Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE'd Superchargers, a growing issue!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some localities do not allow for EV spots to preclude non-EV use. Likely due to parking requirements in local land use (zoning) rules. This is most likely to occur where parking is already tight. Often Tesla signage encourages non-EV parkers to limit the parking to 30 Minutes or some low number, but not attempt to totally restrict it. It would be nice to always have the priv'd spots held for us, but often that is not possible.

I would hope that as electric cars become more mainstream that laws will change. Having 30 minute general parking will be a problem and as already seen in some areas is a problem. Getting the general public to embrace all electric cars is difficult and most of that is misinformation and lack of knowledge.

I actually asked someone who was just returning to their ICE vehicle in an EV spot "why?". The person said "cause you get free electricity like free gas paid for by the city which is using my tax dollars but I get no benefit. I should at least be able to park here for a few minutes".

Have to say, sort of make sense.

• Funny
Reactions: F14Scott
I actually asked someone who was just returning to their ICE vehicle in an EV spot "why?". The person said "cause you get free electricity like free gas paid for by the city which is using my tax dollars but I get no benefit. I should at least be able to park here for a few minutes".

Not sure about this, was this a Tesla Supercharger or level two, if it was Tesla you paid for it when you purchased the car. If it was a level two it is not free. Also that is the problem with most people who will not buy a BEV because they do not understand the benefit to all.

Not sure about this, was this a Tesla Supercharger or level two, if it was Tesla you paid for it when you purchased the car. If it was a level two it is not free. Also that is the problem with most people who will not buy a BEV because they do not understand the benefit to all.

Free L2 charger in a public parking lot. As for ICE'd Tesla chargers, no excuses!

this makes absolutely NO sense. tax dollars benefit a lot of people at the expense of others but that does not justify using that benefit "just because you paid into the system". public elementary/high schools may be funded by our taxes but he cannot just go to those schools because he paid taxes. next time tell him our taxes also pay for jails, maybe he wants to take advantage of that too and go to jail?!

supercharging electricity is not free, nor from tax money. EV charging that is free is still paid for by someone, but it's not at the expense of tax dollars. even if it is at a public area, such as government buildings, that comes as an expense tallied up along with all the other expenses from the general things required to run the business. as far as i know, there is no legislature passed that stated any part of tax payer money goes towards free EV charging. there may be incentives for EV owners, but that is no different than incentives for switching to energy efficient fridges/washing machines/etc.

When was the last time you were there, this thread is about how its always ICED and the hotel does nothing to help Tesla Owners out..

Glenwood Springs, CO Supercharger
That original quote was from May 2017. Back then, the cones at Glenwood were working.
These recent posts indicate the situation is a lot worse now with ICE drivers moving the cones, and the hotel not helping.
I don't know what the answer is. The SC is on private property and relies on hotel management cooperation. It's expensive for Tesla to move the SC site.
Perhaps a letter writing campaign to the hotel's corporate hq would be effective.

I was at the Mississauga Supercharger this afternoon and was shocked by the number of stalls (most of them) occupied by the ICE cars.

IMG_20190411_190945.jpg

IMG_20190411_193813.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
You know, while I agree with most everyone here that that's just unfortunate and inconsiderate to Tesla drivers who might rely on these superchargers, I have to place a large part of the blame on Tesla for location choice. Looking at these pictures, it seems that it might be in a busy parking lot?

You know, while I agree with most everyone here that that's just unfortunate and inconsiderate to Tesla drivers who might rely on these superchargers, I have to place a large part of the blame on Tesla for location choice. Looking at these pictures, it seems that it might be in a busy parking lot?
Conversely, there are complaints that some Superchargers are located out in the middle of nowhere with no facilities and where some don't feel safe using them due to their isolation. It's a challenge trying to find the ideal locations in all cases since they have to account for zoning, permitting, landlords, convenience, distance from other Superchargers, etc.

Reactions: K3Man