Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE Guilt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting this thread as an outlet for catharsis for myself and perhaps others, so feel free to post your story.

Soon, I'll call my local BMW dealer to let them know I am off their list for an M2 Competition and I'll get my deposit back. When my wife nixed my plans to get that M2C, I went back to the drawing board and went down the Model 3 route. Said car is in my garage as of tonight while my 340i is curbside until ~February. Said wife drove 340i home tonight from the Tesla SC while I drove the new car. That's where the sadness and guilt came in... hearing her start up that sweet engine that happened to be noisier than usual on start, as if to tell me "hey asshole, we've had a relationship going back close to 20 years (BMW), don't kick me to the curb". Well, that 340i has some 2,000 miles to go before I hit the lease limit, so I'll definitely drive that car before turning it in, and with about 100 miles on the Model 3 under my belt, I most definitely already miss the audible and visceral feedback of a combustion engine. The future is definitely here for my household, but it's not a no-brainer, slam-dunk of a transition.

What killer ICE car did you leave behind recently?

I certainly feel guilty for trading in my Model S in on a 3.

It's like I betrayed it.

I don't think I've ever felt this level of attachment for an ICE vehicle. The last ICE vehicle I had that I miss is a Porsche Cayman S. This was before they started doing funny things like amplifying engine sound with a speaker.

But I went from the Porsche/Jeep combo to a SuperCharged Range Rover. I didn't miss the Range Rover one bit when I traded it in for a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I kept the Jeep, and then got a Tesla.

So I didn't really transition from a sports/performance type ICE car to an Electric car directly,.

Last edited:
Previous daily driver was sky roadster

IMG_20180923_133504~2.jpg

The 3 is it's replacement

And the S is my dad's

:cool:

I had a V8 engine Audi for 7 years and thought I'd never sell her (because no ICE cart seemed to be a step improvement, only tweaks), but after test driving Model S I never looked back. I did feel a little bad when I saw the Audi in the city, but I don't have space for a 3rd car, and cars don't get better or more value by standing outside not being driven. When I bought the Audi, I did it because I felt it may be the last chance to still buy a gas guzzler before green regulations kick in. I had no idea in 2009 I was so right, and the future is even more fun and not miserable.

Now I had a BMW i8 for the last weekend, and ICE guilt has turned into guilt of visiting a gas station for fuel.

I got my first EV a few months ago....about 7.5K miles so far. A few weeks after I got the EV, I drove a buddy's Porsche 981 GTS manual....what a freakin blast that was. I loved that NA mid-engine flat six in the cabin and of course rolling the gears...wow...that was fun. Unsure whether I can use a car like that as a daily driver...that's the EV's duty. After that experience...I'm shopping around for a manual mid engined Flat 6, turbo 4 or it comes in a manual...the upcoming C8. Don't really feel that guilty since the EV will account for most of my driving miles....actually....makes buying a big blocked engine more palatable for me.

Reactions: LoL Rick
I got my first EV a few months ago....about 7.5K miles so far. A few weeks after I got the EV, I drove a buddy's Porsche 981 GTS manual....what a freakin blast that was. I loved that NA mid-engine flat six in the cabin and of course rolling the gears...wow...that was fun. Unsure whether I can use a car like that as a daily driver...that's the EV's duty. After that experience...I'm shopping around for a manual mid engined Flat 6, turbo 4 or it comes in a manual...the upcoming C8. Don't really feel that guilty since the EV will account for most of my driving miles....actually....makes buying a big blocked engine more palatable for me.
This fits squarely with Elon's take on ICE vehicles: people still own horses too. They're quaint. Therefore ICE cars have a place. Like a hobby thing. Just as people still go camping now and then, but precious few people choose to live that way in America all the time.

This fits squarely with Elon's take on ICE vehicles: people still own horses too. They're quaint. Therefore ICE cars have a place. Like a hobby thing. Just as people still go camping now and then, but precious few people choose to live that way in America all the time.

I have an ICE car I'll never get rid of for this reason.

Other than that, "normal" cars feel almost broken to me. The noise, lag, and sluggishness aren't appealing at all for daily use anymore.

Reactions: LoL Rick
I love hearing the different perspectives on this industry shift we're all living through. We can debate where we are in that shift but I think we largely agree the shift is happening.

In any case, it's been about 30 hours since I took delivery of my P3D and other than my 340i being curbside in front of my house, I think I've largely moved on and I can't stop thinking of excuses to drive the Model 3. It will be interesting to see what the collective mindset of high performing EV owners is when the landscape is more crowded, but for now, owning and driving this thing makes me feel like I'm living on the bleeding edge. Mind you, there's no shortage of Model 3s in the DC suburbs, but other cars around me were definitely behaving funny when they saw the Tesla.

A final thought is that for those of us with spouses who aren't ready to drive an EV exclusively, I guess we have the option of having them drive the next best thing in the ICE space. In my case, a BMW X3 M40i is very much a trip to drive. Until it pulls up next to a Tesla.

I don't know if that's a paint job, wrap, or photoshop but that blue is straight fire! What's the deal with those big name tag stickers?

Haha thanks! I did use a filter but only to correct the color to make it more like it really looks (my phone camera tends to dull photos sometimes). It's a wrap (the middle one). Lol the "name tags" are the temporary vehicle paperwork from the dealer. I left it on my convertible so that it always looks new and hasn't gotten plates yet. Been front plate free for 10 years, haha. Figured I'd do the same with the 3. :p

Reactions: suwaneedad
For me, it's not so much the sound of the ICE I miss, but the manual transmission. I've been driving manuals for almost 30 years, and never thought I would give them up (as much as it's been harder to find non-economy cars with them.) On the plus side, the trade-in that Tesla offered me for my VW GLI wasn't worth taking. So, I'm keeping it around for a few months until my son starts driving. Whenever I get the itch to row my own in an ICE, I can drive that.

That's a good point. My son is in 9th grade and for the past few months, I've been feeling his car tastes out for when it's time. I keep asking him what he thinks of GTIs and he keeps telling me he doesn't like them. I expect him to want a Jeep Wrangler when the time comes since that's what all the kids seem to want around here, but whatever it ends up being, it's going to have to be a car dad enjoys driving too!

I'm starting this thread as an outlet for catharsis for myself and perhaps others, so feel free to post your story.

Soon, I'll call my local BMW dealer to let them know I am off their list for an M2 Competition and I'll get my deposit back. When my wife nixed my plans to get that M2C, I went back to the drawing board and went down the Model 3 route. Said car is in my garage as of tonight while my 340i is curbside until ~February. Said wife drove 340i home tonight from the Tesla SC while I drove the new car. That's where the sadness and guilt came in... hearing her start up that sweet engine that happened to be noisier than usual on start, as if to tell me "hey asshole, we've had a relationship going back close to 20 years (BMW), don't kick me to the curb". Well, that 340i has some 2,000 miles to go before I hit the lease limit, so I'll definitely drive that car before turning it in, and with about 100 miles on the Model 3 under my belt, I most definitely already miss the audible and visceral feedback of a combustion engine. The future is definitely here for my household, but it's not a no-brainer, slam-dunk of a transition.

What killer ICE car did you leave behind recently?

BMW 328xi. I spoke with the same car salesman that sold it to me back in 2010 (BMW of Fairfax). It was funny - when I told him I was picking up a Model 3, some of the salespeople started crowding around and he seemed to be more excited than I was ("as soon as you get it, come back and show us!"). It was a good car and I had good times with it, but I had to move on to the future!

Tesla and BMW.jpg