Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE or EV with a hurricane bearing down?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my attempt to label the ratio of votes from our last election in "American Terms" ;)

30651067385_25776328e0_o.png

The government that actually formed is:

* xD (Sjálfstæðisflokkurinn / Independence Party / "Republicans")
* xA (Björt Framtíð / Bright Future / "Democrats")
* xC (Viðreisn / Renewal / "Never Trump Republicans")

It's xA - Björt Framtíð that left, which I'm sure you can understand. What I find amazing is that they joined in the first place, and everything else about xD wasn't enough to drive them off. They're horribly corrupt. Remember the Panama Papers scandal? The two parties that were up to their necks in it were xD and xB (xB is an (ostensibly rural) conservo-populist party... and generally gets its votes by proposing some sort of giant "we'll give you tons of money and nobody's ever going to have to pay for it!" policy)

The coalition I was hoping would form was xV-xP-xA-xS-xC. But xC wasn't up for it. Sure, it would have been a lot of parties for a coalition, which means instability. But there's actually a lot that they could have worked together on.

xB felt rather like a leper last time. They got a moderate number of seats, but everyone had gotten sick of them and didn't want to work with them ;)

Last edited:
What if your ICE is a 4x4 truck? Can store tons of gas in the bed, and get through standing water?

Couple of 5 gallons in the back and you are looking at 5-600 range. With 5 min fill ups if you do find a gas station.

Sounds nice going to the mall etc to charge, but as far as right now I would take certain ICE vechicles over EVs if my family's life was on the line.

Sure. What if my EV had a 100kW diesel generator on a trailer with a 200 gallon tank of fuel? :) The point is that it was very difficult to find gasoline or diesel 2 days before and about 4 days after the storm. We own an aircraft carrier size, 5.4L Ford Expedition SUV that we couldn't use to leave Florida due to the statewide gas shortage. Model S/X owners didn't have that problem.

I'm not suggesting a Nissan Leaf is the best choice in every scenario but in a situation like we had with Irma, it proved to be a better choice over ICE.

Regards,
JR

In this case, my decision to take the PiP Prius was the right one. When we got to the Fort Drum rest area at 4AM Friday morning, the only one along our route to Orlando with an SC, the Florida State Police had it blocked off, and wouldn't let you enter. If I had taken my 70D, they *might* have left me in if I begged them to access the SC, but I can't be sure. The place was a mess, wall-to-wall parking lot. Even though the trip took 9 hours, vs 2.5 usually, I arrived in Orlando with >3/4 tank of gas. There was plenty of gas to be had in Orlando, so we topped off. It was a great feeling knowing we didn't need to be concerned about the SC network being down on our return, which became a big concern for me returning last year after Matthew. I can't say the Prius would always be the correct choice, but it worked out well this time. Mr T was safe and sound in the garage when we got home today.
And, as far as the one person who questioned my decision based on the value of the Prius vs my 70D: that's what I have insurance for. My Tesla is only a thing, its a car. Getting my family safely evacuated is much more important.

One isn't always so lucky ;)

Depends on whether water gets into places it's not supposed to and triggers shutdown. And while the packs are sealed, they're not designed to sit in water for days on end, so there's always the risk of slow leaks. At the very least you'll probably short out your 12V. Plus, unlike the above, floodwaters aren't just rainwater, they're really more like sewage; it ruins everything it touches.

That picture also highlights one of the great pitfalls of trying to drive your car into deep water: you can't see where the edge of the road is. It appears that the left side of that Tesla is still on the road, but the passenger side is in the gutter. I've seen that several times after heavy rains here in Florida, people drive right off the road into a deep ditch because they didn't know where they were.