Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEing at SCs and how to handle it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ION cannon in the nose cone to vaporize the the f-rs.

Seriously though, if this gets worse, we may see people damaging those ICE cars, which would be unfortunate. But if I am out of power and desperate, I would be tempted. I wouldn't do it, to be clear. But very tempted. Towing would be totally awesome, but awfully expensive for Tesla to contract and pay for. Those "if you are bad we will tow you signs" most likely have little effect.

I think placing the SCs at the very end of the lot will reduce it because those who are taking those spots may well be too lazy to walk all the way across the lot to the store. I don't mind it at all. Its exercise.

Oh! how about a sensor that detects the smell of gas and then automatically drags the car out into the middle of the street? Now that would be fun.

Seriously though, I am hoping that as EVs become more ubiquitous, the ICE people will begin to understand. I can dream, can't I?

I would also be very happy to back right up to their butt (if possible) so I can charge and leave them stuck until I am done. And that might just might take hours.

And while I am ranting; a more constructive thought: What if Tesla put gates up that only recognizes Teslas, so the ICE bandits simply couldn't pull in, but we could? That would solve the entire problem. I have no idea if that would be affordable. But it couldn't be that that much to do on new builds.

Someone should come up with a cable extender one car-length long. Then you simply park in front of the ICE and supercharge. Odds are you'll be gone before the ICEr returns.

The problem is going to be the cost vs. use, like the 14-50 extension cords people have made.

4/0 welding cable (the flexible kind needed here) runs about $5/foot - you'd need 2. Figure a 25-foot extension, with signal wires, you're probably looking at $350-400 with connectors, pins, assembly costs. I'm sure some would pay that for the insurance an extension provides, but I doubt all / most owners would. And then you'd have to store the heavy cable.

You could skimp on the cable a bit and go down to 3/0, but you'll start to generate more heat. At 300A (~110 kW), 3/0 cable would dissipate roughly 280W across a 25 ft extension, that's a bit high (of course you're only there for a few minutes), and at some point the supercharger may be concerned with the voltage drop - since the car and supercharger controller communicate, the car is likely to tell the controller what voltage it is seeing. 280W is only about 1V at 300A, but that might be enough to trip/alert protection mechanisms.

(There are a lot of assumptions under here -- given that pedestals vary in cable distance from the supercharger units, superchargers may not even try to look at relative voltage drop only because it would have to observe nominal conditions and then make decisions relative to that. It may not even look at the voltage the car sees, either, so it may work without a hitch and you could use appropriate salt-soaked cotton clothesline(*) to extend the supercharger connector.)

(*) Ref: Reputation points? - Page 24 and Reputation points? - Page 30

You could carry 4 of these and put the car anywhere you want. Around the corner somewhere is preferred!

Amazon.com: Hydraulic Vehicle Automotive Moving Jack Dolly - HYDRAULIC Car Dolly: Automotive

41KT9J2O5wL.jpg

The Wickenburg SpCs are in the Town Hall parking lot; Tesla pays the town $50/mo/slot rent. Three of the chargers DO say "30 minute General Parking". Regardless, we were not happy to see a Town vehicle parked in one the day before yesterday - there were many non-SpC sites open - and we timed the situation. When it was still there an hour later, I photographed it while my wife went into Town Hall for a 'discussion'. We know whose car it is and might follow up on this. What do you suppose the thought process would be for a general driver to see an official car parked there, other than "well, it must be okay for me to park there, too."?

It may not even look at the voltage the car sees, either, so it may work without a hitch and you could use appropriate salt-soaked cotton clothesline(*) to extend the supercharger connector.)
Not sure about your local codes, but I suspect some sort of ladder-line style of dialectric insulator between the lightweight ropes will be necessary to meet code. I understand a direct short (caused, perhaps, by the returning ICEhole inadvertently tripping over the conductors) is likely to vapourize the saltwater mixture (in a spectacular manner). The heat generated has been known to light the cotton on fire. If the cotton wire happened to be wrapped around the rag (wick) you stuck in his filler tube... well... Karma can be a real b1tch... :cool:

The Wickenburg SpCs are in the Town Hall parking lot; Tesla pays the town $50/mo/slot rent.
If Tesla is paying for some of these slots, and we are paying Tesla to use them (we did pay extra for Supercharging, once upon a time...), doesn't ICEing constitute theft of service in those cases, or some other kind of theft (since they're not actually stealing the electric service)? We're not entitled because we drive electric vehicles, but we are entitled to some degree because we've paid for the access. Or am I completely misguided?

Big ugly truck and a BIG ugly SUV

I think Tesla should include handheld death rays with every Model S for these situations...ERADICATE ALL NON-TESLAS :cool:

What a group of a-holes. I shouldn't let it get to me, but it does. When I worked in Maine and saw people at my client's office taking up multiple spots in the snowy, slushy parking lot, I made a bunch of bright orange stickers that said, "Learn to park". I only had the nerve to put one on one truck's window. Then the guy (I happened to know him) came in and was telling everyone about it. I had such a hard time not laughing. It came off easily and no harm was done, except for his pride.

Wow. I didn't realize it was this prevalent. Or at least common enough for this many people to have examples of it happening. I'm curious if these are the same people that will pull into a clearly marked handicapped space? I saw this happen yesterday morning at my local bank - 3 free spaces open. The ATM user decided to pull in at a 45 degree angle blocking a handicapped spot and the section of access sidewalk dedicated to them.

Wow. I didn't realize it was this prevalent. Or at least common enough for this many people to have examples of it happening. I'm curious if these are the same people that will pull into a clearly marked handicapped space? I saw this happen yesterday morning at my local bank - 3 free spaces open. The ATM user decided to pull in at a 45 degree angle blocking a handicapped spot and the section of access sidewalk dedicated to them.

Thats a $325.00 fine in CA and the PoPo love to write them!!

Thats a $325.00 fine in CA and the PoPo love to write them!!

I'm a CA native, and I love that about CA cops and CHP. I hope we get EV charging legislation put in place. It's another revenue stream for the city. I don't see a downside unless there are NO empty spaces in a lot. But even if a handicap spot was the only space left, I still wouldn't have the audacity to take it.

People will do that, but it would be extremely difficult for anyone to argue that Tesla's signage makes these spots "clearly marked"

Everyone knows a handicap sign means ticket and tow, most people can't decipher what the Tesla signs say. They need to say no parking, they don't.

People will do that, but it would be extremely difficult for anyone to argue that Tesla's signage makes these spots "clearly marked"

Everyone knows a handicap sign means ticket and tow, most people can't decipher what the Tesla signs say. They need to say no parking, they don't.

And it took quite a few signs and tows before some people got the message. And yes, the signs don't help. I recall being taught that signs must look "official" or there is no requirement to obey them. The example given was someone taking some cardboard and writing 50 mph on it with a marker. Tesla signs look better than the cardboard signs, but they are no more "official" looking.

45 miles and one year in my Model S, about 40% of that done through Superchargers. Never every have I not been able to charge because of ICEing. I saw a few ICE cars here and there, but they were perfectly legal as the signs said "30/60 Minutes General parking".