TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ICE car is so old school

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by ChuckieDude, Mar 15, 2019.

1. ChuckieDude

ChuckieDude Member

Haven’t driven an ICE car in a while. I drove my wife’s car today and:
    • Had to carry around a key fob
    • Turn the car on
    • Listen to engine noise
    • Feel the transmission shift and shudder
    • Wait a second or so for the car to accelerate when pressing the gas pedal
    When I got to the store I forgot to turn the engine off and just left the car. I came back from my shopping trip to a car that was still running and didn’t automatically lock itself or send me a message that I left the car unlocked.

With all this negativity lately it’s easy to forget that we are driving the future of the automobile.

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 1
  2. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

So true.
    I get to drive my wife's LEAF once a week or so and it feels ... quaint.
    I have to go through a mental checklist each time. It is not going to be too far in the future when I sit in the car befuddled what I forgot to do. As it is I already use the wrong lever to put the car into gear.

Any Star Trek Voyager fans here ? I feel like Tom Parris when he tries to get a fossil car from the early 20th century running and we hear him muttering "pull choke ... step on pedal ... turn ignition ... Got it !

3. Dante

Dante Member

So had to take my 3 in to the service centre, and ended up with an ICE rental car for likely 1-2 weeks. It's only been 2 days, and I've got a long list of complaints and things I miss from my Model 3:

- Need to lock/unlock car
    - Can't warm it up beforehand
    - Need to turn it on/off
    - Need to carry a fob
    - Acceleration feels slow (despite the same 0-60 time in the rental)
    - Loud
    - Smelly (actually smells inside, but that's a poor rental problem, not an ICE in general problem)
    - Back up camera is small, grainy, and gets much dirtier than the Model 3 one does
    - How many freaking buttons are there, how many useless screen icons, and why is the touch screen soooo unresponsive?
    - Siri through the car system skips and stutters
    - No huge map on the screen
    - The vibration from long drives DOES make you sleepy... somehow that never happens with my 3!
    All this, and I haven't yet had to go fill up gas!

The only benefit I can see with this rental is that I can park wherever I want and I'm not paranoid about getting my beautiful model 3 scratched/dinged by some careless parkers. Can't wait to have my car back (plus I ordered Autopilot, which hadn't been activated by the time I handed the car over, so I'm hoping to have a nice surprise to help drive me home!)

• Like x 1
  4. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

You can't say the first two disappear with an EV, because most EVs have them.

5. ben1628

ben1628 Member

Well, when your first EV is a Tesla, you think that is what EV is all about.

I have the same problem. We assume EV has all of the above, otherwise it's not EV. Now my pocket only has my wallet and my phone. I only need one or the other to actually drive the Tesla. Wallet has my keycard. LOL. That's call redundant protection. Never carry two car keys all the time. In my ICE age, the biggest fear is cannot find or loss my key, the only one I have.

6. turtlesz

turtlesz Member

I still have my 435i coupe and my wife drives a LR RWD 3 and we have an X. Have leased a i3 and had a RAV4 EV so well versed to the EV world and Tesla world. I still appreciate the 435i and love the midnight blue color with the M Sport wheels. It truly looks beautiful to me with it's lines and long hood. The Model X is a great people mover, FWD are amazing to load kids in, but downright ugly to my eyes but will only cost a fraction of msrp after deductions/rebates. The model 3 isn't ugly but isn't very premium looking to me. Autopilot and instant torque are my 2 favorite features of Tesla's. The model 3 is like a golf cart and handles nice. However I don't get the feeling of loathing a ice car when I get in my 435i. I love the sound, handling and ergonomic buttons are still functional. Tesla's are nice but I think they will continue to evolve and improve.

• Like x 2
  7. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Posts like this are starting to sound like old school.

Every few days, somebody has (the same) revelation and decides to let the world know :rolleyes:

8. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

I had a revelation today, once you get to a certain age, adult Pampers are a necessity and I want the whole world to know! :oops:

• Funny x 2
  9. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

I've been driving an EV for about a year. A buddy let me drive his old school manual transmission 981 Cayman GTS....gawd what a freakin viceral experience! Rolling the gears, pop, burps, and that butter smooth flat six....wow. Love EVs for daily driving...but I'm yearning for an old school manual.

• Like x 2
  10. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

#TMI

11. TeeEmCee

TeeEmCee Member

Thou shalt be tarred and feathered here shortly! :)

• Funny x 1