TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Icing

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by mduflos, Dec 29, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mduflos

mduflos Member

OK this is not a new thing but it's quite annoying, especially when you need to charge. What to do when you witness it? I've tried reporting but I've yet to see any consequence (ticket, towing) for those individuals.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

It’s even more insulting that it’s a Hummer...

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
  3. Whitehawk

Whitehawk Member

While incredibly rude, at least there is an option to charge from the other side. Unless it’s illegal in your jurisdiction, there is little you can do except leave a note... Stuff like this makes me want to respond inappropriately...as a vandal. That said, most ICE drivers only see the parking spots as unused and available...more education is needed. I too have seen this - sometimes when driving my Jeep which as a winch attached to the front bumper.....

• Informative x 1
  4. nickID

nickID Member

#4 nickID, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Here we see a hybrid owner pretending they have an EV. For all of the four reasons they might do this, we should pity these people: they are (1) envious of EVs, (2) too air-headed to realize what they're doing, (3) arrogant enough to think rules don't apply to them, or (4) petty enough to intentionally try to annoy people.

If the charge cable is long enough, like it was in this situation, I try to find an available spot nearby and plug in as close as possible.
    icing.jpg

• Informative x 1
  5. mduflos

mduflos Member

The fact that it's a Hummer and that there were plenty of spots around makes me think it was not an accident. Maybe I should start blocking gas stations with my Tesla and see what kind of reaction I get.

• Like x 1
  6. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

Put it up on cinder blocks and grab the wheels.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Active Member

IMO, this is the fault of Whole Foods. The sign says, "Preferred" for EVs, not 'EV's only'. So yeah, it sucks and is dis-courteous, but the gas mobile is in his/her rights as per the sign 'rules'.

• Like x 3
  8. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

• Funny x 1
  9. UnderCharged

UnderCharged Member

You could always carry zip-ties in your car, then if your iced in the parking lot of a shopping center. just zip-tie a shopping cart to his door handle. Or you can just drive off to the next one and not let it bother you as much, yes its bs but sometimes the higher road is more pleasing.

• Funny x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  10. nickID

nickID Member

#10 nickID, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is right. True, the sign could be more strongly worded. But some personal accountability can go a long way rather than relying on companies' and governments' policies to dictate how we behave. There's a lot full of available normal spaces; if someone reads the sign and proceeds to take one of only two EV spots because it says "preferred", that person is a part of the problem.

edit: To clarify, I understand that they are within their "legal rights" to park there, in the same sense that somebody who cuts in a line (or queue) somewhere is usually not breaking any actual laws. Still, people generally don't cut (or tolerate cutting) because it's not fundamentally/morally right.

11. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

For some reason, if it was me i would probably laugh at the irony of it and actually be a little less mad...but just a little.

• Like x 1
  12. Ivan Abundance

Always carry a jug of kerosene and some road flares.

Not for the offending vehicle, of course.

• Funny x 1
  13. Evoforce

Evoforce Active Member

Tow strap and a Tesla is all you need! ;)

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  14. digitalDCH

digitalDCH Member

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. Tessaract

Tessaract Member

While it's not admirable to fight antisocial behavior with more of the same, my baser instincts also "come knocking" with this kind of stuff. I've fantasized about pasting a large note to the offender's driver's windshield with flour and water (leaving no permanent damage, but definately a large inconvenience factor), stuffing a potato into the tailpipe,... Just a fantasy.

16. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 100D 2020.48.30

#16 MorrisonHiker, Dec 30, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Colorado now has a law which makes ICEing (or EVs not charging) illegal if the proper signs have been posted. I would suggest you contact the store management and express your concerns and then request the signs be installed. Once they have been installed, then you would be able to call and report the violation and the car could be ticketed.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. Avid

Avid Member

18. CharleyBC

CharleyBC Active Member

Okay, I’ll ask the dumb question here. Is the Hummer in the photo truly an instance of ICEing? (Notwithstanding the actual ice in the picture.)
    1. I see no sign that says “EVs Only”, though it could be hidden by the vehicle.
    2. It appears to be parked at the back side of the charging unit. It looks to me like the parking spot on the opposite side would be the one facing the EVgo unit’s front where the UI and stuff is.

• Like x 2
  19. TydalForce

TydalForce Member

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

I don't think anyone here think it's right to be an ICE hole or EV hole. Problem is, unless there are consequences (e.g. a reasonable chance of getting a ticket that costs $ or being towed), it's going to keep happening.

I've been on EV forums since 2011. I've heard so many stores like people being told to #%$# off when confronted to "I didn't see anyone charging here, so I'm going to park here." :rolleyes: I'll bet that you that coal rollers would have few or no reservations about being an ICE hole.