Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE to EV doubts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

First-time poster here so be gentle :). I've placed an order for a M3 LR that is expected in June and the more I read/watch around Tesla's I always seem to question myself on whether it's the right thing to do. Did anyone else do this when going from ICE to EV?

I've test drove the car a few times and happy with the overall size (Boot and baby seat space). I don't think the range anxiety is an issue as I'll have a home charger and most business trips will be up/down the A1/M1 which looks to be well equipped with superchargers. A recent issue that I'm now questioning is the noise inside the cabin which I'm sure going from a 320D with run-flats will not be an issue.

Keen to hear your thoughts.

Thanks

Michael

Came to M3 LR from an Audi, having owned VW/BMW before.

I find the LR is much quieter in the cabin than an ICE from the German brands.
They seem to have improved the sound insulation in the latest refresh as the earlier models I test drove were noisier.

Yes, that is what all the posts I've read and videos seem to show but once again, just questioning. It would be a 2021 model which seems to have improved significantly.

I guess it's just the fear of the unknown at the moment which is why I'm questioning myself.

Seriously? I'm still smiling 15 months into my M3LR. Bought LR so we could get to my daughter in Brussels (that would be nice!) - 3 x 15 min stops en route, so forget range anxiety. It's still a talking point with neighbours and other randoms in supermarket car parks - I feel I'm an evangelist for EVs! As for noise, forget it and enjoy the music!

Hi All,

First-time poster here so be gentle :). I've placed an order for a M3 LR that is expected in June and the more I read/watch around Tesla's I always seem to question myself on whether it's the right thing to do. Did anyone else do this when going from ICE to EV?

I've test drove the car a few times and happy with the overall size (Boot and baby seat space). I don't think the range anxiety is an issue as I'll have a home charger and most business trips will be up/down the A1/M1 which looks to be well equipped with superchargers. A recent issue that I'm now questioning is the noise inside the cabin which I'm sure going from a 320D with run-flats will not be an issue.

Thanks

Michael
I've had my M3 SR+ for almost 2 years and have never looked back, range is a slight concern but with a Home Charger and a little common sense you'll be fine. I find that any long drive kind of naturally breaks down into 2 hour stints for food / toilet breaks and if you combine these with Supercharging then you won't even notice it. Superchargers are astonishingly fast and by the time you've had a coffee etc. you are more likely to worry about idle fees than how long it takes to charge.

Reactions: JamesG601
The lack of engine noise on long drives leaves you far more relaxed. You can still hear the road and the wind, and at the start it seems more prominent, but it is just because the engine noise often masks those noises in other cars. For long drives autopilot and no engine noise mean it is far and away the most relaxing car to drive. My regular 6 hr drive used to be exhausting but now it's become really easy. Would never get rid of the Tesla now.

The lack of engine noise on long drives leaves you far more relaxed. You can still hear the road and the wind, and at the start it seems more prominent, but it is just because the engine noise often masks those noises in other cars. For long drives autopilot and no engine noise mean it is far and away the most relaxing car to drive. My regular 6 hr drive used to be exhausting but now it's become really easy. Would never get rid of the Tesla now.
Absolutely, I just did a 1000 mile trip upon delivery and it was great... one day was 8 hours of driving... relaxed throughout.

Reactions: adsheff
Hi All,

Thanks

Michael
You have it easy these days 😊 I was on the reservation list for 18 months, hoping my previous ICE didn't need too much spent on it. I ordered on the first day 1/5/2019 and waited 3 months for delivery. In that time it was absolute chaos, no one knew when cars would come, the prices and specifications changed every couple of weeks. It was a highly traumatic experience.

All of that stops as soon as you get the car. They are fantastic, and EV is simply just better in so many respects than ICE. It's infuriating to see these great long conversations in public places (like the comments on the BBC news article yesterday) where people say they aren't right, will be hassle, etc. etc. People need to know that there is no compromise, it's 100% an upgrade, and an EV is better in every way that matters than their chuggy old fossils.

Never having to waste time at a petrol station, cheap fuel, next to no maintenance costs, ridiculous acceleration acceleration, single foot driving, fantastic navigation and media, brilliant Autopilot. I could never go back.

You have it easy these days 😊 I was on the reservation list for 18 months, hoping my previous ICE didn't need too much spent on it. I ordered on the first day 1/5/2019 and waited 3 months for delivery. In that time it was absolute chaos, no one knew when cars would come, the prices and specifications changed every couple of weeks. It was a highly traumatic experience.

All of that stops as soon as you get the car. They are fantastic, and EV is simply just better in so many respects than ICE. It's infuriating to see these great long conversations in public places (like the comments on the BBC news article yesterday) where people say they aren't right, will be hassle, etc. etc. People need to know that there is no compromise, it's 100% an upgrade, and an EV is better in every way that matters than their chuggy old fossils.

Never having to waste time at a petrol station, cheap fuel, next to no maintenance costs, ridiculous acceleration acceleration, single foot driving, fantastic navigation and media, brilliant Autopilot. I could never go back.

I would just like to point out that "ridiculous acceleration acceleration" is NOT a typo error :cool:

Reactions: Tonyf and GRiLLA
I used to drive my RS5 daily. Since I got the tesla model 3 SR+. I barely use the Audi anymore. The interior sound is the same to me. It’s the tyres that make the difference. I guess I can’t compare the sound of the Audi considering it’s mega loud

EAFC74A8-CAB0-4D67-BAA2-2223DE405A5B.jpeg

Perspective
How soon they forget...
It's summer now - come winter everyone will be back to whinging about lost range, poor wipers, misted cameras and how long it takes for the screen to clear if you forgot to preheat the can while it was plugged in. And as Tesla's get more common there's a good chance of charger queues come winter too.
Nevertheless actually driving the things is nice - relieable overtakes and can be relaxing on long journeys if it;s safe to use the driver aids - terrifying if you pick the wrong place/traffic density

Hi All,

Thanks

Michael
The only real problem you will have is it will absolutely ruin you, not just for any ICE but any non-Tesla cars.

Downsides include:

* Getting annoyed about panel gaps even though you never cared before
* Not wanting to get a rental on a holiday
* Not wanting to fly when you can drive
* Thinking up new excuses to go in ridiculous and unnecessary trips
* Thinking up silly excuses to visit a petrol station
* Getting depressed about the lack of competition at the red light
* Worrying about the poor souls in a Leaf you just passed
* Getting obsessed about electricity rate and getting excited when you 300 mile trip costs £0.15 vs £10 at a supercharger - inset worrying about the Leaf driver.
* Getting annoyed that your car wont drive you home by itself after a few pints even though you paid for the full self driving package
* Getting pissed off about UN regulations... Even though you didn't care before.

So as you can see, plenty of issues...

I have seen a few people on here want to return their cars due to defects. and I have seen SR+ to LR and even P to LR swaps. I actually cant recall reading anyone saying they were going back to ICE. I think there was one person going to another brand of EV I recall. I guess all that should tell us something

Reactions: Jez_GB
Seriously? I'm still smiling 15 months into my M3LR. Bought LR so we could get to my daughter in Brussels (that would be nice!) - 3 x 15 min stops en route, so forget range anxiety. It's still a talking point with neighbours and other randoms in supermarket car parks - I feel I'm an evangelist for EVs! As for noise, forget it and enjoy the music!
I’ve been to Berlin in my SR+

Reactions: Soua
Hi All,

Thanks

Michael
I moved from a Mercedes AMG C63 estate to my M3 LR 12 days ago.

The biggest difference is ride quality and lack of noise: the M3 soaks up road imperfections on minor roads in a way that the C63 failed, miserable, to do. Yet it handles almost as well: the steering is a bit dead, but it is well weighted. The tyre noise is about the only source of noise, on road that has been recently re-surfaced it is virtually silent, but on older tarmac is is somewhat muted. A 320 on run flat tyres is noisey: I had one and in the end dumped the OEM tyres for normal tyres, even so it was noisey. Lack of noise really makes the quality of the entertainment system really obvious.

I came to a LR AWD from a Mercedes GLC 350D, no regrets atall...in fact the only thoughts I have had are “why didn’t I move to electric earlier” - no issues with build quality and panel gaps were more noticeable on the Mercedes, no range issues and in saving a fortune from 22/23 mpg around town in the GLC. Re road noise I really haven’t noticed anything, it’s certainly different not having the ice noise but not in a bad way

Reactions: 15Peter20
I came from a Merc C-Class (W205) hybrid. The 3 is quieter, though if you are hammering it the wind noise seems louder. That's probably as there's no rattly diesel upfront so it seems louder in comparison.
In general, the 3 cabin is a pleasant place to be. As others have said though, the main noise when on A roads seems to be the road surface. City roads are another thing.....you need to be in a Chieftain tank to cope with most of our city roads now.