Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

i'd appreciate some help - please review my 'hand-out' card to give to people who ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've written a 'hand-out' postcard to give to folks who stop me on the street.
Can I get some review of this card, and some feedback?

David

TeslaCard1.jpg

-Exotic-car fast, to me, means 250mph top speed. I'd say "quicker than a Porsche yet can seat up to 7"(this will get them to go look up the details).
-The cubic feet of space means nothing without reference. Something like "as much storage as a Honda Odyssey" maybe. I have no idea how the two compare.
-Don't forget you get all this and 89mpge.
-fill up at home
-Even Toyota manufactures in the US so I'd make it a little more clear that it is an American company.
Just my $.02

-Exotic-car fast, to me, means 250mph top speed. I'd say "quicker than a Porsche yet can seat up to 7"(this will get them to go look up the details).
-The cubic feet of space means nothing without reference. Something like "as much storage as a Honda Odyssey" maybe. I have no idea how the two compare.
-Don't forget you get all this and 89mpge.
-fill up at home
-Even Toyota manufactures in the US so I'd make it a little more clear that it is an American company.
Just my $.02

Thank you, bleeds. Some good points there... will modify.
David

Very Nice!! Love it. Lets see: kill the 5-7 hour charge line, lets just have that as a talking point. Its fast, yes, but how about 0-60 in 5.x (4.4 w performance model.).

Maybe two sided? So what would you put on the other side. The Screen with NAV and Radio, the dash screen, Remote feature updates over the web, phone app, Best aero factor (.42 is it?), Others?

Thanks, great idea!

Very nice David. Here's one I heard the other day that you might consider. The real answer to "how long does it take to charge it?" is "a few seconds." A little tricky maybe, but while the car takes a few hours- you just plugged it in & went into the house! A few seconds, and never a gas station. Beautiful. ML

Nice job, David. As you may have seen, I did a similar card with a more generalized approach...

Time Saving Model S Info Cards

Were you planning to print something on the back side? Postcard printing companies usually print the back (in black ink only) at no additional charge. Perhaps your battery options table should be printed on the back. That way it could be larger.

I'm not sure you'd want to include your email address if you're handing these out in public. Just a thought.

Nice job, David. As you may have seen, I did a similar card with a more generalized approach...

Time Saving Model S Info Cards

Were you planning to print something on the back side? Postcard printing companies usually print the back (in black ink only) at no additional charge. Perhaps your battery options table should be printed on the back. That way it could be larger.

I'm not sure you'd want to include your email address if you're handing these out in public. Just a thought.

Yes I'm considering two-sided printing as its very inexpensive to add that. I'm also considering doing a card with my address and removing the address, as you said.

The battery table comes out fine, but is just not showing correctly in the jpg I generated.

These are all great suggestions.

David

If you have a local EV Association (like we in the Niagara to Toronto region), you might want to consider putting the website contact info on the reverse of the card...then the card can also act as an invite to EV owners & enthusiasts who might want to join...

Very nice. Might be good to also include a QR code linked to the site if possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry I'm slow... My eyes didn't catch the QR at first review... Still very nice!

Very Nice. Are you offering these for sale?

Supercharger access is included with 85 kWh, optional with 60 kWh (unless one got in early like we did) and not currently available on the 40 kWh configuration.

Here's a sheet I used for my (former) two LEAF's. Some of the references are local, but for most electric vehicles, that is most appropriate, since they rarely leave their 100 mile circle:

Nissan LEAF Electric Car
• Not a hybrid; powered 100% by electricity that is mostly made in USA, not in the Middle East. Almost no electricity is produced from oil in the USA, and no electricity comes from outside North America. No soldier ever died defending electricity. There are no coal mines in California, where most electricity is from natural gas
• There is no gasoline motor; no smog checks, no oil changes, no camshaft belts, no tune-ups, no air and oil filters, no oil drips on the driveway/garage. The Chevrolet Volt has and uses a gasoline motor in addition to the electric motor, as does a Toyota Prius. Other pure electric cars are Coda, Tesla, Ford Focus EV, Toyota Rav4 EV and Honda Fit EV. Coming next year is Chevrolet Spark and BMW i3.
• Zero tailpipe emissions, and zero emissions from electricity produced by geothermal, solar, wind, and hydro (dam) power, and even nuclear.
• 70 to 80 mile range, up to 100 miles with very careful driving (note: range will reduce with age, miles, and exposure to high temperatures)
• 94 mph top speed
• Lithium Manganese battery has a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty
o No “battery acid” in 24kWh battery pack
o Power does not taper off as battery gets lower in energy
o Everything inside is recyclable
• The car’s charger draws about 3.8 kW; about the same as an electric clothes dryer
• Charging is normally done overnight, just like plugging in your cell phone. It can be charged in 30 to 50 minutes with “gas station” type commercial chargers using 480 volts / 3 phase power
• Highest rated 5 star crash test (intermediate size car) by US government
• The car is equipped with a noise maker so that pedestrians can hear it coming. Yes, it’s that quiet.
• COSTS:
o Purchase is $35,000 to $40,000, a lease is about $250 - $400 per month (for 2013, a lower priced model is available at $28,800 or $199 lease)
o $2 to $4 to "fill up" the battery with electricity overnight at your house
o 3 cents per mile energy cost (4 miles per kWh @ $0.12 each)
• It costs 20 cents per mile for 20mpg gas car at $4 gallon for gas
• Toyota Prius hybrid car costs 8 cents per mile (about 250% more)
• Made in Japan by Nissan
o To be built in Smyrna, Tennessee, USA in 2013, in America's largest car plant. Capacity of the plant, 550,000 units per year with 150,000 LEAFs
o The batteries will be made in a separate factory in Tennessee, the largest battery factory in North America with 200,000 battery capacity per year
• Eligible for California HOV (Car Pool Lane) until January 2015

Fun Gasoline Facts:

• To extract and refine one gallon of gasoline takes about 6 kWh of energy. That much electrical power can power the Nissan LEAF about 24 miles.
• In 2010, the U.S. imported oil from Mexico (11%) and from Canada (21%), however, 42% comes from OPEC.
• Only about 25% of the energy of gasoline is used to propel a car. The other 75% of the energy is wasted as heat, in addition to the energy to extract, transport and refine.

Popular Misconceptions:

1. Electricity is produced from coal: Yes, it is in much of the USA; about 45%, but not in San Diego. Presently SDG&E has only one contract for energy that comes from coal, and it accounts for just 3% overall energy. The contract will sunset in 2013, at which time SDG&E will have no direct coal-sourced supplies. SDG&E is building a 500kV line called the Sunrise Powerlink, a 120-mile line intended to carry renewable energy (solar, wind, etc) from the Imperial Valley to San Diego. The line is expected to be in service in 2012. In addition, a significant percentage of LEAF owners have solar panels at home.

2) Electric car batteries will fill up landfills with toxic waste: 94% of lead-acid batteries that EVERY gas car has are recycled and there is no reason that Li-ion batteries cannot be recycled as well. Unlike lead-acid batteries, in addition to recycling, a secondary market will be created for used electric vehicle batteries to provide residential and commercial electricity during peak demand periods.

3) Batteries cost too much: Yes, they are very expensive. But, like any emerging technology, the cost is coming down with widespread adoption, like televisions, computers, cell phones, etc. The Nissan LEAF battery has an 8 year /100,000 mile warranty.

4) Hydrogen is today’s answer: Perhaps, in 20 years. Unlike electricity, which is everywhere, there is no efficient way to generate hydrogen, there is no pipeline infrastructure to transport it and there are no refueling stations. It also doesn’t stay in any container well (it leaks out).

5) Nobody would buy a LEAF without big government handouts: Currently, there is a $7500 tax credit from the US government and a $2500 rebate from the state of California. Both of these will expire eventually, and then we’ll know if this is right or wrong!!

- - - Updated - - -

Here's my "parking ticket":

Courtesy Notice - Parking Violation
This vehicle is blocking an Electric Vehicle Recharging Station. This parking space is designated for Electric Vehicles Only.
Parking in a way that prevents use of the Recharging Station is not only illegal, it can leave an Electric Vehicle driver stranded. I'm sure you enjoy not finding your gasoline refueling stations blocked with non-gasoline powered cars !!!

Under California Vehicle Code section 22511, vehicles parked in spaces reserved for electric vehicles are subject to fines and may be towed away at the owner's expense. We prefer to avoid taking such action unless absolutely necessary.

Notifying the police or sheriff's department may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space designated for electric vehicles to the nearest impound garage, pursuant to DMV rules.

Per DMV rules, "zero-emission vehicle" means any car, truck, or any other vehicle that produces no tailpipe or evaporative emissions.

Last edited:
2012 Toyota Rav4 Electric Electric
• Not a hybrid; powered 100% by electricity that is mostly made in USA, not the Middle East. Very little electricity is produced from oil in the USA. No electricity comes from outside North America. No soldiers die defending electricity. There aren’t coal mines in California; most state electricity is from natural gas
• There is no gasoline motor; no smog checks, oil changes, camshaft belts, tune-ups, air and oil filters, or oil drips on the driveway/garage. The Chevrolet Volt uses a gasoline motor in addition to the electric motor, as does a Toyota Prius and Fisker Karma. Other pure electric cars are Coda, Tesla Roadster and Model S, Ford Focus EV, Nissan LEAF, BMW ActiveE and Honda Fit EV. Coming is Smart ED, Chevrolet Spark, Volkswagon Golf EV, Tesla Model X and BMW i3
• Zero tailpipe emissions, and zero emissions from electricity produced by geothermal, solar, wind, and hydro (dam) power, and even nuclear. At my house, I have 8kW of solar powered electrical production
• 92 to 113 mile range (EPA 103 combined), up to 142 miles at a steady 65mph. It’s possible to drive over 200 miles at exceptionally slow speeds. It’s important to note that range will reduce with age, miles, and exposure to high temperatures
• 104 mph top speed, 0-60mph in 7 seconds, 273 foot/pounds torque
• Lithium battery has a 8 year/100,000 mile warranty
o No “battery acid” in 50kWh battery pack, with 41.8kWh usable
o Uses thousand of “AA” size batteries, Panasonic 18650CG / 2200mah cells
o Power does not taper off as battery gets lower in energy
o Everything inside is recyclable
• The car’s charger draws up to 9.6 kW (40 amps at 240 volts); about the same as a large home air conditioner. Can charge from a normal 120 volt wall plug
• Charging is normally done overnight, just like plugging in your cell phone. It can be charged in 3 to 5 hours at a rate of 30 miles added per hour of charging
• Highest rated 4 / 5 star crash test (4 Door SUV class) by US government
• The car is equipped with a noise maker so that pedestrians can hear it coming. Yes, it’s that quiet.
• COSTS:
o Purchase is $51,000, a lease is about $600- $800 per month. $7500 federal tax credit and $2500 California state rebate apply
o $3 to $6 to "fill up" the battery with electricity overnight at your house
o 4.8 cents per mile energy cost (2.5 miles per kWh @ $0.12 each)
• It costs 20 cents per mile for 20mpg gas car at $4 gallon for gas
• Toyota Prius hybrid car costs 8 cents per mile (about 70% more)
• Made in Woodstock, Ontario, Canada by Toyota
o Only 2600 to be built over 3 years to comply with California Zero Emissions
o The batteries and electric drive train built in Fremont, California by Tesla Motors. The same equipment is used in their world class Tesla Model S.
• Eligible for California HOV (White Car Pool Lane Sticker) until January 2015

Fun Gasoline Facts:

• To extract and refine one gallon of gasoline takes about 6 kWh of energy. That much electrical power can power a typical electric vehicle about 20 miles.
• In 2010, the U.S. imported oil from Mexico (11%) and from Canada (21%), however, 42% comes from OPEC.
• Only about 25% of the energy of gasoline is used to propel a car. The other 75% of the energy is wasted as heat, in addition to the energy to extract, transport and refine.

Popular Misconceptions:

1. Electricity is produced from coal: Yes, it is in much of the USA; about 45%, but not in San Diego. Presently SDG&E has only one contract for energy that comes from coal, and it accounts for just 3% overall energy. The contract will sunset in 2013, at which time SDG&E will have no direct coal-sourced supplies. SDG&E is building a 500kV line called the Sunrise Powerlink, a 120-mile line intended to carry renewable energy (solar, wind, etc) from the Imperial Valley to San Diego. The line is expected to be in service in soon . In addition, a significant percentage of electric vehicle owners have solar panels at home.

2) Electric car batteries will fill up landfills with toxic waste: 94% of lead-acid batteries that EVERY gas car has are recycled and there is no reason that Li-ion batteries cannot be recycled as well. Unlike lead-acid batteries, in addition to recycling, a secondary market will be created for used electric vehicle batteries to provide residential and commercial electricity during peak demand periods.

3) Batteries cost too much: Yes, they are very expensive. But, like any emerging technology, the cost is coming down with widespread adoption, like televisions, computers, cell phones, etc. Electric vehicle batteries have an 8 year /100,000 mile warranty.

4) Hydrogen is today’s answer: Perhaps, in 20 years. Unlike electricity, which is everywhere, there is no efficient way to generate hydrogen, there is no pipeline infrastructure to transport it and there are no refueling stations. It also doesn’t stay in any container well (it leaks out).

5) Nobody would buy an electric vehicle without big government handouts: Currently, there is a $7500 tax credit from the US government and a $2500 rebate from the state of California. Both of these will expire eventually, and then we’ll know if this is right or wrong!!

6) God gave us oil, so we should just use that: This is an actual statement made to me. In addition to oil, other things are also here that are “provided” that can provide power and not pollute, in addition to be perpetual, like solar, water, wind, tidal and geothermal derived electricity. No wars are required to maintain these sources, and they don’t pollute.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for sharing that, Tony!

One follow-up...

Any update on this?

In the near future, the Sunrise Powerlink will deliver a significant amount of wind and solar power to San Diego. Over the past three years, SDG&E has signed eight renewable agreements for more than 1,000 MW of solar and wind power from projects in Imperial County; that green energy will be transmitted across the Sunrise Powerlink.

By 2020, 33 percent of SDG&E’s power will be derived from renewable resources. In 2011, more than 20 percent of SDG&E’s electricity was obtained from renewable energy.

ARNOLD "I BE BACK" GOVERNATOR
07/27/2012
Sunrise Powerlink Completed to Deliver Clean Energy

It was a great honor to be with Governor Brown, SDG&E, and everyone else yesterday to celebrated the completion of the Sunrise Powerlink. We have known for a long time that the Imperial Valley is a gold mine for wind and solar energy. Tapping that gold mine was the hard part, and that's why we fought for 5 years to get the permits issued for the Sunrise Powerlink, which will function as a pipeline for renewables to provide Southern California with 1,000 megawatts of clean energy.

It was a fantastic event. I love action, and I loved seeing this project come to fruition after being there through the 11,000 pages of environmental impact report and the groundbreaking. Thank you to everyone who made it possible.

Last edited:
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO GAVE ME FEEDBACK!!

I am working on this again (after an amazing week of driving, learning, modifying, cleaning and enjoying my Nikki) and should have something updated/improved in a few days.

Yes, I'd consider selling these - It would be quite inexpensive, especially if I combined orders to get higher volume discounts... let me post another one before we do anything else.

Also, I'd be happy to make it available in native format (InDesign).

David

I'd consider changing the font. It looks a little too home made for my taste to get the right feeling for such a car (hate to use that word, but it's not as "apple"-esque as the car itself is)
And I'd also not use my real email address but made a new account (gmail etc) and set it to forward to your main one