Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ICEing condoned in downtown Kingston, ON

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that is misleading calling this "Condoned ICEing".

I didn't bother reading the article but putting the chargers in visible locations had good intentions.
In fact I had NO IDEA there were so many charging stations and how far EV had come along because all the charging stations are so tucked away.

Let's not give ICEing any extra hype here and they will get bored and go home.

Ok I read it. I saw nothing in that article Condoning Blocking EV's with the intention of preventing them from charging when there are other spaces available.

Not even close.

Oh, so we differ on meaning of ICEing

What does ICEING stand for?

Internal Combustion Engine (vehicle occupying EV parking space)

intent is not in the definition So, no, there's no mention of intent of preventing charging in the article, but city official's are fine with ICE vehicles who simply want to park blocking access to charging stations.

People just taking a "convenient parking space" is a more common type of ICEing than someone taking a spot with the intention of blocking EVs.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Oh, so we differ on meaning of ICEing

What does ICEING stand for?

Internal Combustion Engine (vehicle occupying EV parking space)

intent is not in the definition So, no, there's no mention of intent of preventing charging in the article, but city official's are fine with ICE vehicles who simply want to park blocking access to charging stations.

People just taking a "convenient parking space" is a more common type of ICEing than someone taking a spot with the intention of blocking EVs.

Our definitions are quite different.

ICEing means any ICE car blocking an EV charging station. It doesn't mean as a malicious act of vandalism like those guys in trucks down south. It means for any reason, just a jackass who wants a parking spot.

I've lived in Kingston. It sucks. Only place I've ever been and turns people into arrogant douches by sheer osmosis. It's the Queens University and RMC effect. RMC. Turning out the worst officers in the Canadian Armed Forces for over 130 years.

It is either expensive PR or lack of knowledge (AKA incompetence) or both - very common in current politics or business.

It is public money wasted on something that can show one group - "we supported you this year by spending $100,000 on your chargers" and show the other group " you were right, nobody wants these chargers because they are used only 0.5% of time". And if somebody complain about incompetence then that person can be marked as negative, because positive thinking person should see the effort councillors made by installing charging station in very visible spots.

It is either expensive PR or lack of knowledge (AKA incompetence) or both - very common in current politics or business.

It is public money wasted on something that can show one group - "we supported you this year by spending $100,000 on your chargers" and show the other group " you were right, nobody wants these chargers because they are used only 0.5% of time". And if somebody complain about incompetence then that person can be marked as negative, because positive thinking person should see the effort councillors made by installing charging station in very visible spots.

I think tucking charging stations off in some corner is necessary today. But in the long term it would be nice if they were sprinkled about throughout normal parking spaces, just like a parking meter. I think this wasn't any devious plan to show why EV won't work and was just a little ahead of it's time and perhaps naive. I bet in a decade or two, this will be the norm. And there will still be ICE vehicles in charging spots, but there will be plenty of charging spots available. Anywhere it's already difficult to park, regardless of charging, it will be difficult to implement until every spot has a charger.

Why do folks always want to spin things so negatively.

You cant blame the drivers for parking in spots they are allowed to park in, regardless if there is a charging station there or not. Move the chargers to a discrete location and let EV's go at it. Its basically a $100,000 PR stunt

Agreed, either put a ton of them tucked away with a marker like Tesla's SCs or mark them EVs only. I had to do a double take to find the new SC in Mississauga by Winston Churchill and Argentia (Next to CIBC way in the back).

Same night, a white Tesla couldn't locate the L2 chargers at Square One. For L2 or lower chargers, anything less than 12 spaces in a cluster need to be highly visible for users to find (or put in better signage - but this is the city we're talking about. Signs aren't their thing).

The Evergreen Brickworks did it perfectly. The EV chargers are smack in front of the drop off point - rewarding users who's purchased a plug in vehicle.

Attachments

• 20190131_215325.jpg
    20190131_215325.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 49
  • 20190131_215434.jpg
    20190131_215434.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190131_220139.jpg
    20190131_220139.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 43
Reactions: MarcoRP