Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ID.4 Canadian pricing announced, undercuts MY LR AWD by $20k CAD :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It also has something that any longer term cold weather EV owner appreciates. A heated front window, so you can kill the heat in the winter and still see out the window!

One thing that is interesting that I'm finding - the US version doesn't have a heat pump? Looks like the CA and European versions do. Unbelieveable. And for anyone who believes that the heat pump doesn't matter, they don't have real-world experience. The trips I mentioned above, people I know with M3s are pulling much higher Wh/Mi in the same temps over the same distances/routes that I'm pulling in my MY in 20 degree F weather, which makes a huge difference whether I can get to my destination without having to stop and charge. If the US version doesn't have a heat pump, then the prices I quoted above don't tell the entire story at all, and we are not comparing apples-to-apples.

Tesla could fix this pretty quickly but chooses not to. Model Y pricing hasn't reflected how the CAD has appreciated against the USD in the past year. I agree the ID4 looks compelling and will hold off on a Model Y purchase until something changes.

The "tl;dw" summary:

• Supercharging is not "plug-and-play"
  • Atrocious route planning
  • No heat pump
  • Lacking extended storage (no frunk, wasted space in hatch)
  • No one-pedal driving (minimal regeneration options)

• Plug and play and route planning are probably symptomatic of early software and are likely fixable; that's an assumption, of course
  • No heat pump in US is unfortunate, particularly for more northern states; fortunately for us canucks, they've included one here (just like in Europe)
  • Storage isn't optimal indeed; also, since the frunk in Teslas gives such a great crumple-zone, will the ID.4 be less safe for frontal collisions? Possibly?
  • They do offer a second driving mode with some regen and blended breaking. Kyle from Out of Spec Motoring/Reviews went into quite a lot of detail on the breaking and driving experience here:

Looks like ID4 is an excellent option for trading in my wife's M3 SR+ since MY's pricing is too high IMO and the trade in value is horrible. I'm sure VW will be happy to take our M3 for a fair trade in price just to lure us in!

@dj_gon agreed. Supposedly the official line from VM is that they are not trying to steal Tesla sales with the ID.4 but rather sales of ICE or PHEV competitors in the crossover space. That said, yes I'm sure they'd be pretty happy to sell you one :)

Yup. Not even remotely the same class of vehicle.

Some VW brands from high performance (and price) to low:
Porsche -- Audi -- VW
Yes, but even some basic features are missing in my M3..... (I know they've updated it now to have heated steering wheel, power trunk, etc) The ID4 all wheel drive has basically everything (no heated back seats) including a hitch for $50k CAD... i don't think the MY dual motor is worth the $20k extra, UNLESS Tesla lower their MY price to $60k CAD which more in line with the actual forex rate from USD to CAD. Then, I will choose a Tesla over a Voltswagen...

There's a nice interview on the Out of Spec Reviews channel on youtube with the guy at VW that's responsible for EVs in USA. I believe the decision to not put a heatpump in the US model was in order to keep the costs reasonable to get a good price point. They chose to give free charging instead, that sort of thing, that we might not get in Canada? Anyway, listen to the interview, it'll help understand the decisions they took there.

took a test drive of the id4 yesterday. Well built car; actually very pleasantly surprised.. (this coming from a guy with 3 Tesla's and more on the way). Discussed my thoughts with wife, after I stopped talking, she looked at me and said, "but can they use Superchargers?".. folks are realizing the benefits of the supercharger network, and it's a rough proposition to spend 50k for something that can't leave town

The stopping distance is almost the same, though, right?

My Smart ED is rear drum brakes, given the 50 kW of regenerative breaking for a very light car, this hasn't been an issue.

Whereas I routinely "clean" (repeated heavy braking from speed) our Model S disk brakes in winter because there are times when the winter corrosion in Canada due to salt and melt water really rusts up the disks. Before someone calls me out for complaining or posting a concern (how DARE I?!), I am VERY happy with our 2013 Tesla brakes, they are going fine, 6 winters since they were replaced under warranty by Tesla in 2015 with the "revised winter package" pad and rotors.

From what I've read and seen VW said they were targeting the RAV4 and CRV crowd with the ID.4 pricing. But I agree with our Canadian Tesla being overpriced compared to US pricing. Still hoping they fix that price difference soon.
I've done a few road trips Calgary-Vancouver and Calgary-Edmonton with the CCS charged Bolt. Reminds me of the days before we had the Supercharger network on those routes. Takes planning and much longer trip times. Really sucks when the single CCS I need is plugged into a car that is full and the owner has decided to go for a walk about town. If I get an ID.4 it will be a city car like the Bolt until we get more level 3 chargers in Canada.
The only major negative for me that I've seen reported so far is the slow UI on the centre screen. Reminds me of the early Windows Mobile phones I had. Swipe and swipe with no response.

I don't think there's even a comparison between the ID4 and MY because they are different classes of cars. If you are the budget buyer then yes go with whatever that fits the budget. Tesla should come up with a budget car in the near future though. People who are interested in the ID4 should also look into the VW charging network to see how that compares to what Tesla offers.

An important note is that at this price, it is admissible for the canadian incentive (5000 CAD) and also the quebec incentive(8000 CAD) which make it a lot more tempting than the MY that is not admissible for any of those at the current price. (incentives are applied after taxes so it end up being around 11300 CAD)

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
We've been on the fence between MY and ID4.
MY continues to show poor reliability in cold water, the paint isn't winterproof according to many Canadian owner reports, even with mud flaps on and full PPF done.

ID4 fully loaded is cheaper, a whopping 28700$ CAD less then MY. It's after taxes including both QC province and Federal incentives.
VW Canada has sealed the deal for us, truely a car for the millions.

Bye bye Elon, moving our business to VW Canada.
I am a MY owner and I've had no reliability issue with the MY so far. The car does get dirty easily in the winter but that's with white cars in general anyway. Once you've driven the MY for an extended period of time I hardly think there's another vehicle that could compare (unless you're paying for a car with a much higher price tag).

Last edited: