Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ID.4 Canadian pricing announced, undercuts MY LR AWD by $20k CAD :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ID.4 pricing has been announced for Canada, including a heat pump (unlike for the US market): Volkswagen announces attractive pricing for ID.4 in Canada, arriving later this summer - Drive Tesla Canada

The AWD model starts at $50k vs $70k for an AWD LR MY. Adding the "Statement Package" adds $8k, bringing a loaded ID4 to $58k CAD vs. almost $74 CAD for a MY with 20" wheels (statement package upgrades to dubs) and a non-white paint colour.

They have definitely priced the ID.4 for battle with MY and then some. We finally placed our MY order over this past weekend (LR AWD, MSM, 19" but still considering upgrading to 20", no tow, no FSD). I know these vehicles aren't exactly apples-to-apples, but this does make me second guess myself at least a little. I still prefer and want the MY, but that's a $16k CAD price gap plus tax.

Anyway, just posting my orderer's remorse. Hopefully it passes soon.

Last edited:
The stopping distance is almost the same, though, right? I'm not sure that this is significant, even though it is intuitively wrong.

Although the Tesla has vastly higher performance, which really puts it in a different class altogether.
My mechanic routinely complains that in the salty north we should all have rear drum brakes....

We also don't know what the AWD ID4 will cost, so I think this is better compared to the SR MY vs. the LR.

@BreatheEasier not sure about US pricing, but it has been announced for Canada -- a hair under $45k CAD for the RWD and a hair under $50k for the AWD. In Canada, so far, those are the only two trim levels available, and both come with the larger 82/77kWh battery:

1617830359320.png

This is good news. Maybe it will force Tesla to price their vehicles more competitively in Canada. More choice is good for buyers.

@Dipthong yes, or at least force them to revisit the Canadian pricing. As noted in a few threads in the Canada are of TMC, we pay a large premium vs. our American friends even after accounting for currency conversion at current rates.

This is like comparing a BMW M3 to a Honda Civic. They are not the same vehicle. Meme things aside, the ID4 does 0-60 in 7.6 sec vs 4.2 sec of the MY.

@GrandEnigma like I said, it's not apples to apples. That said, the 7.6 seconds time is the RWD single-motor ID4 (currently $45k CAD) and 4.2 seconds you quote is from the dual-motor performance MY (currently $84k CAD--not far from twice the price). That said, the 7.6 seconds time is the RWD single-motor ID4 (currently $45k CAD) and 4.2 seconds you quote is from the dual-motor performance MY (currently $70k CAD + 2k USD acceleration boost, guessing around $2500-3000 CAD but can't currently check). So yes it's a bit like an M3 to a Civic but that's kind of the point--there is now more than ever some actual usable alternatives to M3 & MY and not everyone needs an M3.

Last edited:
@GrandEnigma like I said, it's not apples to apples. That said, the 7.6 seconds time is the RWD single-motor ID4 (currently $45k CAD) and 4.2 seconds you quote is from the dual-motor performance MY (currently $84k CAD--not far from twice the price). So yes it's a bit like an M3 to a Civic but that's kind of the point--there is now more than ever some actual usable alternatives to M3 & MY and not everyone needs an M3.
I think 4.2 is from the regular awd with performance boost.

You are correct, I hadn't looked at the ID4 options on the US VW site in a while, but they now list the ID4 Pro S AWD with the standard 19" wheel option in dark blue (which I would choose) for $48,175 US + dealer fees (in my area, VW dealers fees are in the $699-$899 range). Destination charges seem to be included. A new MY LR with 19" wheels + destination in blue is $52,190 US. So prices in the US aren't too far apart between the 2 vehicles, IMO.

I like what VW is doing, frankly, and hope they keep it up. I've been a long-time VW fan, having owned 60+ VWs over a 25+ year span, I'd love to jump on their bandwagon. I generally like the ID4, and I don't care that my MY is much faster or sportier, but for my family, the ID4 simply doesn't have enough capacity without a frunk, nor is the back cargo area deep enough, and do I want to concern myself with range or figuring out charging along my long-trip routes. I regularly take 150 and 175 mile one-way trips in my LR, and even in winter temps in the 20 deg F range, I'm still able to get point-to-point with 70% highway with at least 60 miles remaining or 140 miles average remaining during the summer when I get to my destination, which is more than acceptable to me. Since purchase last June, I've averaged 259 Wh/Mi over 7500 miles, which I'm happy with. If I need it, there are several 8-12 bay supercharger locations along my route and at my destinations, also, including 250kW versions, which are insanely convenient and I've had no issues with broken chargers to date. Coming from two BMW PHEVs prior, it seemed like 50% of the time, L2 chargers were broken, or I didn't have the right app/card, or the parking spots were ICE'd. I've seen very view L3 chargers, and most of the ones I've seen anywhere along my highway trips are 50kW.

Having said that, given a 2-year horizon, I'm very interested in the ID.Buzz (or whatever they are going to call it), and most likely purchase one if VW follows through with their promise to produce. I look forward to replacing my 20-year-old Westfalia with the ID.Buzz, but I realistically don't expect that happening to mid/late 2023 at the earliest. I think VW will have a considerable amount of growing pains to get through over the next 2 years with production, software and supply chain challenges.

We've been on the fence between MY and ID4.
MY continues to show poor reliability in cold water, the paint isn't winterproof according to many Canadian owner reports, even with mud flaps on and full PPF done.

ID4 fully loaded is cheaper, a whopping 28700$ CAD less then MY. It's after taxes including both QC province and Federal incentives.
VW Canada has sealed the deal for us, truely a car for the millions.

Bye bye Elon, moving our business to VW Canada.

Last edited: