Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Iced windshield wipers. Second winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my second winter. S60d with winter package. Winter snow is here.

My wipers get iced no matter what I do. I turn on the wiper heater. I turn on front defrost. I clean snow off before I head out.

I changed wipers to Bosch icon 280e which is supposed to be the best wipers.

I'm still getting 0 visibility and iced wipers.

I've taken it into the service center and they say it's as expected. How am I expected to drive when I can't see?

Any pointers advice would be useful.

IMG_5145.JPG
Here of a picture from last year I sent to service.

I did not take a picture today as I just wanted to survive.

I had a little icing (also have SubZero package) today "driving" in the traffic.

Two things helped me.
1st: I had the climate control running while I was at the location I was leaving from. This kept the windshield clear.
2nd: I used the Windshield Wiper Heater as well *but* I would periodically check it to turn it back on as it only stays on for about 10 - 15 minutes. Once it turns off, the wipers start to get icy again.

Maybe this will help your driving experience, maybe it won't. Just adding what I've seen in my S

Reactions: croman and BerTX
My windshield heaters have been keeping my wipers clear very well. Is it possible that there’s some defect in your heaters? I suggest turning it on for 5-10 minutes and placing your hand on outside portion of the windshield where the wipers sit. You should feel that it’s warm.
Also when you’re defrosting, make sure to double tap the button. 1st tap just sends a lot of Air to the windshield, 2nd tap sends HOT air to the windshield.

Mind blown on the double tap advice... I wondered why the icon appeared blue when activated with a single tap but never thought to tap it again.
Tap it again within few seconds, or else it will just turn off on the second tap. Also, if you can tap once and then crank the temperature to HI yourself, then you turn it off the old temperature setting is remembered. Either way works, second tap is more convenient.

PS> There is an old (October 2015) version of firmware which had a bug and second tap made the icon go red but the blower was actually full AC with no heat. I remember it well as it almost caused an accident for me.

This is my second winter. S60d with winter package. Winter snow is here.

My wipers get iced no matter what I do. I turn on the wiper heater. I turn on front defrost. I clean snow off before I head out.

I changed wipers to Bosch icon 280e which is supposed to be the best wipers.

I'm still getting 0 visibility and iced wipers.

I've taken it into the service center and they say it's as expected. How am I expected to drive when I can't see?

Any pointers advice would be useful.
Driving home this morning in the storm iced wipers had to stop 3 Times to clean them turned on the wipers heaters of no use

Reactions: branndonbriggs