TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

ICE'ing at Superchargers

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by gilscales, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Dan_LA

Dan_LA Member

Still even with a P3D, it's hazardous and dangerous the way they are driving.
    I am pretty sure deep down... is the same felling why many Porsche owners needs to park far away from the crowd to avoid dents and scratches.. not comparing Tesla brand to it, to me is just a thing take me A to B... faster though, super fast.

2. Dan_LA

Dan_LA Member

Curious what the ancestors of those folks did when combustion cars became mainstream haha... they sabotaged gas stations? placed their horses and put the gas pump into the horse's mouth? Damn I'm inspired, should try out stand up comedy with EVs as theme hahaha

• Funny x 1
  3. Dan_LA

Dan_LA Member

Elon should stop developing farts and start researching tazer guns embedded on the Teslas ahhaa

• Funny x 1
  4. Dan_LA

Dan_LA Member

Is that true? Didn't know it was considered assault... need to check on that.

5. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

Yep. CZ75, three clips, and combat training..

6. Zorg

Zorg Member

About offering a ride to the offending party to show them how cool Teslas are?

7. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

8. Dan_LA

Dan_LA Member

9. sdrevik

sdrevik Member

10. SwedishSTIle

SwedishSTIle Member

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  11. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Correct. There are collections of videos showing this kind of mistake, and it's extremely dangerous.

• Like x 1
  12. mbp11

mbp11 Member

Last week I charged at a new supercharger station in Newark, California, in the SF Bay Area, at the NewPark Mall. There are 16 compact chargers along Mowry Avenue but they are right next to the Lazy Dog Restaurant and Bar, and more than half of the charger parking spaces were "Iced" out by gasoline cars parking for the Bar and Restaurant. Sadly, although there were Tesla signs present, the label on the sign also said "General Parking." Here are some pictures and some of Teslas waiting for a spot to open up.

What can I do? Was thinking about going to a sign shop and getting 16 red stickers or embossed labels that stated "electric vehicle parking only, violators will be towed," and citing some imaginary city ordinance.

This is very disappointing

IMG_5750.jpg IMG_5749.jpg

• Disagree x 1
  13. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

If they are labeled general parking, they are just that.

• Like x 3
  14. gilscales

gilscales Active Member

That is so stupid to have electric vehicle chargers spots (and some SC locations) that are also general parking spots, I understand that most of the time the spots are in a premium parking area location because it is closer to the grid to run the power, I really like it when the SC's are located in the further reaches of the parking lot so lazy people are not tempted to ICE them such as the Oxnard location.

• Like x 1
  15. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

If it's all about "labeling", I've never seen gas pumps labeled "no parking" so I guess I can park my Tesla there? /s

• Funny x 2
  16. Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak Active Member

Sometimes the easiest solution is also the best.

IMG_20190930_091312.jpg

• Like x 2
  17. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2019.36.2.1

It's still not perfect though. I've seen Teslas parked perpendicularly, taking up three charging spots before. :(

• Funny x 1
  18. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

Tesla has to negotiate for those spaces with the property owner. There are retail parking requirements in local ordinances that require a number of available spaces relative to the square footage of the establishment. So in some cases, there's just no getting around it. Tesla can either find a parking lot that is larger with a lot of surplus capacity, or they have to allow the property owner to dictate how many spaces will be considered "general parking" as well as Tesla charging. It's a necessary evil, and I get that it's frustrating.

It might make sense for Tesla to include that information in the nav - 3/12 chargers in use, chargers may be used for general parking. Or something to that effect. At least we'd have an idea. Or they could build in occupancy sensors to the pedestals so that we can actually get a count of occupied spaces instead of using a count of plugged in cars.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

It's never about what is not labeled.

I agree it's frustrating, but that is something to take up with the property owner, not the people parking there. Are those superchargers or Level 2 chargers?

20. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

We have talked about this many times, until Tesla has signs that say Tesla only, no general parking and cars will be towed and you will be fined this will continue.