Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE'ing at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is if someone is blocking the EV chargers in California are there laws in the books to punish them ? if yes what is it for first time and repeat offender. I would love to see there vehicles get impounded for blocking a ev charger at their expense possibly at-least for 30 days and more for repeated offenders.
These chargers are on private property so law enforcement will not enforce unless complaint is filed by owner of property... if parked vehicle not moved then it can be ticketed and/or towed. I wouldn’t get into a one/one pissing contest with ICE owner... that’s how people get injured or killed.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I hope that isn't literal text.
1) Meanness has 2 Ns in it.
2) If you think they're mean, they won't care.
3) If they aren't mean, you've just lost your chance to persuade them to behave differently
Thank you about meanness. I did it on notepad which doesn't have spellcheck. Do you think the offenders would know the difference?
I'm changing "meaness" to "spite".

• Informative
I hope you're right. The problem is, I've never seen such behavior targeting diesels, RVs, foreign autos, or any other such automotive subgroup. I can't help but think that there's more to it than bullies and mischief.
They do it to Smart Cars all the time, sometimes even threatening to run them off the road. Just why they'd be frightened of a Smart is beyond me. I guess it's just what bullies do.

They do it to Smart Cars all the time, sometimes even threatening to run them off the road. Just why they'd be frightened of a Smart is beyond me. I guess it's just what bullies do.

Yes, I've heard that in some areas, Smart cars as well as Prius vehicles can be targets of aggressive driving, "coal rolling", etc. I have not seen this myself, and hope I never do.

I guess haters gonna hate.

I spoke with a Smart Car driver a while back, and they said that monster pickup trucks tailgate and try to intimidate. However, those little light cars can turn on a dime and the trucks basically wipe out on the sharper turns.

These chargers are on private property so law enforcement will not enforce unless complaint is filed by owner of property... if parked vehicle not moved then it can be ticketed and/or towed. I wouldn’t get into a one/one pissing contest with ICE owner... that’s how people get injured or killed.
Fat chance of that happening when you can currently walk around busting peoples windows without any repercussion. I'd probably just go get my ol 3500 pickup and block them in with that :) Assuming it was an option. "I'm with you guys" might take them a minute or two before they figure out I won't be back for a while.

I made a post a couple months ago about being bullied by pickups with lightbars and people didn't believe me hah.

Or maybe a tank of C02 and a train horn could get them moving :)

Last edited:
I've had people flip me the bird while driving for no reason at all. I was not driving slow in left lane, or blocking them at all. I was doing nothing provocative at all. The only thing I could come up with was the Tesla.
Maybe they assumed you were that Model 3 that cut them off the day before? Like, how many Midnight Silver Metallic Model 3s could there be? :)

My friend got ICE'd at a destination charger in Houston at her hotel. The front desk called the offending party and told them to move their SUV. I think a lot of people just park in these stalls figuring there are not enough EV's for to need to worry. There are also the morons that do it on purpose too, like the people we see with their diesel trucks trying to block every stall at a recharging station.

My question is if someone is blocking the EV chargers in California are there laws in the books to punish them ? if yes what is it for first time and repeat offender. I would love to see there vehicles get impounded for blocking a ev charger at their expense possibly at-least for 30 days and more for repeated offenders.

CVC22511 deals with this however most departments don't know about this. So you will need to quote this CVC number. In addition proper signage must be placed. This law also deals with electric cars not charging.
http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=22511.