TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Icon on Instrument Display that I can't identify

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by robaross, Apr 25, 2018.

1. robaross

robaross P4550

I have a stylized "P" (almost looks italic and 3D) to the right of the rear quarter of the car display on instrument cluster. It is not the drive mode as I am in drive (not parked), at a stop light, left turn lane with traffic to my right, in front, and behind, with "Hill Hold" engaged and foot off brake pedal. It disappears when I start to move. Cannot find it in owners manual. Is it related to autopark? What else could it be?

Attached Files:

2. bugout

bugout Member

Its autopark

3. NOLA_Mike

NOLA_Mike Grouchy

Screenshot 2018-04-25 18.58.47.png

• Informative x 1
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

The problem is that it sometimes appears when there is nowhere near the space needed for parking available. Not sure what the sensors are looking at when this happens so be aware!

5. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Oh yeah, my car likes to offer up autopark into the left turn lane while sitting at a light. Or, my favorite, just as I have finished backing into my parking space, it pops up offering to help me park. I haven't tried to actually use it yet - I am too chicken. Heard it might curb your wheels, etc.

• Like x 1
  6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Never tried it myself either. I usually park so far away from other cars there are no ‘spaces’ for it to see to offer me. :D

I usually forget all about those parking videos I watched before I bought the car!

7. jrad6515

jrad6515 Closed

I have used it a number of times, both parallel and perpendicular parking, and it has been flawless. It is nerve-wracking sometimes though.

8. robaross

robaross P4550

Thanks. In 2 years with my S I have only seen this twice. I'll have to give it a try.

9. vraev

vraev Member

I get it all the time while sitting at the lights. The only time I used autopark was at the supercharger/SC in Toronto. It is fantastic when it does it. Really does a good job..but it is nerve wracking to give up control between two other ~100K worth cars on either side of you. lol

• Like x 1