Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEing at SCs and how to handle it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speak to your local municipality about the public road parking by-laws. If it is private property look at the zoning by-laws. In Toronto there is a parking by-law enabling reserved spots for car sharing. But, there is no by-law enabling reserved parking for EV charging.

@ SherSlick:
Please identify where this is...
I have been to four or five Supercharger locations in CO, and do not recognize it.

There is a posted sign on the light pole @ the far right. What does that verbiage state?

There is typically a landlord that makes the final decision about parking rules and regulations at their property.
I think both the landlord and the local municipality should be contacted with ample photographic evidence.
The Landlord probably carries the bigger stick and could have any vehicle towed if they are in violation of the posted warnings.

@ SherSlick:
Please identify where this is...
I have been to four or five Supercharger locations in CO, and do not recognize it.

There is a posted sign on the light pole @ the far right. What does that verbiage state?

There is typically a landlord that makes the final decision about parking rules and regulations at their property.
I think both the landlord and the local municipality should be contacted with ample photographic evidence.
The Landlord probably carries the bigger stick and could have any vehicle towed if they are in violation of the posted warnings.

Looks like the Denver location near the intersection of Peña Blvd and I-70, Hampton Inn & Suites Denver/Airport-Gateway Park, 4310 Airport Way, Denver, CO 80239, Supercharger - Denver, CO - Page 7.

If it is private property look at the zoning by-laws. In Toronto there is a parking by-law enabling reserved spots for car sharing. But, there is no by-law enabling reserved parking for EV charging.

The Woodstock, Ontario Supercharger was looking like this too. They have put up new signs, but I haven't been back in a while to see if that helped.

I believe most Supercharger sites are hosted on private property. My understanding is that private property laws can enable a property owner to enforce their own parking restrictions without the need for a specific by-law. There are by-laws to ensure things like handicapped spots, fire routes and such are enforced, but other things are up to the owner. The problem is, most shopping mall, hotel and other such owners are hesitant to piss off their other paying customers.

I've merged this new discussion with an older one on the same topic. The only effective measures I've seen is for the site owner to put traffic cones in the spots. Few people are willing to move a cone to park illegally. This measure requires that the Tesla owners be diligent in replacing the cones when then leave, but that's not too much to ask.

I've merged this new discussion with an older one on the same topic. The only effective measures I've seen is for the site owner to put traffic cones in the spots. Few people are willing to move a cone to park illegally. This measure requires that the Tesla owners be diligent in replacing the cones when then leave, but that's not too much to ask.
Actually, I think restoring the cones may be too much to ask. I was in Hanover, NH yesterday, and 3 of the 4 chargepoint spaces in the town garage were missing their cones. They were all shoved off in the corner, obviously left there after someone had charged.

Typical. Truck guy can't even get it in the hole straight...
Looks straight to me, just shifted right (still parallel). As a pickup owner from MA, I will avoid the obvious snarky comment that the driver's issue is more likely his state of residence than vehicle type. Oh, wait a minute... :tongue:

Auto lowering posts that recognize a Tesla approaching would do it.

The Woodstock, Ontario Supercharger was looking like this too. They have put up new signs, but I haven't been back in a while to see if that helped.

I believe most Supercharger sites are hosted on private property. My understanding is that private property laws can enable a property owner to enforce their own parking restrictions without the need for a specific by-law. There are by-laws to ensure things like handicapped spots, fire routes and such are enforced, but other things are up to the owner. The problem is, most shopping mall, hotel and other such owners are hesitant to piss off their other paying customers.

Different US States have different laws concerning private property and parking. For example, in Florida, you can "post" a no or limited parking zone, and tow someone's car, at the car owner's expense, provided you follow the statutory guidelines (no parking pursuant to Florida statute XX; cars will be towed at owner's expense by ABC towing, phone #...).

Tesla should be negotiating in each of the leases it signs with the landlord for the SC location, the right to install restricted parking signs, and to tow. This is right is so commonplace for a tenant, that I'm surprised that they aren't doing it as a matter of rule. However, I'm guessing that they aren't consulting with real estate attorneys when negotiating the leases (disclaimer: I'm a real estate attorney, and I've reviewed some of the leases, and they leave much to be desired).

That truck has a NY plate, figures. NY truck drivers are really good & proud (and brag about it online!) at taking up these spots. I've talked to large businesses with all EV parking spots ICEd, and they just don't care. I've called security several times because I was stranded, they just don't care.

Even if the sign says they will be towed, businesses won't tow their own customers.

Legislation is the only way, but even that is pretty difficult.

Current Tesla signage is another problem, people don't recognize them, or pay attention.

Something like the sign below would be more obvious, but in the end, ICEholes will always be ICEholes ;)

31V2VZw5rpL.jpg

Buy on Amazon

Last but not least, I don't know how Tesla does it, but if the SC charging spots replaced regular parking spots, the business might not be able to do anything about it.

I was told by 1 business that they had to have a certain amount of parking spots available, and making them EV only would screw that up.

Not sure if the owner was full of it, but I've heard this multiple times.

Some solutions (but doable/affordable):

• Signs which fold flat when you drive over them (with soft edges, so it doesn't scrape the battery) would work, doesn't require any power, but in the Northeast, snow will always prevent those type of systems.
  • Another idea is to have a telescopic pole retract towards the station when it recognizes the vehicle's RF signature.
  • Have a loud siren go off when a non Model S enters the spot (easy/cheap), while flashing the no parking sign.

In the end, it's up to Tesla to fix it, and they either don't want to, can't, or don't care.

Last edited:
In the end, it's up to Tesla to fix it, and they either don't want to, can't, or don't care.

A couple things I have learned in 70 or so years:

1. You can't legislate morality.

2. There is no cure for dumb.

I would like to see some kind of extension cord for extending the charge plug another 20 feet to the car. Carry in your car. Those that don't live where there's a lot of ICEing (maybe outside of NY) wouldn't need the cord. Of course, the charger would cut down your power because of the extension, but you could get home.

I personally have driven up on a flower bush area to reach a charger that was blocked. I figured the owner wouldn't care about that, either. That's what air suspension is all about!

This picture is now the fifth time IN A ROW that I have been to this location to find spots ICEd.

That's the Denver SpC. It's a hotel parking lot with Supercharging; the landlord could learn a lot from how the Marriott in Glenwood Springs handles things: with big orange traffic barrels and painted signs on the pavement.

Tesla Supercharger network - Page 614

SherSlick, since you seem to frequent this Supercharger, why don't you print out the photos I posted at the link above, bring them to the hotel manager and have a nice chat about your observations and the options for dealing with the issue?

Last edited:
That's the Denver SpC. It's a hotel parking lot with Supercharging; the landlord could learn a lot from how the Marriott in Glenwood Springs handles things: with big orange traffic barrels and painted signs on the pavement.

Tesla Supercharger network - Page 614

SherSlick, since you seem to frequent this Supercharger, why don't you print out the photos I posted at the link above, bring them to the hotel manager and have a nice chat about your observations and the options for dealing with the issue?

So one time it was the hotels shuttle van in a spot as well another time (I believe) was someone who worked the front desk parking there.

I have called Tesla each time so the supercharger group is aware, they have replaced the signage that got ripped down recently.

The last North American site to open sports modified red signs. Gone is the "Tesla Electric Vehicle Parking" and in is "Tesla reserved for electric vehicles only."

However, you will likely not be seeing this near you because it's the French version of the sign in Drummondville, Quebec. Unique in the continent, because there are no signs at the Montreal site.

The risk of doing this is that if the idiot in the Town Car is crazy enough to park like that, I wouldn't put it past him to put his bumper against one of the cars charging and push it out of the way.
Seems unlikely actually, my bet is the reverse, he parked that way thinking that he could avoid having anyone near him so as not to scratch the paint, the last thing he'd likely do is ram a car out of the way. I bet he'd be mighty pissed off though! (I would also never park anywhere near some idiot like that without taking a picture of the situation AND their license plate. let police and insurance sort it out if he really is that stupid)

- - - Updated - - -

So, will the model X be able to have a cable run from the hitch to the tow hook of a truck?
MX will have a tow hitch, but I haven't heard much about it's capacity, I'm betting that it wouldn't be a good idea...