Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Icing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK this is not a new thing but it's quite annoying, especially when you need to charge. What to do when you witness it? I've tried reporting but I've yet to see any consequence (ticket, towing) for those individuals.

Attachments

• Icing_122919.jpg
    Icing_122919.jpg
    399.7 KB · Views: 118
While incredibly rude, at least there is an option to charge from the other side. Unless it’s illegal in your jurisdiction, there is little you can do except leave a note... Stuff like this makes me want to respond inappropriately...as a vandal. That said, most ICE drivers only see the parking spots as unused and available...more education is needed. I too have seen this - sometimes when driving my Jeep which as a winch attached to the front bumper.....

• Informative
Reactions: Gordon87
Here we see a hybrid owner pretending they have an EV. For all of the four reasons they might do this, we should pity these people: they are (1) envious of EVs, (2) too air-headed to realize what they're doing, (3) arrogant enough to think rules don't apply to them, or (4) petty enough to intentionally try to annoy people.

If the charge cable is long enough, like it was in this situation, I try to find an available spot nearby and plug in as close as possible.
icing.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: mduflos
While incredibly rude, at least there is an option to charge from the other side. Unless it’s illegal in your jurisdiction, there is little you can do except leave a note... Stuff like this makes me want to respond inappropriately...as a vandal. That said, most ICE drivers only see the parking spots as unused and available...more education is needed. I too have seen this - sometimes when driving my Jeep which as a winch attached to the front bumper.....
The fact that it's a Hummer and that there were plenty of spots around makes me think it was not an accident. Maybe I should start blocking gas stations with my Tesla and see what kind of reaction I get.

Reactions: MrBadger
  • Funny
Reactions: mduflos
IMO, this is the fault of Whole Foods. The sign says, "Preferred" for EVs, not 'EV's only'. So yeah, it sucks and is dis-courteous, but the gas mobile is in his/her rights as per the sign 'rules'.
Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is right. True, the sign could be more strongly worded. But some personal accountability can go a long way rather than relying on companies' and governments' policies to dictate how we behave. There's a lot full of available normal spaces; if someone reads the sign and proceeds to take one of only two EV spots because it says "preferred", that person is a part of the problem.

edit: To clarify, I understand that they are within their "legal rights" to park there, in the same sense that somebody who cuts in a line (or queue) somewhere is usually not breaking any actual laws. Still, people generally don't cut (or tolerate cutting) because it's not fundamentally/morally right.

Last edited:
The fact that it's a Hummer and that there were plenty of spots around makes me think it was not an accident. Maybe I should start blocking gas stations with my Tesla and see what kind of reaction I get.
While it's not admirable to fight antisocial behavior with more of the same, my baser instincts also "come knocking" with this kind of stuff. I've fantasized about pasting a large note to the offender's driver's windshield with flour and water (leaving no permanent damage, but definately a large inconvenience factor), stuffing a potato into the tailpipe,... Just a fantasy.

OK this is not a new thing but it's quite annoying, especially when you need to charge. What to do when you witness it? I've tried reporting but I've yet to see any consequence (ticket, towing) for those individuals.
Colorado now has a law which makes ICEing (or EVs not charging) illegal if the proper signs have been posted. I would suggest you contact the store management and express your concerns and then request the signs be installed. Once they have been installed, then you would be able to call and report the violation and the car could be ticketed.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mduflos and msm859
Okay, I’ll ask the dumb question here. Is the Hummer in the photo truly an instance of ICEing? (Notwithstanding the actual ice in the picture.)
  1. I see no sign that says “EVs Only”, though it could be hidden by the vehicle.
  2. It appears to be parked at the back side of the charging unit. It looks to me like the parking spot on the opposite side would be the one facing the EVgo unit’s front where the UI and stuff is.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is right. True, the sign could be more strongly worded. But some personal accountability can go a long way rather than relying on companies' and governments' policies to dictate how we behave. There's a lot full of available normal spaces; if someone reads the sign and proceeds to take one of only two EV spots because it says "preferred", that person is a part of the problem.

edit: To clarify, I understand that they are within their "legal rights" to park there, in the same sense that somebody who cuts in a line (or queue) somewhere is usually not breaking any actual laws. Still, people generally don't cut (or tolerate cutting) because it's not fundamentally/morally right.
I don't think anyone here think it's right to be an ICE hole or EV hole. Problem is, unless there are consequences (e.g. a reasonable chance of getting a ticket that costs $ or being towed), it's going to keep happening.

I've been on EV forums since 2011. I've heard so many stores like people being told to #%$# off when confronted to "I didn't see anyone charging here, so I'm going to park here." :rolleyes: I'll bet that you that coal rollers would have few or no reservations about being an ICE hole.