Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICE'ing at Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in a state that was in the Union yet I see folks driving around diesel trucks with Confederate flags near where I live, and in my Volt I had numerous guys try to roll coal on me. Gen1 Volt doesn't come with an air filter so you can imagine how crappy the experience was. Those trucks can't keep up with my 3 so I haven't had issues yet.

Still even with a P3D, it's hazardous and dangerous the way they are driving.
I like the "Dick's" sign right above that one truck.

As others have said in this thread, I'm not sure what these guys are protesting or trying to prove. More EV's on the road makes for lower demand for gasoline/diesel, which should reduce the prices for those fuels in the long run. And of course, Tesla employs a huge American workforce, designing and assembling their vehicles right here in the States. It isn't like Tesla is some kind of foreign car maker trying to take over and destroy American automakers. I love my ICE vehicles, love working on them, and love my American made performance V8 engine; I love cars in general. I'm not sure what's not to like about Tesla. I hate having to call people nitwits and morons, but there just isn't much more to say about guys like these.

I am pretty sure deep down... is the same felling why many Porsche owners needs to park far away from the crowd to avoid dents and scratches.. not comparing Tesla brand to it, to me is just a thing take me A to B... faster though, super fast.

Some people fear what they don't understand, leading to poor judgement and behavior. History teaches that fear plus ignorance is a very dangerous combination.

Curious what the ancestors of those folks did when combustion cars became mainstream haha... they sabotaged gas stations? placed their horses and put the gas pump into the horse's mouth? Damn I'm inspired, should try out stand up comedy with EVs as theme hahaha

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Last week I charged at a new supercharger station in Newark, California, in the SF Bay Area, at the NewPark Mall. There are 16 compact chargers along Mowry Avenue but they are right next to the Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar, and more than half of the charger parking spaces were "Iced" out by gasoline cars parking for the Bar and Restaurant. Sadly, although there were Tesla signs present, the label on the sign also said "General Parking." Here are some pictures and some of Teslas waiting for a spot to open up.

What can I do? Was thinking about going to a sign shop and getting 16 red stickers or embossed labels that stated "electric vehicle parking only, violators will be towed," and citing some imaginary city ordinance.

This is very disappointing

IMG_5750.jpg
IMG_5749.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: mociaf9
Last week I charged at a new supercharger station in Newark, California, in the SF Bay Area, at the NewPark Mall. There are 16 compact chargers along Mowry Avenue but they are right next to the Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar, and more than half of the charger parking spaces were "Iced" out by gasoline cars parking for the Bar and Restaurant. Sadly, although there were Tesla signs present, the label on the sign also said "General Parking." Here are some pictures and some of Teslas waiting for a spot to open up.

What can I do? Was thinking about going to a sign shop and getting 16 red stickers or embossed labels that stated "electric vehicle parking only, violators will be towed," and citing some imaginary city ordinance.

This is very disappointing

View attachment 463716 View attachment 463717
If they are labeled general parking, they are just that.

If they are labeled general parking, they are just that.
That is so stupid to have electric vehicle chargers spots (and some SC locations) that are also general parking spots, I understand that most of the time the spots are in a premium parking area location because it is closer to the grid to run the power, I really like it when the SC's are located in the further reaches of the parking lot so lazy people are not tempted to ICE them such as the Oxnard location.

Reactions: Glamisduner
That is so stupid to have electric vehicle chargers spots (and some SC locations) that are also general parking spots
Tesla has to negotiate for those spaces with the property owner. There are retail parking requirements in local ordinances that require a number of available spaces relative to the square footage of the establishment. So in some cases, there's just no getting around it. Tesla can either find a parking lot that is larger with a lot of surplus capacity, or they have to allow the property owner to dictate how many spaces will be considered "general parking" as well as Tesla charging. It's a necessary evil, and I get that it's frustrating.

It might make sense for Tesla to include that information in the nav - 3/12 chargers in use, chargers may be used for general parking. Or something to that effect. At least we'd have an idea. Or they could build in occupancy sensors to the pedestals so that we can actually get a count of occupied spaces instead of using a count of plugged in cars.