Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ID.4 Canadian pricing announced, undercuts MY LR AWD by $20k CAD :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was showing my wife the ID4 last night after reading through this thread yesterday.
I'm convinced they made the front dash as ugly as possible on purpose to protect the other sub-brand high end EVs 🤣

Especially this angle... atrocious..

29beb009a57d6c7bc4175eec8f02756c.jpeg
LOL that's what I thought as well when I looked up youtube videos on the ID4 because I did want to see a fair comparison with the Y. However, I think the color combinations would look nicer in the white dash/steering wheel (Or is this white already???). That being said, the infotainment system is one thing I thought would be a deal breaker because the tech is just too old for my liking. But in all fairness, it's still a decent EV suv for its price and functionality (if you don't care about the looks, tech, fsd, etc.) . The thing is once you're addicted to enhanced autopilot (like me) and later on FSD I don't think you'd wanna go back to this.

Reactions: SmartElectric
No one has mentioned the Statement Package at $8,000CD that brings the AWD Pro closer to Tesla's features that are standard in all Model Ys. So $58,000CD is closer for comparing prices. Does that affect the limit of $55,000CD for "higher trims?
Yes, if you got the statement package with the AWD you would not qualify for the izev program. That said, you'd still be saving 12k-16k (white paint and geminis would be 12k diff and any colour but red and induction wheels would be 16k) plus tax even without any rebate programs vs a LR AWD MY.

P.S. regarding the rear drum brakes... they're VW's way of providing the best regen according to several reviews.
Thank you for pointing that out which implied to me that the driven wheels are at the back. After much searching on the VW site I found the technical specs where they say it is REAR WHEEL DRIVE! Sorry for the emphasis, but the last rear wheel drive car I bought was in 1973 and it was a Dodge Dart Swinger! Who wants to drive a sedan or SUV in the snow or heavy rain with rear wheel drive-not me. (Sports cars may be a different category, but this is marketed as a family car). The site hides this in the technical specs which are not easy to find and I saw no mention of it elsewhere. They are on the reservation page if you click "see all" under the Pro Trim level. I think they are hiding it. With Canada's snow, I think people there would be leary of rear wheel drive, as I am in NJ. To get memory seats you have to get an upgrade package. I wanted to download an owner's manual, but you need a VIN to do that, whereas many manufacturers, including Tesla, make it freely available. This is not a car I would recommend to people taking long trips or where there is snow or heavy rain. Sorry, VW.

@Andy7 it's initially only available ina rear-wheel drive but an all-wheel drive option is available later this year. This is not unlike other competitors like the Mach-E and in theory the Model Y since the sort-of-available Standard Range Model Y is real-wheel drive. The SR+ Model 3 is as well.

I should add: even the AWD Model Y and 3 are rear-wheel biased.

We've been on the fence between MY and ID4.
MY continues to show poor reliability in cold water, the paint isn't winterproof according to many Canadian owner reports, even with mud flaps on and full PPF done.

ID4 fully loaded is cheaper, a whopping 28700$ CAD less then MY. It's after taxes including both QC province and Federal incentives.
VW Canada has sealed the deal for us, truely a car for the millions.

Bye bye Elon, moving our business to VW Canada.
I’m not sure what you mean by poor reliability, and and I’ve never heard of winter proof paint. If you mean paint chips on the rocker, the mud flaps solve that problem if you install them.
If you’re convincing yourself on VW, or you just prefer VW, that’s great, but why dramatize on winter paint, and poor winter reliability fluff to convince who ?

@Andy7 it's initially only available ina rear-wheel drive but an all-wheel drive option is available later this year. This is not unlike other competitors like the Mach-E and in theory the Model Y since the sort-of-available Standard Range Model Y is real-wheel drive. The SR+ Model 3 is as well.

I should add: even the AWD Model Y and 3 are rear-wheel biased.
Yes, and the Model 3 is also available as a rear wheel drive, but it is rare to see one in the Northeast. I can't see the RWD M3 being a big seller in most of Canada either, unless it is a second car kept for fair weather. I know the AWD ID.4 is supposed to be coming, but there are no mileage figures that I could see for the ID.4 AWD, and the RWD is not certified yet either.

• Disagree
The model 3 SR+ is extremely popular in Quebec, where it snows A LOT. The car's traction and stability control systems are top notch, you will not spin the car whatever you do, and i haven't heard of people getting stuck in normal situations. Everyone that has one around here is very satisfied, even in winter.
As someone said, even my awd is rear biased, with the front only used when i accelerate hard or when the back slips. I would prefer it full time but i have to say it works well.
These are not your grandfather's rwd that couldn't be driven in snow... I would bet yhe VW's traction and stability systems are "on par".

Thanks for your information and I stand corrected about the popularity in of RWD in Canada. Since I am the grandfather who had those RWD cars, I am biased to having AWD. Some of my AWD cars, such as the Infiniti G35x were also rear wheel biased, unless the front was needed, and the G35x in particular was quite good in the snow, and in dry conditions. I'm still going to be looking for AWD in my cars in the future, unless I can personally try a RWD version in snow.

Yes, and the Model 3 is also available as a rear wheel drive, but it is rare to see one in the Northeast. I can't see the RWD M3 being a big seller in most of Canada either, unless it is a second car kept for fair weather. I know the AWD ID.4 is supposed to be coming, but there are no mileage figures that I could see for the ID.4 AWD, and the RWD is not certified yet either.
I’ve had my RWD M3 for three winters now (eastern Ontario). No issues, repeat no issues driving my car in the winter with slush or snow or ice as I have a set of winter tires. In fact, it has proved to be the most stable vehicle I have ever driven in the winter. IMO AWD is a marketing ploy, not a real need.

@navguy12 , you're pushing it a bit. Look at various videos that test awd and think about how your rwd would behave in those situations. Rwd, and fwd, have gotten better with software systems. An awd is still better at putting more power to the ground and getting out of difficult, and somewhat rare situations. Is it mandatory in winter, snow and ice? Not anymore, on that I agree.

@navguy12 , you're pushing it a bit. Look at various videos that test awd and think about how your rwd would behave in those situations. Rwd, and fwd, have gotten better with software systems. An awd is still better at putting more power to the ground and getting out of difficult, and somewhat rare situations. Is it mandatory in winter, snow and ice? Not anymore, on that I agree.
The best way to drive in the winter is in a manner that avoids needing all wheel drive in the first place, but I'm sure this is nothing new to anyone with years of experience driving in winter conditions.

The first time I passed an 18 wheeler on a limited access freeway under rutted slushy conditions with my TM3, my usual heavy hand on the steering wheel to cross into other tire ruts in a controlled manner proved superfluous.

It was a pleasant surprise, after driving RWD 70s and 80s and front wheel drive 90s and 00s cars in winter conditions.

@BigTrailer , I'm mostly saying the same thing. AWD isn't mandatory. If you live in an area where temperature is frequently under 7C (the temperature at which summer tires become hard as rock) or sees snow/ice and you don't use snow tires, I think you're just asking for trouble. They made them mandatory in Quebec during winter because too many people were seemingly too dumb to understand.
As for AWD drivers in ditches, yeah, some people get a false feeling of security. AWD gets you going faster, it only helps turning if you're a better driver, and it absolutely does NOT help you stop ;)

@GrandEnigma like I said, it's not apples to apples. That said, the 7.6 seconds time is the RWD single-motor ID4 (currently $45k CAD) and 4.2 seconds you quote is from the dual-motor performance MY (currently $84k CAD--not far from twice the price). That said, the 7.6 seconds time is the RWD single-motor ID4 (currently $45k CAD) and 4.2 seconds you quote is from the dual-motor performance MY (currently $70k CAD + 2k USD acceleration boost, guessing around $2500-3000 CAD but can't currently check). So yes it's a bit like an M3 to a Civic but that's kind of the point--there is now more than ever some actual usable alternatives to M3 & MY and not everyone needs an M3.
This comparison should be more like ID4 vs Chevrolet Bolt EV. There is no comparison with the Model Y or even the Model 3 ... YET !