Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE cars are dangerous.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Misleading title. It's just the tire not the SUV.
Source?

The headline on the YouTube video says:

Video: SUV explodes inside the Stanwix Street parking garage Pittsburgh

I haven't seen any news account online via Google search that says a "tire" exploded. All we know is that there was an "explosion" and the fire may appear somewhat more vigorous afterwards.

Last edited:
Source?

The headline on the YouTube video says:

Video: SUV explodes inside the Stanwix Street parking garage Pittsburgh

I haven't seen any news account online via Google search that says a "tire" exploded. All we know is that there was an "explosion" and the fire may appear somewhat more vigorous afterwards.

You can see for yourself in the video. Nowhere in the video is it by the gas tanks, but you can see the fire react to the front tire exploding.

Why can't people turn their phones to landscape mode? It makes these things much easier to view.

tiltcat.jpg

Last edited:
Does the Grand Cherokee have some kind of Hill Hold feature that holds it on an incline for some period of time, without engaging the brakes or parking brake???

Found on website for Grand Cherokee (closest thing I can find for a hill hold feature)

Hill Start Assist
Hill Start Assist1 helps prevent vehicle rollback when starting a vehicle from a stopped position on a hill. It maintains brake pressure for a short period of time after the driver releases the brake pedal and steps on the accelerator to begin moving forward.

1 Criteria must be met for Hill Start Assist to activate:

Vehicle must be stopped

Vehicle must be on an 8% grade or greater hill

Gear selection matches vehicle uphill direction

Hill Start Assist will not activate if vehicle is in Neutral or Park.

****the last item is probably why it rolled, must have put it in neutral by accident. See post below:

Anton Yelchin's all too predictable "freak accident"

Now I'm starting to understand why my BMW has a separate "Park" button on the shifter (pushing forward and back only allows R, N or D).

Found on website for Grand Cherokee (closest thing I can find for a hill hold feature)

Hill Start Assist
Hill Start Assist1 helps prevent vehicle rollback when starting a vehicle from a stopped position on a hill. It maintains brake pressure for a short period of time after the driver releases the brake pedal and steps on the accelerator to begin moving forward.

1 Criteria must be met for Hill Start Assist to activate:

Vehicle must be stopped

Vehicle must be on an 8% grade or greater hill

Gear selection matches vehicle uphill direction

Hill Start Assist will not activate if vehicle is in Neutral or Park.

****the last item is probably why it rolled, must have put it in neutral by accident. See post below:

Anton Yelchin's all too predictable "freak accident"

Now I'm starting to understand why my BMW has a separate "Park" button on the shifter (pushing forward and back only allows R, N or D).

What's weird though is that if he put it in neutral without Parking brake enabled how did he end up standing behind the car? It would have started rolling from the second he got out and let go of the brake, no?

I'm guessing he may have thought to try to stop the car by getting behind and pushing it. Maybe when he got out, he was walking toward the back and only noticed it started rolling when he was near the end of the car and instinctively tried to "stop" it by getting behind it. Thereby getting trapped by the car. Pure speculation on my part. Sad.

I'm guessing he may have thought to try to stop the car by getting behind and pushing it. Maybe when he got out, he was walking toward the back and only noticed it started rolling when he was near the end of the car and instinctively tried to "stop" it by getting behind it. Thereby getting trapped by the car. Pure speculation on my part. Sad.

Could be, yes. Indeed very sad.

Yet another reason why driving a Gas Guzzling Killer Jeep™ is (really) bad for you… /...

.../ Right, because no one had ever gotten out of an EV without properly shifting it into park first. :rolleyes:

.../ When you get out of a tesla it automatically engages the parking brake.
Well... Wouldn’t you know…

Or like this:

Right. So… Could you possibly care to show me evidence of an occurance where someone didn’t properely shift an EV into park and then subseqently ended up Dead as a result?

And please... Do make it an EV that pollutes our common resource The Atmosphere more than this Gaz Guzzling Killer Jeep™. [Insert a very inappreciative emoji here.]

Something people don't expect on their commute.
Salad dressing oozes over busy highway in 'a big, slippery mess' after truck rollover

OK, this is not so much an ICE car, but a truck.
Interesting incident, though it doesn't really fit the topic. No explosions, fire, or fuel spillage. That exact same thing could happen if it were an electric truck. Though, I suppose the minor cuts and scrapes could have been caused by parts unique to ICE vehicles, or he was careless because it was ICE, but we don't know.

A similar incident happened along my commute about 7 years ago. A milk truck swerved to avoid a car that stopped at a light at the end of a freeway and rolled over, spilling all the milk and closing the road for a few hours.

oops.jpg

Image credit: HiPo Joe Charles | Facebook

Oops...

.../ a 2016 Ford Shelby GT350 /.../ burst into flames at 120 miles per hour while [the owner was (My edit.)] attending /.../ his second track day with the car /.../ During the final session of the day, component failure in the engine caused a massive oil leak. When the oil hit the hot exhaust it started a fire that quickly worked its way through the car. A fuel line burst and sent flames shooting under and behind the car. /.../ fire boiled the brake fluid, turning the pedal to mush. When he attempted to use the handbrake, the cable snapped. Left with no alternative and traveling about 100 mph toward turn one, he threw the car in first and dropped the clutch. The car eventually came to a stop, allowing Charles to escape uninjured. /... [My underline.]

Source: Ford Shelby GT350 bursts into flames at 120 mph | autoblog

Original source: HiPo Joe Charles | Facebook

Last edited: