Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ID.4 Canadian pricing announced, undercuts MY LR AWD by $20k CAD :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sandy is good at disassembling car and giving it's opinion on that. It is less so for riding evaluation... it shows that he's old. If I put my father in a Tesla, he won't be able to put it in drive or park or whatever... That's probably the worst video Sandy put out to date.
Hey, wait a sec! I'm old enough to be your father (I think) and I have no more trouble with my M3 than I do with my Subaru Ascent! I'm not blaming it on his age, I'm blaming the car (which I have not driven). Why should it be a struggle to get the map up? Do you have to do that maneuver every time you drive to get the regenerative braking to work?

Interesting thread. A few comments...

I think VW will be very disappointed if people are cross-shopping the ID.4 against other EV's. They want people to cross-shop it against RAV4, CRV, Escape, etc. And they designed it to make it comfortable for people coming from an ICE vehicle - easy to transition to. The difficulty in charging is kind of mind-boggling but I suspect it will get better.

I would probably not be driving an EV if Tesla didn't exist. The combination of style, technology, looks, driving experience and ease of charging is what sold me on Tesla. I did test-drive a Polestar 2 and liked it but wouldn't buy it. I also previewed a MME in the flesh but wouldn't buy it. They weren't different enough for me and don't have the 'cool' factor.

The discussion on driving in the winter with RWD were interesting. I drove a Volvo 240 Turbo brick when I lived in MA and Upstate NY - winters are fairly severe there. With snows all around, that was probably the 2nd best car I ever owned for driving in snowy conditions. Tied for first are my wife's MINI Cooper and my old '82 Dodge Colt - both FWD with manual transmissions. My Audi A4 quattro was pretty good too but I never put snows on it, so the wide all-season tires held it back. But we don't get a lot of snow here in NJ.

I don't know if it's a VW thing, but it's no different in a Audi gasser. The UI is so archaic compared to my Tesla.

Hey, wait a sec! I'm old enough to be your father (I think) and I have no more trouble with my M3 than I do with my Subaru Ascent! I'm not blaming it on his age, I'm blaming the car (which I have not driven). Why should it be a struggle to get the map up? Do you have to do that maneuver every time you drive to get the regenerative braking to work?

Reactions: Andy7
*Bump.* Any ID.4 owners here? Any reports of the ownership experience so far?

I've now owned an ID.4 Pro RWD, Model Y LR with Inductions, and Mach-E Premium RWD Standard Range in the span of 4 months... lol

The ID.4 has the softest most pleasant ride for long-road trips. Both the Model Y and MME are harsh compared to it. Minor understeer and body roll but it's truly a family SUV with plenty of cargo space not hampered with a sloped hatch like the Mach-E and Model Y. The Infotainment is complete garbage but if you limit your use to SiriusXM and CarPlay w/ Google Maps it could be workable.

However, I encountered an electrical shutdown and many others have too:

VW has a winner if the can fix their electrical reliability issues. I just don't think they can or will in 2022... seems like a model refresh task.

Yes I heard that you need to double click into D every time you drive to get regen... probably something they can fix in software update

It's B-mode. D is the free-rolling mode.

The US version of the ID.4 doesn't even have auto-hold so on inclines my ID.4 would roll backwards slightly. Europe gets the HUD and auto-hold.

There's not much I miss about the ID.4 other than the gentle ride and the insane turning radius (the Model Y feels like a minivan in comparison). Wireless charging never worked. Lane Keep Assist was a broken mess and had to be turned off every new drive. And every day was a new annoying glitch in the infotainment or operation... My Model Y- the worst thing that ever happened? Outdated maps that lead me to an exit and quick interstate return. I had one emergency lane keep error in an empty parking lot but that's because I wasn't following any lines... lol. Tesla's systems are rock solid compared to the ID.4

The Mach-E is infinitely better than the ID.4 but I've spoken to other ID.4 drivers at EA charging stations and we all agree the Mach-E has a harsh ride (about the same as the Model Y).

• Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Thanks for the updates! Interesting. I had thought that the ID.4 would be my second choice behind my current Tesla (Model 3), although that is probably not all that practically relevant to me because some of us don't switch our vehicles every few months, or have any more than one vehicle at one time!! :) (Though I am amazed how many people on these threads do switch often and/or have numerous different 'rides'!)

I am not sure that I would like the softer suspension on the ID.4. Suspension firmness is definitely a matter of personal taste, and my own taste is for quite firm. I have driven the Model Y and find that it is similar to my Model 3, which is to say, for me, pretty much perfect.

Beyond that, the ID.4 gives the impression of having a bit more of a 'standard vehicle' look and feel to it, which otherwise might tempt me. Practical and straightforward. It does seem though that VW needs to iron out some early EV development problems...as Tesla has had to do, though Tesla has had more time to do it and is further along in the process.

Is the range ok? The rated range is a bit low, but I have seen some testing indicating that real-world range is not bad. That said, I never know whether that testing is to be trusted.

Anyway, I am very interested to see what VW does next. More than any other legacy manufacturer, they seem absolutely committed right now to the move to electric vehicles.

Reactions: voxel
I am not sure that I would like the softer suspension on the ID.4. Suspension firmness is definitely a matter of personal taste, and my own taste is for quite firm. I have driven the Model Y and find that it is similar to my Model 3, which is to say, for me, pretty much perfect.
My fav EV is the Model 3 SR+ followed by the Mach-E RWD Standard. Both are light, nimble, quick cars that you can weave between traffic without a care. When I talk about suspension.. the ID.4 runs over potholes like they don't exist. Which isn't entirely true for the Y or Mach-E. I've joked it's a couch on wheels (like a Crown Vic). It's a good setup for long 8-16 hour road trips... for city driving I don't think it matters. I prefer a firm suspension too but there is a case for it for family journeys. The Mach-E is notorious for making rear passengers puke from the bumpiness.

The Model Y doesn't drive or handle like the Model 3... it's subtle differences. It's heavier, I feel the Gs in the higher seating position, the rear visibility is poor. Great car. Just not my fav.

Yes, the ID.4 is very traditional. No giant screen in the middle, no frunk, family SUV acceleration (sloooow), lots of rear passenger space, it has a flat top (more usable storage) and a rear-wiper. I've called it a RAV4 for new EV buyers.