Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE cars are dangerous.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this live today. 4 cars charred on the highway.

Car fire blocks westbound lanes of I-40 in Durham :: WRAL.com

Screen Shot 2016-08-22 at 11.13.10 AM.png

A friend of mine's husband buys old cars, fixes them up and sells them. He doesn't really need the money anymore as his career is taking off, but he keeps doing it. Recently he bought a car and on the way home it caught fire. He had seconds to get out. He wasn't hurt, but he lost his cell phone and several thousand in cash in the fire. It's turning into an insurance nightmare.

I was out running errands yesterday and the road was wet from snow that wasn't sticking yet. As I made my way towards home from the freeway, I saw a slick of gasoline on the road. It extended all the way from the freeway to a couple of blocks form home where I turned and the slick continued up the hill.

If it wasn't so cold and wet, that car with the leaking gasoline would have been a fire hazard not just to themselves, but other people on the road.

Well, this is a bus, not a car, but...
A double-decker OC Transpo bus that caught fire in rural Ottawa Tuesday morning with 70 to 80 passengers on board was performing sluggishly just before the blaze, and had been involved in a crash in 2013.

The fire happened on Piperville Road, between Anderson Road and Farmers Way in southeast Ottawa, at about 6:50 a.m. ET.
The bus was servicing Route 222, heading east along Piperville from the community of Vars to downtown Ottawa.

While driving the route the bus operator noticed the bus was "sluggish," and called OC Transpo's transit control centre to report it, according to Troy Charter, OC Transpo's director of transit operations.

The driver was told to pull over in a safe area and check it out, but saw nothing when he walked around the bus, Charter said at a news conference Tuesday afternoon.

After getting back on the bus, everyone heard a loud "bang, or a pop," Charter said, followed by the appearance of smoke and flames.

Everyone made it out safely.

<snip>
Full article, video at:
OC Transpo bus that caught fire was 'sluggish' before blaze started

A local Chevy dealer (right next door to where my dad takes his Ford C-Max Energi for service, which I've driven him to/from) had a huge fire in its service center on Wednesday, caused by spilled gasoline and a spark from a floor scrubber. It appears the entire service section of the building will need to be rebuilt. Of course, this wouldn't have happened if all the cars they serviced were BEVs.

Video shows how massive fire started at Buff Whelan Chevrolet in Sterling Heights
AERIAL VIDEO: Buff Whelan Chevrolet dealership fire aftermath

Last edited:
OK. Not so much an ICE cars are dangerous post, even though the car did burn. More of a "This guy is a complete and utter idiot" post.
LONDON -- A British driver has survived a major crash in his Ferrari, an hour after he bought it. Local police called it a "miracle escape," but the car was not so lucky.

South Yorkshire Police posted Twitter photos of the smoking, wrecked car, saying it "went airborne (and) burst into flames" beside a highway in northern England.

The Ferrari 430 Scuderia, worth about 200,000 pounds ($260,000) new, ended up a burning heap in a field.

<snip>
Full article at:
British driver totals Ferrari an hour after purchase