Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEing at SCs and how to handle it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a Level 2 setup in London, Ontario that I am aware of that had it's own share of problems: It was on the curb, but an EV owner left the cord out over the parking spot and it got covered in snow. You can imagine the mess when the snow plow blade caught the cable and ripped the whole installation out!
No kidding... even if it didn't throw sparks all over the place, the potential of live wires would have been a concern!

It will be interesting to see how EV charge stations evolve over time. Placing them on island curbs like gas pumps, perhaps under a solar awning (I know a few exist already) may become the new normal. If not for the fact that most people wander off for a snack or something, leaving the car out in the open seems a bit 'second class citizen' if you know what I mean. ICE drivers receive much better. How many times did you get wet when fueling your ICE car? Not that many, I'll bet.... but likely the same isn't true for your Tesla (except in your garage at home!!).

GG12_large.png

It's got to be a real interesting set up that that many people think it's a road rather than a sidewalk. There can't be that many ********, can there?

That's what I thought at first. If so many people are making this "mistake", then it points to a issue with signage, markers, etc. If you watch to the end, it is more clearly seen that this is a way of people bypassing gridlock on the main street.

While for a moment (well, still) think this would be fun, in the US this is clearly defined as an act of vandalism. Bummer.

It's got to be a real interesting set up that that many people think it's a road rather than a sidewalk. There can't be that many ********, can there?
I actually binge-watched a bunch more videos from that same Youtube member and quickly came to the realization that it's a whole different world over there. I don't want to use the word 'lawless', but it almost comes down to that. A few people pulled handguns and threatened to blow a hole in the protester's head... some got out with baseball bats or knives... some got out with the intention of punching someone's lights out (didn't succeed - at least one of those guys must be on the university wrestling team!).

While some agreeably reversed out of the footpath, others clearly thought they were above the law or simply tough enough to do what they wanted. I didn't think the behavior translated directly to North America, but perhaps in some areas it does.

I just hope it doesn't ever come to this sort of response to ensure our ability to plug in!!

Love it. Just like a gas station. This takes up a lot of real estate though. Probably a lot more expensive than what TM is doing now (just leasing a strip of existing parking spots).
It's probably important to note that Tesla doesn't appear to be paying anything for the land... see this: Would you pay for privately owned superchargers? - Page 4

While it's great that the Supercharger network is being built (and likely growing faster than if costly land leases were involved), it results in less than optimum locations and parking conditions. We're kind of the poor country cousins when it comes to fueling options... for the moment at least.

This was the scene yesterday afternoon at the Quatzsite, AZ supercharger site in the Carl's, Jr. parking lot.

penske-ice-1.png

I was so tempted to back in to the free charger space just in front of the truck. Especially when a moment after I arrived, a P85D owner pulled in and backed in just BEHIND the truck (a braver Tesla owner than I):

penske-ice-2.png

You have to admire the sheer brazen gall of the Penske truck driver. I mean, this huge parking complex had many, many places where he or she could have placed this big truck. But no. It was placed right smack dab across four charging spaces.

Penske driver's truck was there for the first half-hour that we were charging. I have no idea when the truck arrived. I told the manager inside the Carl's Jr but he didn't care and did nothing.

A good solution to ICEing is the Vulcan 812 Intruder II. Tesla should modify a small fleet of model S's and incorporate this lifting system onto the back of them. Then cruise the country clearing out ICE'd superchargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: bkp_duke