Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ice & water in lower boot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve found a bunch of ice in the lower part of the boot of my m3 - thought it was initially from frozen water bottles but seems it was from water leaking in through the seal at bottom of the door (presumably when I was pressure washing);

None of this was visible until it froze - I removed the boot lining and it’s also soaked into all the insulation under the boot - it’s currently been drying out for last few days.

Just mentioning it here should anyone else be noticing ice in this part of the boot - it’s worth pulling the lining out (it’s held by Velcro all around and 2 clips below the plastic cover at the door latch) and check it’s not soaked into the insulation on the bottom - no idea how long it’s been leaking for - but given amount of water it’s probably done it since I got the car 2 years ago!

On a side note if anyone else has had this - do I actually need the insulation on the bottom of the boot cover - it seems it’s mainly there to stop noise - wondering if I’m as well throwing it as it’s been totally soaked in water for a long time.

I’ve found a bunch of ice in the lower part of the boot of my m3 - thought it was initially from frozen water bottles but seems it was from water leaking in through the seal at bottom of the door (presumably when I was pressure washing);

None of this was visible until it froze - I removed the boot lining and it’s also soaked into all the insulation under the boot - it’s currently been drying out for last few days.

Just mentioning it here should anyone else be noticing ice in this part of the boot - it’s worth pulling the lining out (it’s held by Velcro all around and 2 clips below the plastic cover at the door latch) and check it’s not soaked into the insulation on the bottom - no idea how long it’s been leaking for - but given amount of water it’s probably done it since I got the car 2 years ago!

On a side note if anyone else has had this - do I actually need the insulation on the bottom of the boot cover - it seems it’s mainly there to stop noise - wondering if I’m as well throwing it as it’s been totally soaked in water for a long time.
Water leaks into the boot used to be a common problem on 2019/2020 Model 3s. and there were several possible points of ingress. There were lots of threads on it it in 2019 early 2020. Recently I have not seen any. I think the MiC cars are probably much better. If yours is two years old is it a California car? in which case not really surprised.
If you search you will find threads on it. The most common root cause was the boot seal I recall but charge port and boot hinge bolts were also a potential problem. If you drive through deep water it can actually come up from below as well but that is less likely (happened to me when I drove though 18"s of flood water but most people have more sense than to do that)
I would take the foam indoors and dry it out then so long as its not mouldy you are fine. if it is maybe the service centre will replace when you take it to them to sort out the leak.