TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ICE Trip

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by gavine, Apr 29, 2015.

1. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

We are going on a 100 mile trip this evening and my mother-in-law is coming so we have to take the SUV. She has a bad hip and can't get in and out of the Model S (too low). Now I have to go out of my way (the other direction) to get gas which will be about a 20-minute hit. Before owning an electric car, I never realized how inconvenient getting gas can be. We hardly use the ICE anymore and it has been a long time since we've bought gas. I'm not looking forward to it. Any sympathies are appreciated.

2. FourBucks

FourBucks Member

You may want to consider trading it in for the X when it comes out then everyone's happy (so long as you get along with your MIL)!

Edit: Just saw your signature indicating reservation for X!! Well done.

3. Gerardf

Gerardf Active Member

4. tga

tga Supporting Member

Seriously? 20 minutes out of your way to find a gas station in the "Oil and Petrochemical Refinery State"? :biggrin:

5. sbanks

sbanks Member

6. gavine

5 to 8 minutes drive in wrong direction (depending on traffic and lights), 10 minutes to fill-up and then another 5 to 8 minutes to drive past my house again towards the freeway.

Speaking of oil refinery state, I have a client who is an oil refinery. I met them for lunch last week and I used the ICE. I felt funny pulling-up in an electric car when the company makes gasoline. "Hey guys...look here...this car is going to put you out of a job in the future".

7. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

I know how you feel. I work for a refiner. I sometimes think they won't let me through the security gate. :/

My sympathies to you... you will enjoy the Tesla more when you get back in it! Is that even possible - to enjoy it more?

8. gavine

Absence make the heart grow fonder.

- - - Updated - - -

This deserves its own thread. Start one Gerardf....What a great piece. It enlightens how antiquated ICE has become.

9. Gerardf

Gerardf Active Member

I agree, however I did not write it. So I left a message for the author.

10. RAM_Eh

RAM_Eh Member

Love the article!

11. T B

T B President, Tesla Club Sweden

12. exLeaf

exLeaf Member

Very often I do turnpike trip of 260 miles and trip need to be done in max 3.5 h. I wonder if 85 can be used to do this trip, and how long it will take to recharge. There are no superchargers on the way.

13. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

not possible to do at 3.5h without supercharging.

14. exLeaf

exLeaf Member

If I charge to 100% at home what speed I have to go to do 260 miles on turnpike minimum speed is 55 mph.

15. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

You'll want an SC on the way. What's the route?

16. exLeaf

exLeaf Member

MT. Vernon, MO - OKC

17. Candleflame

Candleflame Member

Taking you almost 5h. He wants to do it in 3.5h. Therefore he needs to drive an average speed of 74mph. Not possible. Unless he drives 80mph and uses a supercharger at the latter end of the journey in combination with a range charge at the beginning.