Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE'd?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently watched a video about a couple that were ICE'd (internal combustion car parking in EV charging spot). I have to say that I was livid after watching it. I really hope that if it ever happens to me that I will be able to refrain from doing something I might regret, like deflating their tires, leaving love notes on windshield,...

I've read that some hotels tell Tesla drivers that they have no control over parking that happens at superchargers on their property????? What?? Tesla needs to clamp down on these hotels.

How does the growing EV community rally it's forces and get state laws changed so that vehicles can be ticketed or towed if parked in an EV charging spot, just like in a handicapped spot??

If any of you have been ICE'd, I would love to know how you handled it. Did you ask the hotel manager to check license plates and get the owners out of their rooms and move their cars so you could charge yours??

It happens. Most hotels where you'd find a Supercharger won't necessarily be the type that take license plates to move owners.

In the end, you can't control where people park when there are no physical control devices. This is why there are fines when people park in handicap spots without appropriate tags. But we can educate (nicely, on the assumption of innocent ignorance) why these spots exist and the inconvenience that ICE drivers put on their fellow motorists when they do that.

Reactions: dhrivnak
you have to read the signs clearly-in some places Tesla made deals with the local stores and so, you'll find signs like the one below-most have 30 minutes general parking. But many are exclusively Tesla's-ICE in the EV charging spots are learning curve as well. Patience is the key to prevail,

SAM_1186.jpg

It's private property and therefore subject to owner's particular policy. You're better off getting the lot owner to enforce rather than adding yet another thing the police need to worry about. Tow or boot is the typical response. Then they could at least get some kickback money for more EV spaces.
The ICE owner probably knew there would be no repercussions from the property owners/managers.

As more EVs are on the road, public charging spaces will get utilized more for their intended purpose. Now, they mostly sit empty or are ICEd. When people see that these spaces are used regularly to refuel cars, hopefully they'll be more aware that they are needed by EV owners and not park there themselves. Of course, there will always be those who won't care or who will park there just to spite EV owners. I still see people parking in spaces designated for the disabled even though they aren't so themselves and, in some cases, don't even have a placard so they can to pretend to be.

Last edited:
The problem will go away automatically as more EV are taking these spots. There are 9 public charging spots in my little town. None of them is ever iced because they are almost always taken by EVs charging.
Also, all publich chargers I have seen in Los Angeles have signs that these are only to be used by EV actively charging. There are laws in place so they can be towed. Tesla's Superchargers are often also OK for general parking.

• Informative
Reactions: teddytoons
I still see people parking in spaces designated for the disabled even they aren't so themselves and, in some cases, don't even have a placard.
Perfect analogy. Knuckleheads have driver's licences. My wife has a handicapped placard. WHENEVER she sees unauthorized parking in a handicapped space she calls the cops. It's the only thing knuckleheads respond to. Eventually, there will be an outcry, starting locally, for legislation to fine ICE drivers for parking in charging spots. As EV drivers, we need to plant the seed of that thought in local government.

I still see people parking in spaces designated for the disabled even though they aren't so themselves and, in some cases, don't even have a placard so they can to pretend to be.
Plenty of people have valid reasons for handicap parking passes, even if it's not outwardly apparent why.

Not to say that people don't abuse the system. You just can't always be sure by looking at them.

Plenty of people have valid reasons for handicap parking passes, even if it's not outwardly apparent why.

Not to say that people don't abuse the system. You just can't always be sure by looking at them.

The original intent before the ADA for special parking was wheelchair access. Nowadays, you see people with wheelchairs in the very back of the lot because the extra wide handicap stalls are full. We found this out the hard and expensive and painful way. If there was no wide spot in the back, you simply go back home and try again later.

Sorry if I left the impression that I'm judging people who appear able-bodied having disabled parking placards. That's not what I meant. I was just making the analogy (perhaps poorly stated) that there are always people who don't care or who abuse the system, regardless of the reason a parking spot may be designated for special use. If the threat of fines and appeal to their humanity can't dissuade some people from misusing spaces for the disable, I doubt they can be convinced not to ICE an EV parking space.

I've seen videos of how in some places, predatory tow truck drivers are sitting somewhere, just watching and waiting for the slightest violation, and they grab the car and have it towed away in a minute or two.

We need a hero, we need the ELECTRIC AVENGER, sitting in his tow truck, watching the EV charging spots, and the moment a gas car parks where they shouldn't, it is getting dragged out of the parking lot for a $300 fee before the owner knows what happened.

• Funny
View attachment 232212 ICE owners aren't the only inconsiderate people out there. This was Oakland Airport last Sat. 3/4 Tesla's parked but not charging. And parked front in (with no J1772 adapters present), so they weren't unplugged by someone. Just wanted some front row parking.
I feel like this is so much worse than ICE'ed. Chances are the ICE car owner doesn't know proper EV/Tesla etiquette, but a Tesla owner should know freaking well how rude and inconvenient this is...
I can only imagine what these spots are going to look like once M3 launches... *shiver*