TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

ICE'd Superchargers, a growing issue!

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by EV Family, May 2, 2017.

1. EV Family

EV Family Like Tesla

• Like x 7
  2. ToddS

ToddS Member

#2 ToddS, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    I'll make the same comment I did in the YouTube comments: if you are not towing a trailer or some kind of rack behind your model X, please refrain from charging in the "pull in" spot (obviously if it's the last spot, you have no choice). I have been blocked by Teslas using the one "pull in" charger even though they did not have a trailer or bike/ski rack (and there were other spots available). It takes only a small amount of extra time to use the back in charger. Save the pull in spots for those that need them. Thanks!

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  3. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I think Supercharger stalls should have tire spikes or barriers that automatically retract when a Tesla approaches. Obviously, there should be "severe tire damage" warning signs for others who attempt to park there.

4. Haxster

Haxster Member

If your MX has the towing package and you carry some strong towing rope, you should be able to free up a space.o_O

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 2
  5. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

Out of pure curiosity, is this really a big problem a lot of places?

I saw the pictures in the video, but was thinking that might be some extreme cases.

I've only been driving a Tesla for a few months, but I guess I've had some 20-25 visits to Super Chargers in Sweden and Denmark, and have yet to see any of them ICE'ed. Filled with Teslas, yes, but no ICE.

I did however park next to a guy who had borrowed a E-Golf and was thinking it might work with a Super Charger. I kindly gave him directions to the nearest Type-2 AC charger using PlugShare :)

6. bro1999

bro1999 Member

We need more videos from that girl.
    Uh....because of the high production value.

7. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

Call out a Marine.

8. DougH

DougH Active Member

Can I have the last 1:53 minutes of my life back :rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

That's not fake or anything...

10. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I have said this before, until they mark the stalls with something like these stalls are for electric vehicles, if your are not electric you will be towed away with a $200 fine.

11. kort677

kort677 Active Member

while your idea is a good one the only way that this will happen is via laws being implemented to allow for towing/fines for blocking a charger.
    there are very few localities where the police are empowered to take action and lack laws the police are powerless to ticket/tow.
    it is up to you to contact your legislators and advocate for laws against ICING.

12. beths11

beths11 THE LONG RANGER

As I mentioned in another thread, where some were complaining about iced'd hotel parking lot chargers, white cones with black "EV ONLY" lettering are used at the Holiday Inn at the Springfield, OR SC. I had to move it out of the way before backing in. All spots were available.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  13. azred

azred Member

I hoped this aspiring youtube stars couple would take their business model elsewhere. Please don't encourage them to hawk their mindless videos here. Let them from find real jobs.

• Disagree x 5
    • Like x 1
  14. Lloyd

Lloyd Well-Known Member

How about a parking cone that is secured to the charger stand by a cable that says EV parking for charging only? If everyone is vigilant about replacing it after they are done charging, it would be a good deterrent.

• Like x 1
  15. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

This is a great idea, but I suspect it won't be considered until there is ~50% EV adoption rate. :( At the moment, I don't think EV numbers are high enough to have any weight.

16. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

This technique is also used at the Glenwood Springs CO Supercharger and works well.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  17. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Of course, if a SpC is in 'prime' parking (and not at the back of a mall parking lot, for example), it's a lot harder to reserve the spots/keep them free. I wonder if newer SpC installations have been better sited in the lots as Tesla has learned over the last few years?

18. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

There appears to be number of folk jumping to poor intent (e.g. gas hole... sigh. Definitely won't view and implicitly support).
    I'm not aligned with this as every person I've talked to who had blocked chargers has ZERO idea of the imposition to others. My latest example being week ago at recently-opened SpC in Monroe, WA (big RAM Cummings diesel) - he was unaware of such few (vs gas) fuel stations, and a little surprised at why the stalls are so close to the Fred Meyer store (I agreed they are close, though between us we couldn't figure a better place given infrastructure needs). We had a good chat about HP, torque, forthcoming Tesla Semi, American-made, giga-factory going to be bigger than Boeing plant in Everett, etc. Net we started from ignorant on EVs, to intrigued, to elated after I took him for a quick test drive. He's going to keep an eye out for the semi and now gets Tesla more. It doesn't always go so well, though I try and start from best intent and take it as an obligation to quietly educate.

There are things that Tesla could do to help here too. Tesla needs to understand the correct labeling of spots, to be locally/regionally consistent e.g. painting the space solid green with appropriate wording in WA: "Additionally, the electric vehicle charging station must be indicated by green pavement markings" from RCW 46.08.185: Electric vehicle charging stations—Signage—Penalty. - I also just mailed [email protected] to also let them know this requirement.

Of course, if the offender (be it dinosaur-juice-mobile or EV) is aware and still inconsiderate then call the tow company and not sweat it ;-)

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  19. flar

flar Member

Pavement markings would be a huge awareness-based deterrent. Most people don't read or see signs, especially if they are in a non-standard color (even red, which should be alarming, isn't a sign that usually tells you about parking restrictions), but if the spot is strangely colored, or has lines in it, then they start to look around for why. Even a green line across the front of the spot would make people think it wasn't an ordinary space.

• Like x 4
  20. MikeBur

MikeBur ManualPilot

Two most effective I've seen are the broader lines, with lettering e.g. Seattle airport:
    IMG_0296.jpg

Or filled space, e.g.:
    IMG_0297.JPG

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1