Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEing at SCs and how to handle it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the signs reserving prime parking spaces at office buildings, malls, the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum I visited last weekend (see my post in the Texas forum about this), etc. for EVs, or hybrids and EVs, or low emitting vehicles, or however it's worded is "fueling" this perception. I'm speaking of the parking spaces for EVs without charging stations. Apparently the building gets LEED points for this. It may be well-intentioned by the LEED folks but I think just feeds into this narrative of EV drivers thinking they're special. When I travel I don't want a better parking space because I drive a EV, what I want is a parking space that has a charging station (which I am willing to pay for), in a location that isn't a prime spot next to the museum but farther away where it won't be ICEd.

I think the signs reserving prime parking spaces at office buildings, malls, the George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum I visited last weekend (see my post in the Texas forum about this), etc. for EVs, or hybrids and EVs, or low emitting vehicles, or however it's worded is "fueling" this perception. I'm speaking of the parking spaces for EVs without charging stations. Apparently the building gets LEED points for this. It may be well-intentioned by the LEED folks but I think just feeds into this narrative of EV drivers thinking they're special. When I travel I don't want a better parking space because I drive a EV, what I want is a parking space that has a charging station (which I am willing to pay for), in a location that isn't a prime spot next to the museum but farther away where it won't be ICEd.

+1 to this

I think it was the same when cell phones first came out. They were thousands of dollars even at the time and rare so people using them in public were seen as flaunting their wealth wether they were or not. Now people don't give a second thought to someone using their mobile phone in public.

People actually thought/think that someone having an iPhone/Android/whatever was/is 'flaunting their wealth'? Really? Wow, just wow. And even if the intent was for someone to flaunt their wealth, who really cares? Are people that dissatisfied with their own lives, that focussed on what others have and what they do not have, to give it even one second of their time? (Children and teenagers notwithstanding of course.)

I do give it a second thought when people use their phone in public; standing in line and being so focused that they don't a) realize the line has moved, or b) that the person behind the counter is waiting to be acknowledged/paid etc..., or standing at a traffic light and not realizing the light has changed and they're blocking the way, or walking down the street/in a mall and not realizing they've cut you off or you've had to take evasive measures not to have them plow into you, or look at their phones while in the middle of a discussion/eating a meal/while engaged with a second person....

I also give it a second thought when people use their phones while driving (even hands free). *I* (specifically) must pay extra attention, not only to my driving but to their driving as well, as to prevent myself from being in a road accident at least once a day. Never before have I seen so many people wrapped up in a little box such that they create havoc pretty much wherever they drive. And it is not okay to use your cellphone while waiting for a streetlight to change to green. That happens at least twice a day where I drive.

For the record, I do not own a cellphone and have no intention of owning one. I did own one a number of years ago at the request of my husband. I was making two hour trips (one direction) during the winter, in the middle of nowhere, and he wanted to know that I could call him if something happened. That lasted two winters. Never used the thing and on the couple of occassions I wanted to use it - not enough 'bars'.

There simply is nothing so important going on in my world that I or those I have relationships with must be able to get in touch at a moment's notice 24/7. Perhaps the cellphone zombies of the world simply live far more exciting and important lives? I concede that a doctor on call or Elon in the middle of finalizing the Gigafactory deal may indeed benefit from a cellphone being handy. I expect neither of them to be driving or standing in line in front of me at Walgreens.

But yes, I do give it a second thought usually several times a day and it's not generally a pleasant thought, involving said device shoved up a dark place. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. We don't need EV spots that don't have charging and there certainly isn't a need for low emissions vehicle or hybrid parking.

Agreed.

ICEing and how to handle it

Did I mention the iPhone as the first cell phone? I also said nothing about the etiquette of using a mobile phone in public, just that almost everyone does it now.

Yes. I said the first cell phones, not the iPhone. The Motorola DynaTAC 8000x cost $3,995 back in early 1980s. You definitely would draw attention to yourself using that in public and people would know you spent $4,000 (more with inflation now) for a phone.

The first truly portable phone the StarTac 9000 still cost $1,000 a decade later.

People actually thought/think that someone having an iPhone/Android/whatever was/is 'flaunting their wealth'? Really? Wow, just wow. And even if the intent was for someone to flaunt their wealth, who really cares? Are people that dissatisfied with their own lives, that focussed on what others have and what they do not have, to give it even one second of their time? (Children and teenagers notwithstanding of course.)

I do give it a second thought when people use their phone in public; standing in line and being so focused that they don't a) realize the line has moved, or b) that the person behind the counter is waiting to be acknowledged/paid etc..., or standing at a traffic light and not realizing the light has changed and they're blocking the way, or walking down the street/in a mall and not realizing they've cut you off or you've had to take evasive measures not to have them plow into you, or look at their phones while in the middle of a discussion/eating a meal/while engaged with a second person....

I also give it a second thought when people use their phones while driving (even hands free). *I* (specifically) must pay extra attention, not only to my driving but to their driving as well, as to prevent myself from being in a road accident at least once a day. Never before have I seen so many people wrapped up in a little box such that they create havoc pretty much wherever they drive. And it is not okay to use your cellphone while waiting for a streetlight to change to green. That happens at least twice a day where I drive.

For the record, I do not own a cellphone and have no intention of owning one. I did own one a number of years ago at the request of my husband. I was making two hour trips (one direction) during the winter, in the middle of nowhere, and he wanted to know that I could call him if something happened. That lasted two winters. Never used the thing and on the couple of occassions I wanted to use it - not enough 'bars'.

There simply is nothing so important going on in my world that I or those I have relationships with must be able to get in touch at a moment's notice 24/7. Perhaps the cellphone zombies of the world simply live far more exciting and important lives? I concede that a doctor on call or Elon in the middle of finalizing the Gigafactory deal may indeed benefit from a cellphone being handy. I expect neither of them to be driving or standing in line in front of me at Walgreens.

But yes, I do give it a second thought usually several times a day and it's not generally a pleasant thought, involving said device shoved up a dark place. :wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed.

For the record, I do not own a cellphone and have no intention of owning one.

Holy cannoli! The police LIED to me! Every time I get rear-ended hard enough to warrant police attention, they tell me that I'm the last person over the age of 12 in CA who doesn't have a cellphone!

Now I can tell them that I'm one of at least TWO!!!

Happy Saturday!

PS: On topic- I will have no use for "special", non-charger EV parking when I get my Model 3; my legs work just fine, and I could use the exercise.

And painting spaces for EV charging green is cool by me, even though I see people disregard blue "handicapped" markings on a regular basis...

Last edited:
And I wondered why this parking lot had ZERO charging stations. LEED certification makes sense.

IMG_3259.JPG

And I wondered why this parking lot had ZERO charging stations. LEED certification makes sense.

View attachment 58528
I understand what you're saying is LEED certification explains this ridiculous signage, but no, LEED certification does not make sense. Is anyone going to be induced to buy a hybrid so they can park up front? And why encourage hybrids in 2014 anyway?

I understand what you're saying is LEED certification explains this ridiculous signage, but no, LEED certification does not make sense. Is anyone going to be induced to buy a hybrid so they can park up front? And why encourage hybrids in 2014 anyway?

Sadly, my mother in law did just that. Got a Honda Insight for preferential parking at work (and HOV lane stickers at the time).

Hey, can we park in Hybrid spots? :)

I was at the Lebec CA SC last month and the space to the furthest right had a van parked in it. There were a couple of open spaces, so it wasn't an issue at that point. I went to up the driver who was standing outside the van and asked him whether there was a problem with the charger in that space and was he there to fix it? He said no, that he likes that space because of the shade. I mentioned that there may be some cars arriving that will need to charge in that space. He didn't say anything, but when I returned (after my fillup with electricity and Yogurtland) he had moved the van to 90 degrees with enough space to allow a car to use the space.

I belice that with proper roadsigns and not just tesla's home made design
If the Signe is identical to a public "no parking - except charging" we would see less Icing
As just having a sign that say "tesla supercharging" will not mean any thing to most peapole
This is especialy a problem in EU where the siges at the supercharger locations do not look like normal roadsigns

I belice that with proper roadsigns and not just tesla's home made design
If the Signe is identical to a public "no parking - except charging" we would see less Icing
As just having a sign that say "tesla supercharging" will not mean any thing to most peapole
This is especialy a problem in EU where the siges at the supercharger locations do not look like normal roadsigns

Yes, this also seems to be true in the US. In Washington State, we have a $124 fine for ICEing (actually any vehicle occupying the spot without charging) and in those spots with the correct signs there is almost no ICEing. However, Superchargers are typically on private land and responsibility for the signage is part of the negotiation between Tesla and the land owner. In some cases, it's pretty clear but in others some spaces are available. The actually placement of the stalls in a parking lot is also a factor. There are a couple of SC locations that occupy good parking spaces so they get ICEd fairly often.

Until there is the same level of buy in from the property owner as a gas station (meaning someone parking their car at a gas station pump and going to see a movie), this will continue. That or the state gets as aggressive in enforcement as their do with other designated spots/areas like handicap parking or fire lanes.

dsm363 is talking about when cellphones came in existence 20 years ago and were the size of a brick.

Yes very few were privileged to have it at that time.

I'm entirely old enough to remember those days and my only thought was: "That would make an awesome purse item with which to hit muggers."

- - - Updated - - -

Did I mention the iPhone as the first cell phone? I also said nothing about the etiquette of using a mobile phone in public, just that almost everyone does it now.

Okay, no problem. Insert Motorola/StarTac in place of iPhone. I still didn't, nor did anyone I knew at the time, view cellphone ownership as a flauntation of wealth (or self-righteous - as that's what you were originally comparing it to). And *we* certainly don't view BEV ownership and subsequently having designated parking charge spots as self-righteous. Clearly we come from different worlds.