Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE Engine Noise Hurdle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gavine

Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2014
Philadelphia, PA
I watch a lot of EV-related YouTube videos and read many articles on the EV industry. I often read viewer comments and an overwhelming majority of comments complain about the lack of engine noise. In comparisons between Tesla and Audi/BMW/MB, etc. too many people say they'll take the Merc/BMW/Audi any day because of the engine noise. Why is this so important to so many people? I realize they probably never drove a Tesla and just don't understand how much better it is, but to base your opinion on engine noise makes no sense.

Here's an example of a commercial where they exploit engine noise as a selling point. Does this sound good? Does this really excite people? I really don't get it....and look how many views it has (5.4 million).

I won't click on the link to add to their view count, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it already.

This has been hashed out in several other threads, but I think it boils down to a century of conditioning that certain engine sounds represent a car with lots of power and are desirable. Some of that isn't even what the engine represents, but rather a thought process of "I like cars from X manufacturer; their cars sound like <this>; I want a car that sounds like <this>". It will take time to break that association that has been ground into our brains since birth.

Even though I first learned of the Ariel Atom due to my interest in EVs, I suckered myself into this same thought process. I first saw a Wrightspeed X1 (former Tesla engineer took an Ariel Atom and dropped an electric drivetrain in it) as an EV, but at an estimated price of $125k, that (and the $100k Roadster) was out of my price range. I got a ride in an Atom at the AtomFest in Hallett, OK and started searching eBay for one. Pricing wasn't really different on used ones with and without the supercharger, so that became a "requirement" simply so I could hear the engine screaming in my ear under heavy acceleration. Under full power, passengers sometimes think I'm screaming at them. Since I track the Atom once a year at most, the lack of added power, wouldn't impact the performance at all, but, "I had to have it".

I had purchased a used Big Dog Mastiff a couple years before the Atom. Like most v-twin motorcycles, it barely had an exhaust and was LOUD. My family told me they could hear me from almost 2 miles away as I accelerated onto the freeway once. I ended up putting some baffles in the exhaust to tone it down a little and not tick off the neighbors too much.

It'll take time to get people to come around. After enough people get smoked at the drag strip in their sports car by someone driving an electric SUV carrying 7 people, minds will change. One of the comments that I usually make when people complain to me about the lack of sound/soul/whatever in an EV is that I enjoy being able to floor it at a stop light and not draw the attention of every police office within a mile radius. It's fun to enjoy acceleration and not draw all that unwanted attention.

Reactions: gavine