Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE ICE baby... too slow... to slow...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone my age will get that reference.

So I can't wait the 2-4 years for a CT, Lightning or Silverado EV to come out... and RT1s are a bit high and impossible to get... so I ended up leasing a full size truck.

But why are you posting this in an Energy and Environment thread?

Because when I was shopping for a replacement EV for my "boss"'s ICE lease that was ending, we just couldn't find anything reasonable with prices where they are. Even looked at PHEVs, which with a small commute, use way less gas (the PHEV I owned for 4 years only saw the gas station like 5-6 times?) but those are expensive too.

Still reading? I really want to get back to a truck... was looking for a hybrid Maverick for 3 or 4 months... markups were like $10k and it was not even on the highest trim. And after sitting in one (couldn't even drive it because it was "sold"... I realized I need to go bigger). So I was at the gas station filling up her ICE and I started reading the diesel pump. It said "Renewable Diesel"... 99% renewable fuel... and disappeared into the land of Google that night.

Turns out, it's different from biodiesel or biomass diesel and possibly better for the environment and the engine. Even with a hybrid, you're still using fossil fuel so while you get better MPG, you're still polluting.

Now, before this gets into an online environmental war... I'm not trying to virtue signal but whatever I can do, recycle, walk more, use solar... I'll try... especially if it also helps me. Diesel vehicles have always been known for better MPG than their gas counterparts. MBZ SUV's used to have those Bluetec engines that always had higher mileage numbers.

I compared the hybrid full size trucks (of which there are only 2, Ram 1500 and Ford F-150) MPG to the diesel ones and guess what? Diesel won. More because the "hybrid" full size trucks are more like "light hybrid" and mainly used for electrical assist in startup and lower speed. So, not only could I stop using gasoline (because hybrids still need to eat), but I could use a fuel that gives me better gas mileage, is about the same cost, and is supposedly renewable.

If you've made it this far, I do want to say that driving an ICE is like literally going backwards. I was so used to not using the brake but now I have to use it so often I think I'm getting foot/ankle cramps. This on top of the fact it's a huge full size truck just magnifies why driving an EV is so much better than an ICE and I can't wait until the big EV trucks come out. I feel like I'm aging trying to accelerate from a stop to get up to speed.

But, at least can theoretically get over 30 MPG highway on a huge truck which is double over what I used to get back in the 90s with my Chevy C/K 1500 (before they rebranded the line to Silverado) and practice driving a tank again before the Cybertruck comes out (coincidentally, new truck is almost the same exact length as the CT).

And, we still have the MY which I will ride share with my wife since we sold her ICE lease and made a $1500 profit one month away from the end of the lease.

TLDR: Went back to an ICE full size truck, but getting better MPG and still polluting less... and non-EV driving is like slow motion.