Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE cars are dangerous.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a report on this a few days ago in our area. They had a dashcam video I think it was of a car veering across lanes on their side of the highway, crossing the median area, crossing over all lanes in the opposite direction of the divided highway and going off road at a good speed crashing at that point. Pretty scary to watch. Hope they figure out the cause.

Police car?

OK. Not so much an ICE cars are dangerous post, even though the car did burn. More of a "This guy is a complete and utter idiot" post.
LONDON -- A British driver has survived a major crash in his Ferrari, an hour after he bought it. Local police called it a "miracle escape," but the car was not so lucky.

South Yorkshire Police posted Twitter photos of the smoking, wrecked car, saying it "went airborne (and) burst into flames" beside a highway in northern England.

The Ferrari 430 Scuderia, worth about 200,000 pounds ($260,000) new, ended up a burning heap in a field.

<snip>
Full article at:
British driver totals Ferrari an hour after purchase
You beat me to it… (Darn it… :()

I was going to write:

Ferrari_430_Scuderia_edit.jpg

Image credit: PA

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

Please beware:

~$265,000 rare pre-owned Ferrari may turn into smoldering wreckage within approximately one hour from delivery!
.../ “Officers asked the driver what sort of car he had to which he replied: ‘It was a Ferrari [430 Scuderia (My edit.)].’ Detecting a sense of damaged pride, he then said: ‘I’ve only just got it, picked it up an hour ago.’” /...

Source:

'I’ve only just got it': £200,000 Ferrari wrecked in M1 crash | The Guardian

Last edited:
Interesting Doug DeMuro reviewed the Ferrari 430 Scuderia a couple of weeks ago. He's entertaining, but when he reviews super cars I usually think "who would want that?"

The sportscar-like features of my Model S make it fun to drive, but I wouldn't ever be interested in any of those super cars. They sacrifice everything to look cool and do one thing. I've never had any interest in car racing, but I have watched a few videos of Model Ss destroying super cars in drag races because I find it amusing that a 4 door sedan can blow away a car costing 6 times as much and has 1/10th the usefulness.

Reactions: S'toon
Interesting Doug DeMuro reviewed the Ferrari 430 Scuderia a couple of weeks ago. He's entertaining, but when he reviews super cars I usually think "who would want that?"

The sportscar-like features of my Model S make it fun to drive, but I wouldn't ever be interested in any of those super cars. They sacrifice everything to look cool and do one thing. I've never had any interest in car racing, but I have watched a few videos of Model Ss destroying super cars in drag races because I find it amusing that a 4 door sedan can blow away a car costing 6 times as much and has 1/10th the usefulness.

The model S is a much better daily driver, but the Ferrari is the only track-worthy car between the two.

Many Ferrari’s see considerable time at the track (not the drag strip). For their drivers, a Model S may as well be a pickup truck.

Could also have happened with an EV I guess, but I like to think that EV drivers have a little more sense than to carry an open propane container in their car and then light a cigarette! They're lucky the car gas tank didn't go up with it; this is definitely a candidate for a Darwin Award in any case:

Barbeque grill explodes in Orlando

View attachment 241510

I did transport a propane tank in my Model S last week. but the tank wasn't leaking and I don't smoke. I did mull that is was the first time since May 2016 I've bought any petroleum distillates.

The model S is a much better daily driver, but the Ferrari is the only track-worthy car between the two.

Many Ferrari’s see considerable time at the track (not the drag strip). For their drivers, a Model S may as well be a pickup truck.

I'm just not into cars enough to want own a car better suited to a track than daily driving. Some people are born gear heads. Ultimately if a car can't be a practical daily driver, I have pretty much zero interest.

Fair enough, but that doesn’t make the Model S better than Ferrari. Just better For You.

The Ferrari has 1/10th the usefulness for what you want it for, but the Model S has 0/10th the usefulness for what a Ferrari owner often wants it for. That makes the Ferrari the better choice, For Them.

If money was no object, I could imagine having one of each

Fair enough, but that doesn’t make the Model S better than Ferrari. Just better For You.

The Ferrari has 1/10th the usefulness for what you want it for, but the Model S has 0/10th the usefulness for what a Ferrari owner often wants it for. That makes the Ferrari the better choice, For Them.

If money was no object, I could imagine having one of each

Agreed.

Though if money was no object, it would be a P100D for my SO and I would continue driving my car. The rest would be invested.

She would probably enjoy driving a Ferrari around the track once or twice, but she gets bored with a sports car once she has driven it a bit. She likes "fun" cars, but she has no interest in owning one.

I thought of this thread today. My SO had an early morning medical appointment and refilled her Subaru on the way back. When I got up I walked out of the bedroom and smelled gasoline. She said the pump didn't shut off and gasoline went everywhere (though she didn't get any on her). The car was in the garage with two doors (back door of the garage and the laundry room door) shut between the car and the house and I could smell the gasoline in the house.

I went out to the garage and the smell was so overpowering I was concerned about turning on a light or running the garage door opener (both can cause sparks). I got a flashlight, manually opened the garage door and aired out the garage. After the door had been open for about 1/2 hour I wiped down the parts of the car that got covered in spilled gas. When I was opening the garage door I looked over at my car parked there plugged in and thought, "I wouldn't have to do this if both cars were electric!"

My throat is still scratchy from breathing gasoline fumes, even though I tried to hold my breath as much as possible.

I thought of this thread today. My SO had an early morning medical appointment and refilled her Subaru on the way back. When I got up I walked out of the bedroom and smelled gasoline. She said the pump didn't shut off and gasoline went everywhere (though she didn't get any on her). The car was in the garage with two doors (back door of the garage and the laundry room door) shut between the car and the house and I could smell the gasoline in the house.

I went out to the garage and the smell was so overpowering I was concerned about turning on a light or running the garage door opener (both can cause sparks). I got a flashlight, manually opened the garage door and aired out the garage. After the door had been open for about 1/2 hour I wiped down the parts of the car that got covered in spilled gas. When I was opening the garage door I looked over at my car parked there plugged in and thought, "I wouldn't have to do this if both cars were electric!"

My throat is still scratchy from breathing gasoline fumes, even though I tried to hold my breath as much as possible.

That was a big reason why I ditched my bmws. They would always vent gas vapor during the hottest days of the summer. Hated the smell.

I wish we had the ability to ditch the Subaru for an EV but we can't right now. As it is, her car has become the secondary car. Any time we go anywhere together we take my car and she sometimes takes mine when I don't need it. Though she finds the Model S too big. She loves the size of her Impreza. She is thinking about possibly getting a Model Y, but she's concerned that's going to be too big.

I wish we had the ability to ditch the Subaru for an EV but we can't right now. As it is, her car has become the secondary car. Any time we go anywhere together we take my car and she sometimes takes mine when I don't need it. Though she finds the Model S too big. She loves the size of her Impreza. She is thinking about possibly getting a Model Y, but she's concerned that's going to be too big.

Model 3? You are an owner...also AWD will be available next year, and you’ll have priority. How about a gift for you SO? ;)

Model 3? You are an owner...also AWD will be available next year, and you’ll have priority. How about a gift for you SO? ;)

a) We can't afford any newer vehicles right now
b) She doesn't want a Model 3. She either wants a coupe or a hatchback, she hates sedans.

I am thinking about putting down a deposit on a Model Y when it becomes possible. We can always cancel if we need to.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
How about the Jaguar F Type all electric.

We could probably afford to replace her Impreza with a 2012 Leaf, but it doesn't have the range or cargo space she wants.

Due to health problems her income has been down dramatically this year. She does have good health insurance that covers most of her costs, but she's still waiting for some bills the insurance won't cover. Fortunately her long term prognosis is excellent, but money is tight.

I'm probably one of the poorest Model S owners on this forum. I drove a 1992 Buick for 24 years and replaced it with my S. It was a major budget stretch and I probably wouldn't have done it if I knew my SO was going to have the health problems. Financially we're doing OK on just my income and I absolutely love my car, but right now major expenses are only called for if it's absolutely necessary.