations. In Washington State, there is a current effort to do the same on a smaller scale. Lots of ad-hoc groups are putting chargers in desired locations. There are groups that are pressuring major resorts, hotels and shopping centers for HAL2 chargers. I hope you are all aren't waiting for Tesla and doing similar things.

One final note, at least the European SC map has routes to all the great wine growing regions. What more do you need? Life is good!

I appreciate your post.
Thanks

In Germany, we have a decent network of 22kW Typ2 (32A three-phase) charger already up and working. Next Friday, my wife and me will travel 600km from home to "val gardena" attending the "Eco Dolomites" We will have a nice dinner in Füssen (well know for the castle "Neu Schwanstein") while charging 2 1/2h at 22kW.

With all respect I would not call it decent. There are some chargers available, but my expectation for a decent network would be at least one charger available in any larger village. Let's say villages above 10000 inhabitants. And with easy access. We are very. very fare away from what sounds like a really simple goal to me.

They remain open minded with regards to allowing other non-tesla EVs to charge at superchargers but it is not currently possible because the superchargers will overpower every other EV in the market and it's just too powerful for all their competitors' cars at the moment. LOL.
It will be fun to see how creatively the press misquotes this one:
Tesla:
Our superchargers are just too powerful for the competition to handle.

Towards the end of the youtube video posted here, the speaker states that superchargers are going to be free for the forseeable future. Musk has stated over and over that they will be free for life. That is a big blunder in my opinion.

Towards the end of the youtube video posted here, the speaker states that superchargers are going to be free for the forseeable future. Musk has stated over and over that they will be free for life. That is a big blunder in my opinion.
Either that or they are dialing back their promises. I certainly hope it's the former. But SC for free forever might not be sustainable. Frankly, I'd rather pay a fee if the alternative is no SCs.

Either that or they are dialing back their promises. I certainly hope it's the former. But SC for free forever might not be sustainable. Frankly, I'd rather pay a fee if the alternative is no SCs.

Elon Musk will deliver what he has promised, he will make sure that Tesla EV owners will never have to pay to charge their Tesla EV at a Supercharger Station. You can bet on it.