Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE parking on Charging Station spots ticketable in Florida

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL!!! Seriously laughing out loud....that blue durango is the same one I left one of my polite notes on just 2 days ago. This guy deserves it. :biggrin:

Seems like this guy is purposely parking there, maybe because he hates EVs? I occasionally get that reaction when I talk about the Model S. I think people think it's a major political statement to be buying the car, sort of the antithesis of "drill, baby, drill!" I have a friend whose absolutely pet peeve is climate change -- he thinks it's a complete a total hoax. Convincing him that by avoiding buying gas I'm not funding some of the worst, most opppressive regimes in the world (Iran, Saudi Arabia etc.) took a great deal of effort.

Perhaps print up official-looking slips that say something like:

Pursuant to state law [fill in statute cite], vehicles parked in designated EV charging locations are subject to towing.

Put in blanks for license plate, date, and initials at the bottom, then fill them in and leave them under the wiper blade. Of course, do not include language that could be taken to be impersonate a law officer!

Might I suggest this: Bumper stickers (for windshields).

It's probably an expensive solution, but this is almost as bad IMHO as parking in a handicapped spot. (What really irks me is when someone with a valid handicapped plate or pass parks in a handicapped spot and it happens to be the able-bodied relative who zips out of the car to whatever destination.)

This problem with folks with an anit-EV attitude is bigger than I imagined. Today on the way to a kick-off party for our National Plug In Day event I drove pass this charger location where the Takoma truck was ticketed. A Lincoln was actually parked diagonally so as to block both EV spaces.

Larry

This problem with folks with an anit-EV attitude is bigger than I imagined. Today on the way to a kick-off party for our National Plug In Day event I drove pass this charger location where the Takoma truck was ticketed. A Lincoln was actually parked diagonally so as to block both EV spaces.

Time to start reporting everyone who needs a ticket, obviously.

Time to start reporting everyone who needs a ticket, obviously.

Obviously. However, its a 30 minute drive for me to get to these chargers so its not feasible for me to police this situation. I've sent an email to the local government employee responsible for installing these chargers. I asked her to discuss the situation with the parking enforcement officer. Specifically I asked her if these blatant deliberate attempts to block the EV spaces could be escalated to towing or booting without waiting for a minimum number of tickets.

Larry

This problem with folks with an anit-EV attitude is bigger than I imagined. ...

Larry it's been like this for more than a decade. I've only been EV for three years but the EV vets I hang with have been dealing with this here in CA since the EV1, Ford Ranger days.

This is why my solution(s) seemed radical to some who are just getting out and experiencing it.

The perception problem is that handicapped spots are almost always empty and even when they are not 50% of the time the car with the handicapped sticker doesn't have a handicapped person driving it and the driver is just using the handicapped sticker to get special treatment. Now because of the access laws, EV spots have to be next to the handicapped spots because they have to be accessible to handicapped EVers. If it wasn't for that, the EV spots could be in an unobtrusive area and no one would ever notice.

The typical ICE driver only sees that the best ten to twenty parking spaces are wasted and thinks that it's highly unfair.

IMG_20120922_153853.jpg

This was at the Salvador Dali Museum this weekend. This Mitsubishi's driver was told by the parking attendant that she could park here if she couldn't find another open spot (at least that's what she told me.) Of course she's from Alabama (do they have electricity in Alabama :wink: ?)

At the Dali museum today:

photo.JPG

BTW, they are charging $5 for parking now, We went to see the Titanic Exhibition at the Mahaffey (on the same campus as Dali) - highly recommend it!

Tip: the cables on the chargepoints at Dali don't reach the Model S port if you drive in forwards. Reverse into the space and you have no problem.

Last edited:
Grumble grumble.
11 spots.

11 spots in St. Pete... that I wasn't able to charge at... because they were ICE'd.
All 4 Vinoy indoor parking spots. 1 spot across from the Vinoy. 2 along Gulf Dr. All 4 Dali Museum spots.

The city garages have chargers... so I was able to find some juice... for a premium.

All but the indoor Vinoy spots are clearly marked. Different color paint lines, etc.

I think that the significant paint markings earlier in this topic (as seen in CA) may help prevent ICEing.

Grumble grumble.
11 spots.

11 spots in St. Pete... that I wasn't able to charge at... because they were ICE'd.
All 4 Vinoy indoor parking spots. 1 spot across from the Vinoy. 2 along Gulf Dr. All 4 Dali Museum spots.

The city garages have chargers... so I was able to find some juice... for a premium.

All but the indoor Vinoy spots are clearly marked. Different color paint lines, etc.

I think that the significant paint markings earlier in this topic (as seen in CA) may help prevent ICEing.

should've added their photos to ICE shaming

It's tempting to create a fake ticket and leave it on their windshield. $500 fine.

If you made it $50 with a return envelope I bet a bunch people would send it in.

Disclaimer: I don't condone this behavior. :)

It's tempting to create a fake ticket and leave it on their windshield. $500 fine.

If you made it $50 with a return envelope I bet a bunch people would send it in.

Disclaimer: I don't condone this behavior. :)
Also not condoning the behavior. But it would be prudent to address the envelope to a (EV-related) charity of your choice, rather than putting your name out there. ;)