Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ID.4 Canadian pricing announced, undercuts MY LR AWD by $20k CAD :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've been on the fence between MY and ID4.
MY continues to show poor reliability in cold water, the paint isn't winterproof according to many Canadian owner reports, even with mud flaps on and full PPF done.

ID4 fully loaded is cheaper, a whopping 28700$ CAD less then MY. It's after taxes including both QC province and Federal incentives.
VW Canada has sealed the deal for us, truely a car for the millions.

Bye bye Elon, moving our business to VW Canada.
A troll on a Tesla forum talking bs. Get a life.

ID.4 pricing has been announced for Canada, including a heat pump (unlike for the US market): Volkswagen announces attractive pricing for ID.4 in Canada, arriving later this summer - Drive Tesla Canada

The AWD model starts at $50k vs $70k for an AWD LR MY. Adding the "Statement Package" adds $8k, bringing a loaded ID4 to $58k CAD vs. almost $74 CAD for a MY with 20" wheels (statement package upgrades to dubs) and a non-white paint colour.

They have definitely priced the ID.4 for battle with MY and then some. We finally placed our MY order over this past weekend (LR AWD, MSM, 19" but still considering upgrading to 20", no tow, no FSD). I know these vehicles aren't exactly apples-to-apples, but this does make me second guess myself at least a little. I still prefer and want the MY, but that's a $16k CAD price gap plus tax.

Anyway, just posting my orderer's remorse. Hopefully it passes soon.
Who that’s quite a price difference don’t know how the MY will price when it comes to U.K. but the ID. 4 is not a long range cruiser with a real range of just 200+- miles and the MY is just a blown up model 3 never beautiful but still a great preforming EV. DONT GET 20” unless you want a rock hard ride.

I don't think there's even a comparison between the ID4 and MY because they are different classes of cars. If you are the budget buyer then yes go with whatever that fits the budget. Tesla should come up with a budget car in the near future though. People who are interested in the ID4 should also look into the VW charging network to see how that compares to what Tesla offers.

@chachinggg I don't consider my partner and I budget buyers and we can afford the MY and have one on order. But it's hard not to notice that even ignoring the government incentives, there is a massive price difference between these not entirely dissimilar vehicles. Yes the MY is better in many ways, but is it $5k better? $10k better? $15k better? $20k better? These are subjective things of course and I don't think we're likely to change course but if you're pre-purchase (haven't bought your Tesla yet), you're doing yourself a disservice to not at least consider an alternative like this.

We were considering alternatives that were similarly priced to the MY such as MME Premium AWD with the larger battery, Polestar 2, XC40 Recharge, and still prefer the MY overall (though all have pros and cons). Then the pricing for the ID.4 comes along and I have to say it's hard to ignore. Again, still prefer the MY and likely to stick with it, but what is the opportunity cost of the price difference?

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
The thing is, we shouldn't be thinking about "the VW charging network". The car has a CCS plug, any DC fast charger with a CCS plug will work. Just like ICE cars that can fill up at any gas station, EVs can charge at any charger. Tesla in America is different and I believe it'S unfortunate. Don'T get me wrong, the supercharger network is one of the reasons I went with a Tesla, but I think in the long run it will be a hindrance more than a plus. Look at Europe where a law forced Tesla to go with a CCS (-2) plug. I think that benefits all Tesla owners since they can ALSO charge on other networks, without an adapter.
Granted, non-tesla charging networks still seem lacking, sometimes offline etc. I'm sure they will get better as years go by and more manufacturers bring credible options to the market. The VW ID.4 is a credible option and has a price to stir the market up. I think that's a good thing for everyone.
The other thing is, not everyone goes on 1000 mile trips all the time. Many people just roam around the city with the occasional trip. For those, it's probable that the CCS chargers will work fine. The ID.4 seems to have a very good charging curve, at 125kW for a good SOC range. I think it will do very well.

@chachinggg I don't consider my partner and I budget buyers and we can afford the MY and have one on order. But it's hard not to notice that even ignoring the government incentives, there is a massive price difference between these not entirely dissimilar vehicles. Yes the MY is better in many ways, but is it $5k better? $10k better? $15k better? $20k better? These are subjective things of course and I don't think we're likely to change course but if you're pre-purchase (haven't bought your Tesla yet), you're doing yourself a disservice to not at least consider an alternative like this.

We were considering alternatives that were similarly priced to the MY such as MME Premium AWD with the larger battery, Polestar 2, XC40 Recharge, and still prefer the MY overall (though all have pros and cons). Then the pricing for the ID.4 comes along and I have to say it's hard to ignore. Again, still prefer the MY and likely to stick with it, but what is the opportunity cost of the price difference?
I do agree with you in this sense, I didn't mean to say you were a budget buyer I was just pointing to the fact that a lot of people (I've been there) would be attracted to the price points of these cars and as a result leading to somewhat of an unfair comparison because the MY is priced differently than the ID4. TBH I think both cars are great cars, it's just the MY has more techy perks and if you're that kind of person that might be for you, but if you value more on functionality/price combination then maybe the ID4 is a better pick. I do wanna point out you might want to look into charging infrastructure (how accessible and how easy) and also how easy the model Y infotainment system (the computer) works compared to the ID4 (I actually looked up numerous youtube videos on the ID4 just to see how they compare). This is just my 2 cents, good luck with your future purchase!

Comes with rear drum brakes thought
Probably for better rust resistance and lower maintenance. Stopping power in an EV with regen braking is fairly irrelevant generally, and same with brake feel (especially in the age of blended braking). Not to mention the painful pad replacements are likely very rare in an EV. I still wouldn't want drum brakes, but I can see the upsides in a commuter EV.

I considered the ID.4 as I was saving up to get the Y. It came down to range and charging speed. According to ABRP, in winter weather I should be able to do a round trip to visit my parents and brother and spend a total of 2 hours (along the way, not including time at their houses) charging by following the most logical roads with the Y. With the ID.4, it's closer to 6 hours of charge time, with some pretty extreme detours to get to chargers.

You were really struggling with trying to justify it, huh? :rolleyes:

It's easier just to say "I can't afford the Tesla or Audi" and people might actually believe you.

Yes, but even some basic features are missing in my M3..... (I know they've updated it now to have heated steering wheel, power trunk, etc) The ID4 all wheel drive has basically everything (no heated back seats) including a hitch for $50k CAD... i don't think the MY dual motor is worth the $20k extra, UNLESS Tesla lower their MY price to $60k CAD which more in line with the actual forex rate from USD to CAD. Then, I will choose a Tesla over a Voltswagen...

• Disagree
@BreatheEasier not sure about US pricing, but it has been announced for Canada -- a hair under $45k CAD for the RWD and a hair under $50k for the AWD. In Canada, so far, those are the only two trim levels available, and both come with the larger 82/77kWh battery:

View attachment 651842

@Dipthong yes, or at least force them to revisit the Canadian pricing. As noted in a few threads in the Canada are of TMC, we pay a large premium vs. our American friends even after accounting for currency conversion at current rates.

Similar size battery to MY, but 20% less range and slower/more sluggish performance = inefficiency!

@alesgaroth , if I am not mistaken ABRP might have wrong estimates for the ID.4 at the moment. I think that's what Bjorn Nyland was saying on youtube? The car might just be too new to have good stats. Look at his video (from today) on the 1000km test with the ID.4. You might be surprised of the results.
Hunh, his video says 82kwh battery and ABRP has an option for a 75kwh battery, nothing about a bigger one. That may be some of it. It also has to do with where I'm going. There's not a lot of good charging options along the highway toward their houses. It's being built up, but will be a few years likely. I don't expect to get something as good as Bjorn Nyland got driving in Europe.

I think the 82kWh battery has 77kWh usable... Anyway. Its consumption is pretty high indeed, and our charger networks are not as good as Bjorn' region, you're right. Here the CCS chargers are 50kW so it would definitely be slow. Still, Bjorn's 1000km test shows that it has potential, once the charging networks step up.

I was showing my wife the ID4 last night after reading through this thread yesterday.
I'm convinced they made the front dash as ugly as possible on purpose to protect the other sub-brand high end EVs 🤣

Especially this angle... atrocious..

29beb009a57d6c7bc4175eec8f02756c.jpeg

I think the 82kWh battery has 77kWh usable... Anyway. Its consumption is pretty high indeed, and our charger networks are not as good as Bjorn' region, you're right. Here the CCS chargers are 50kW so it would definitely be slow. Still, Bjorn's 1000km test shows that it has potential, once the charging networks step up.
I've seen 350kW Chargers in Quebec. Just like the many 75kW Tesla Chargers you'll need to wait for the CCS ones to be upgraded to 350.

You were really struggling with trying to justify it, huh? :rolleyes:

It's easier just to say "I can't afford the Tesla or Audi" and people might actually believe you.
American, what are you even talking about? Do you know how to read? I have 2 M3 but looking to upgrade to one of them to a MY. I'm not doing so yet because it is the not biggest bang for the buck in CANADA... Fyi, this is Canadian thread talking about pricing in Canada..

I am surprised at the ID.4 having rear drum brakes. Are there other cars in this price range with drum brakes? I had drum brakes in the first 10-12 years of my owning cars. My first, in 1970, the Fiat 124 Spyder, lost braking going down a small mountain; I stopped with downshifting and the emergency brake. I've never had fade with disc brakes in my M3 or any other car. I live in the Northeast where the salt is not spared and have not had disc damage from that. I don't see the drum brake as saving a lot of money in maintenance-and what do you have to do to check the sealed unit? They probably spent a lot to develop it and I am not sure why. Also, the mileage rating of 250 is too low for my driving habits.

ID4 Nice family CUV with VW fit and finish .. however, Canada as well as the US still lags behind in providing long distance charging
services that are reliable and widely available for EV's. The ID4 is not designed for sporty driving and as such has much slower acceleration
times then Tesla and many other EV's. I believe one review reported around 8 seconds 0-60. In today's aggressive driving world, that
can be dangerous when trying to merge onto a highway or when trying to avoid a problem ahead.
It's a nice car, software is still very buggy according to reviews but will eventually get better. Sometimes one has to consider more then
the price of a vehicle when making their choice. There are day to day driving concerns that need to be taken into account.
If the ID4 meets all those concerns then have at it. I still smile everyday when I drive my 2015 Tesla Model S, even with all of it's little
fit and finish imperfections, it's like climbing into a cockpit of a jet daily and I'm no spring chicken.

P.S. regarding the rear drum brakes... they're VW's way of providing the best regen according to several reviews.