Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE car parked in supercharger spot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I visited the new Tesla Supercharger station on I-95 in Milford, CT the other day (southbound side). One of the two stations was occupied by a Honda Accord. I'm afraid this will become a fairly common occurrence, since these are premium spots near the convenience store/dining, even though the spots are clearly posted as for Tesla vehicles only. A couple came out and got in their car a few minutes later. I wanted to make a snappy comment guaranteed to shame this guy, but I was at a loss. Anyone have any ideas for rebukes that aren't likely to cause a fistfight? I've attached a pic of the culprit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited the new Tesla Supercharger station on I-95 in Milford, CT the other day (southbound side). One of the two stations was occupied by a Honda Accord. I'm afraid this will become a fairly common occurrence, since these are premium spots near the convenience store/dining, even though the spots are clearly posted as for Tesla vehicles only. A couple came out and got in their car a few minutes later. I wanted to make a snappy comment guaranteed to shame this guy, but I was at a loss. Anyone have any ideas for rebukes that aren't likely to cause a fistfight? I've attached a pic of the culprit.

The only real solution for this is some kind of barrier that only opens with a Telsa fob (any Tesla fob).

> make a snappy comment [Borgie]

Hell, come out runnin' with an axe handle. Let them know EV types are not wussies!! And if you get arrested think of the good that publicity would do. You would counter-claim the driver, of course. The riff-raff are moving in . . .
--

If I could back my car in/park perpendicular and connect the cable (which may not be possible), I'd do that. It would block THEIR car. And I'd sit there, waiting, while it charged (mostly to make sure my car didn't get damaged).

And I'd look forward to them coming back. :)

I think you could have politely pointed out that they had parked in an EV fueling station, not a regular parking space.

"ICEing" has been a long-term problem with public charging infrastructure. In California, we have some laws on the books that allow ticketing and towing of cars that are parked in spots that are denoted by signage as EV charging only. I hope that the Supercharger locations have proper signage here in CA. We also had a long period of hybrid cars parking in the spots, apparently because they believed the "it's half electric" marketing message from Toyota and others. That seems to have died down now that plug-in cars are more common and people are starting to understand the difference.

Anyway, what I did was to print up two stacks of notes. One is directed to straight ICE cars parked in EV spaces, and the other was specifically directed at the hybrids. I kept the tone polite and included a "perhaps you didn't see the sign?" line in the one for straight ICE. But I pointed out that parking a non-EV in a spot reserved for an EV would be like parking in front of a gas pump, and could prevent somebody who really needs the car from getting home. On the back, I included a reference to the California Vehicle Code section under which they could be ticketed and towed. When I put the note under the windshield, it was the CVC section that I left exposed, hoping that might get their attention.

I have made use of these on a number of occasions. The charging infrastructure for the old RAV4-EV was so scarce that I never parked my car in one of the spots unless I actually need the charge, but I generally drove by the spots to make sure the chargers were working. If I found an ICE or hybrid in the spot, I'd leave a note.

With the J1772 infrastructure, there are many more alternatives if a spot is ICEd, but the Superchargers are rare and precious, so we probably need really good signage and vigorous enforcement.

I think Tesla has made one really good move with their station design -- it looks like a gas station, and most people should recognize it as such. It wouldn't occur to most people to park in a gas station.

Here's a screen shot of my notes. If anybody thinks they're useful, I'm happy to share the file.

Parking.jpg

I have noticed in my travels that EV charging stations tend to be in choice locations, often next to handicapped spots or near entrances. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they were situated more remotely to avoid exactly this type of situation.

@bonnie - The premise was avoiding fisticuffs...

Fisticuffs? Nooooo. I'd say more charging my car plus the added bonus of being able to talk to them when they return. I'd move it when they came back. But the point would be made.

I don't believe I've ever participated in fisticuffs. In fact, I'm sure I haven't. But I definitely haven't shied away from having a necessary conversation.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you could have politely pointed out that they had parked in an EV fueling station, not a regular parking space.

"ICEing" has been a long-term problem with public charging infrastructure. In California, we have some laws on the books that allow ticketing and towing of cars that are parked in spots that are denoted by signage as EV charging only. I hope that the Supercharger locations have proper signage here in CA. We also had a long period of hybrid cars parking in the spots, apparently because they believed the "it's half electric" marketing message from Toyota and others. That seems to have died down now that plug-in cars are more common and people are starting to understand the difference.

Anyway, what I did was to print up two stacks of notes. One is directed to straight ICE cars parked in EV spaces, and the other was specifically directed at the hybrids. I kept the tone polite and included a "perhaps you didn't see the sign?" line in the one for straight ICE. But I pointed out that parking a non-EV in a spot reserved for an EV would be like parking in front of a gas pump, and could prevent somebody who really needs the car from getting home. On the back, I included a reference to the California Vehicle Code section under which they could be ticketed and towed. When I put the note under the windshield, it was the CVC section that I left exposed, hoping that might get their attention.

I have made use of these on a number of occasions. The charging infrastructure for the old RAV4-EV was so scarce that I never parked my car in one of the spots unless I actually need the charge, but I generally drove by the spots to make sure the chargers were working. If I found an ICE or hybrid in the spot, I'd leave a note.

With the J1772 infrastructure, there are many more alternatives if a spot is ICEd, but the Superchargers are rare and precious, so we probably need really good signage and vigorous enforcement.

I think Tesla has made one really good move with their station design -- it looks like a gas station, and most people should recognize it as such. It wouldn't occur to most people to park in a gas station.

Here's a screen shot of my notes. If anybody thinks they're useful, I'm happy to share the file.

I have similar notes in my Roadster. :)

I have noticed in my travels that EV charging stations tend to be in choice locations, often next to handicapped spots or near entrances. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they were situated more remotely to avoid exactly this type of situation.

The problem is that access laws require the EV spots to be there so that handicapped people can have equal access to them. I think most of us would rather have them in a more remote place (except perhaps when it was pouring rain or January in Winnipeg). Now if there were two sets of EV spots (handicapped and remote) that would be a problem, but it would also increase costs.

Tesla "owns / rents" their space. They have the right to tow the offender. I'm sure they will solve the problem. Just let them know each time it occurs and the cars license plate #.

This sounds like a great addition to the Tesla app when it comes out. Take a picture w/the offender's license plate, the app adds GPS information, and is quickly reported to Tesla.

A

It's expensive to run power to a parking space. Having the spots close to the building minimizes the cost of installation. I have never heard jerry33's info about close siting being tied to handicapped driver access, but that may be a factor as well.

Being blocked by ICE cars is why I want to pay for supercharging.
My preferred solution is a parking meter charging $10 per hour for the space. Tesla should give us access cards that allow us to use the space without paying.
Everyone else has to pay $10 per hour to park there - whether they plug in or not. If you forget your card, you pay, and Tesla should have a way to refund the money to you when you provide your credentials.

The problem is that access laws require the EV spots to be there so that handicapped people can have equal access to them. I think most of us would rather have them in a more remote place (except perhaps when it was pouring rain or January in Winnipeg). Now if there were two sets of EV spots (handicapped and remote) that would be a problem, but it would also increase costs.
I doubt that is correct - at least not in WA state.

One of my favorite LEAF charging spots is in the basement garage of a public library. The five EVSEs are as far as you can get from the stairs and elevator, and I have never seen them ICEd. There are handicap spaces next to the elevator. OTOH, at a large high end mall where the EVSEs are next to the sky bridge into the mall, the slots are frequently occupied by ICEs or Volts and LEAFs not plugged in.