Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ice and Snow Install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was scheduled to have my Tesla solar panels installed last week, here in New England. A major snow storm hit and covered the roof in ice and snow. I've put off my install until March, hoping for better weather as I am fearful of putting holes in my roof and shingles when they are frozen. (Also, as installation means power off for at least 4 hours, and with no place to go in this cold Covid winter, I was concerned about the health of the Seniors living in the house.)

Has anyone had experience installing panels in the dead of winter? Was I to cautious?

I think it depends on your tolerance for power disruptions, and need to have the project completed. Good contractors can work in most weather. It may cost them more to use low temperature adhesives, tarps, plastic wrap, etc., but it can be done. I am not saying that anyone likes being on an icy, wet, roof, or that it isn't risky, it is. Speaking personally, I would want to have a very good reason to send somebody out on a roof in winter. A really good reason.

If you aren't in a rush, I think that you made a reasonable call. Personally, I hate having roof penetrations open during wet weather. I think that they are just invitations for bigger problems. Also, FWIW: asphalt shingles will still be pretty brittle in March, and there will be more abrasion of the surface than, say, June.

All the best,

BG

Sounds like you made a good decision. In general, in the Northern Hemisphere, Dec 21 is the lowest day of solar production. So that amount you will generate in the next few months is minimal. Plus, like all construction, things can take longer than projected. And the dead of winter is not when you want to a 1/2 completed project on your roof.

I am in New England as well and my install was pushed out from 12/29 to 1/15. Fingers crossed the weather is good for that date since it's so unpredictable this time of year. Hopefully if there is a storm on that date or there is ice/snow on the roof, Tesla will be able to adjust the install date by a few days and not a few months.

I was hoping to get the panels installed in the low-production months, then get the new Eversource meter and PTO once solar production should ramp up in March.